• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

SVS SB12-NSD is on sale

Snake Doctor

Here is the thing, I have agonized for a while about replacing my very old, very inexpensive subwoofer. I have decided that I am going to do it, the question is when and how much of a sub do I need.

SVS is having a sale on the SB12-NSD. I have done a little research and it seems that it was originally sold as a part of the of the Ultra Speaker System. Now my question is do I go with that subwoofer for $400 or should I move up into the $1,500 range, give or take? Will a sub that sells for much more, deliver much more?

Also, if I remember correctly not everyone is pro-SVS since it was sold???

BTW Happy Thanksgiving to all of you, what a great group of people!!

i have the SB-1000 and since it was within my price point, i was happy about it.

if i could do it over again id spend a sh*tload of an investment in the best subwoofer you can find, and be content for the next decade or so. or go dual.

anyways, we also have some other companies that may accomodate what you need, but as much as the price is tempting, i would find a better, long term solution you can get for a hernia.

Snake Doctor, do you watch mostly action movies, or music concerts?
My sub isn't very powerful, and the FR looks pretty bad on paper, but it pleased my ears the most with music, and I don't see outgrowing it.

Just show up at Bat's next GTG and buy one of his cast-offs.

:)

Jeff

I remember when I upgraded my "very inexpensive" subwoofer for an SVS 2039-PC Plus. I recall starting a thread describing how replacing the subwoofer actually improved my speakers.

I'm not endorsing SVS per sè just saying that the subwoofer is an important part of the speaker system and improving it's performance can be very worthwhile.

I remember when I upgraded my "very inexpensive" subwoofer for an SVS 2039-PC Plus. I recall starting a thread describing how replacing the subwoofer actually improved my speakers.

I'm not endorsing SVS per sè just saying that the subwoofer is an important part of the speaker system and improving it's performance can be very worthwhile.
And I can recall you being extremely instrumental in helping me sketch-out (literally!) a wiring diagram that would allow me to purchase and install an SVS PB-13 Ultra in my main HT - after hearing one at Bat's place.

I still have that sketch.

Jeff

ps. Forever grateful Tom!

Snake Doctor, do you watch mostly action movies, or music concerts?
My sub isn't very powerful, and the FR looks pretty bad on paper, but it pleased my ears the most with music, and I don't see outgrowing it.

That is a difficult question to answer. I take spells of watching tv and movies, then I move to music as my main source of entertainment, then back again.

My SVS PB12-Plus/2 is probably the best $1500 I ever spent on the audio side of my system, but it does predate the ownership change. I have no experience with their newer products.

I look at questions like this as I would a long term investment. The smaller sub is definitely better than your currently sub and you would have a superior experience to the one you have today. The larger sub will clearly blow away your current sub and give you an experience on a level you have never experienced, or can imagine experiencing, in your home.

However, there's a $1,000 difference. What could you do with that $1,000 if you didn't spend it on the subwoofer? The sub will likely last 5 years or more, so the money question is one of effectively about $200 a year, if you amortize that expense over five years. You also have to find place to put it, which is hard for some people, ahem, MattB.

What would be a better use of that money if you were going to spend it either way? Better main speakers? A larger amplifier? More discs or content? A new seating setup? Acoustic treatments?

In simple terms, the sweet spot for amazing subwoofer performance is currently about $1,000 for a subwoofer. Spending more will get you more up to a point (depending on the size of your room and how loud you like to listen).

So, what to do?

Me? I like clean, natural, effortless, powerful bass coming for a subwoofer I can hardly tell is in the room until the content reminds my why I put so much effort into getting amazing bass. I would buy the bigger, costlier subwoofer.

My SVS PB12-Plus/2 is probably the best $1500 I ever spent on the audio side of my system, but it does predate the ownership change. I have no experience with their newer products.

^^^What he said!^^^ Exactly what he said.

I like that they specifically address Canadian customers.

Question for TomV if he sees this. Do you really mean "bottom line price" - including all taxes, brokerage fees, etc.? Could you illustrate with an example? Take me (Ottawa), and break down what the bottom line would be for the on-sale S1800 ($1049.99US)? Something concrete that I can pass along to my friends up here in case they are interested.

Jeff

However, there's a $1,000 difference. What could you do with that $1,000 if you didn't spend it on the subwoofer? The sub will likely last 5 years or more, so the money question is one of effectively about $200 a year, if you amortize that expense over five years.

Also keep in mind that Flint is being ultra conservative. I've had mine for 9.5 years and have no plans to upgrade any time in the foreseeable future. I fully expect to get at least 15-20 years out of this sub, even I don't use it in the dedicated theater I someday hope to build. The fact that it is so pretty that it can be used as a piece of furniture makes it a LOT easier, because my wife does not mind having it in the living room.

Also keep in mind that Flint is being ultra conservative. I've had mine for 9.5 years and have no plans to upgrade any time in the foreseeable future. I fully expect to get at least 15-20 years out of this sub, even I don't use it in the dedicated theater I someday hope to build. The fact that it is so pretty that it can be used as a piece of furniture makes it a LOT easier, because my wife does not mind having it in the living room.

What he said again. I cant remember when I bought mine but I have had it for a number of years. Flints amortization can easily be extended out another 5 years if youre a guy like me.

I have the 1500 dollar PSA s3000i sub. It's a dual 15" sealed sub the size of an end table. It replaced an svs pc 25-31 nsd this past spring. My room is 2700cu ft or so and acoustically treated. All I can say is that there is absolutely no comparison. For music it is tight and disappears completely unless it needs to dig deep. I love it for music. Movies....it's scary what this thing does. We watched the jungle book on thanksgiving and the couch was shaking big time. The output is pretty amazing over the svs. But the quality of bass is on another level. I liked my svs, but the PSA is on an entirely different level. If you plan to hold onto it for awhile..../get the best you can afford.

I am still plugging along with the SVS 20-39 PC+ I bought used from Huey a number of years ago.

Huey will have to jog my memory as to exactly how long ago that was.

I have the 1500 dollar PSA s3000i sub. It's a dual 15" sealed sub the size of an end table. It replaced an svs pc 25-31 nsd this past spring. My room is 2700cu ft or so and acoustically treated. All I can say is that there is absolutely no comparison. For music it is tight and disappears completely unless it needs to dig deep. I love it for music. Movies....it's scary what this thing does. We watched the jungle book on thanksgiving and the couch was shaking big time. The output is pretty amazing over the svs. But the quality of bass is on another level. I liked my svs, but the PSA is on an entirely different level. If you plan to hold onto it for awhile..../get the best you can afford.
Imagine how two of these perform in an 1800 cu ft room. :love:

I am still plugging along with the SVS 20-39 PC+ I bought used from Huey a number of years ago.

Huey will have to jog my memory as to exactly how long ago that was.
I really like that sub. Works perfectly in the 2.1 system within my main HT. I can imagine it would do very well in a full 5.1 system as the solo sub (for those inclined that way) as well.

Jeff

My PB12-Plus\2 could pressurize the 3300 cubic foot living room I had in Florida enough to make the glass on the windows bow. I cannot imagine needing anything bigger until I can build a dedicated room. I am not even beginning to tap it in my current 1800 cubic foot living room.

Back