• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it.....

Razz

Find a decent "powered" desktop speaker for under $200

Specifications....
1. Must be under 5.5 inches (in height or width)
2. Must have RCA L/R input into one speaker (right) and connects to the left with speaker wire (or whatever wire comes with it)
3. Must sound as good as possible given my $200 limit.
4. Must be of dark or black in color, may have some exceptions if it's really good. But no blinking lights or anything stupid.
5. Must NOT be from China.

This message will... um......well......not self destruct. I don't want to blow up our website.

GO!

Last edited:
Find a decent "powered" desktop speaker for under $200

Specifications....
1. Must be under 5 inches (in height or width)
2. Must have RCA L/R input into one speaker (right) and connects to the left with speaker wire (or whatever wire comes with it)
3. Must sound as good as possible given my $200 limit.
4. Must be of dark or black in color, may have some exceptions if it's really good. But no blinking lights or anything stupid.
5. Must NOT be from China.

This message will... um......well......not self destruct. I don't want to blow up our website.

GO!

Do they need to be made out of Unobtanium as well?

The bit about not being Chinese made is a real challenge. I made a thus-far failed attempt to start an A/V company built around a product I will be able to finally show off soon. I tried to avoid Chinese products but...

The subwoofer drivers were designed and sold by a U.S. company, but were made in China
The TV life mechanism was designed by a European company and distributed by an American company, but was made in China
The cooling system was designed by and purchased from a U.S. company with parts made in China
The only company that would work with me on certified WiSA plate amps was Chinese
At least the coax drivers came from Indonesia

It is damned near impossible to avoid Chinese sourced parts.

Flint could make you something amazing to spec, but probably not active speakers at that price point. Have you looked at Mackie or Edifier? I have affordable small speakers from both and am quite happy with them. Mackie CR3s meet your dimensions. I have a pair on my desk and like them a lot, but they are half your budget and you might be able to find something better. They are also designed in the States, but made in China.

Subscribed because I need to replace my desktop speakers at work and havent been able to convince myself to spend the dough.

DAMN!
I didn't realize that so much is actually made in China.
The Mackie CR3 might work (even though they are made in China)
Haywood, you say you like them but feel there might be something better?

I just found a way to go passive speaker as well. That seams to give me more options.
I don't want a sub unit.

Is Edifer any good? Never heard of them.

DAMN!
I didn't realize that so much is actually made in China.
The Mackie CR3 might work (even though they are made in China)
Haywood, you say you like them but feel there might be something better?

I just found a way to go passive speaker as well. That seams to give me more options.
I don't want a sub unit.

Is Edifer any good? Never heard of them.

They cost less than a hundred dollars, so there is likely other stuff out there at high price points. My only complaint with them is that they don't sound great if you turn them up loud unless you add a subwoofer with a crossover and remove the bass from the speakers. That said, they are not intended for cranking and sound fine at normal desktop volumes. I'm pretty happy with them overall. I have a sub, but I haven't used it since I redid my setup in October. It is one of those things I keep meaning to do but never get around to, which probably says a lot.

for what its worth, i just got some jamos, and love the way it sounds.

i just got the S805's and love em, so the drivers are similar. i was planning to get S801's as well for surrounds, but not powered.

i was also going to recommend Micca's but they are not powered.

I would prefer to go passive with a cool little tube amp on my desk, but I don't have room for it.

And, now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Back