• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Yamaha receiver Direct mode

Xgm3

So when my receiver is in Direct mode it makes a clicking sound. The clicking sound only happens when there is a signal coming into the receiver. I hope I explained that well. Does anyone know if this is supposed to happen? Is this ok for the receiver to do?

First, when it is clicking, is the source a digital input or analog input?

Second, have you tried different sources and input channels to see if it is coming from the source?

Clicking through the speakers, or in the unit itself? My Onkyo has a significant internal click when going into "pure audio" mode where it shuts off the video processors. But it's not a noise that comes out through the speakers. Dunno if "direct mode" means the same thing in a yamaha...

Digital input and only happens in Direct mode. No other inputs do this. The clicking comes from the receiver not through the speakers.

Is it a constant clicking or just a clicking as it switches over?

A single click as it switches wouldn't bother me. Constant clicking, something's wrong.

^^^ Agreed; my 765 clicks when I switch it to Pure Direct, but just once.

It's just a single click so I think I'm good. I should have said it is just a single click when it switches over. I knew I didn't do a good job of explaining what was happening. Thanks for the replies!

Last edited:
Oh... yeah, all the receivers and preamps do that. There are physical relays switching things off and routing audio.

I just checked with my office receiver (Yamaha RX-v565) and I get that single click going into and out of Direct mode. No problems at all with the receiver. Since it's a single click I'd not worry.

Back