• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Yellow light of Death PS3

Srvy

Well this weekend my kids were playing Little Big Planet and my 5 year old 80 gb 4 port PS3 started freezing and would have to reboot. Well after doing this we got a yellow light then blinking red light with 3 beeps. If you power down and turn on same green to yellow then red blinking light and 3 beeps. Doing a little research they call it YLOD its most likely cause is the solder was leadless on the earlier PS3 a Sony choice. From what ive read its from heating up then cooling down over time the solder breaks down and separates from the board. Ive also read that Sony will fix it for 150.00 plus shipping and any tax. Kinda seems they screwed the pooch on this and should fix there earlier models for free or give replacements. Anyway for u all out there with early models beware that problem seems the LATER ONES INCLUDING THE SLIM DONT HAVE A YLOD PROBLEM. Oh well 5 good years I have a Target extended service on it ill have to check if I renewed as the kids are driving me crazy to get another.

Five years out of a game system with kids playing almost daily is rather good. Hopefully your extended warranty is still valid with target and you can get a free replacement.

MatthewB said:
Five years out of a game system with kids playing almost daily is rather good. Hopefully your extended warranty is still valid with target and you can get a free replacement.

Yeah got lot of good out of it its toast though and I never renewed so Target extended service has expired. There playing the XBOX now Disney Universe and Minecraft but they miss the Big Planet on PS3 so looks like another is in the works. My biggest gripe is retrieving the data off the old harddrive. Seems what i have read to completely transfer properly reqires a PS3 to PS3 direct hard wired transfer. Ive backed up to a usb drive but I guess it wont transfer everything if i read forum posts correctly.

I remember when people never dreamed of owning a game console for more than two years because a new model which was 100x faster and better was coming out every two years.

Yeah, it might be hard to recover the save games. In theory you could rip out the hard drive from the dead ps3 (it should be just a standard ide or sata drive), use a PC to transfer data from the drive to, say, a usb memory stick, and load that onto the new ps3. But I don't know for sure that the software would allow this to work properly...

PaulyT said:
Yeah, it might be hard to recover the save games. In theory you could rip out the hard drive from the dead ps3 (it should be just a standard ide or sata drive), use a PC to transfer data from the drive to, say, a usb memory stick, and load that onto the new ps3. But I don't know for sure that the software would allow this to work properly...

Hey thats an Idea and certainly worth a try. I opened it and it has a Seagate barracuda 80g drive in it.

Back