• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

SVS SB12-NSD is on sale

I am still plugging along with the SVS 20-39 PC+ I bought used from Huey a number of years ago.

Huey will have to jog my memory as to exactly how long ago that was.
I think Emma was 5 when we met up there in Ohio, and she's 13 now, so somewhere around 8 years ago. Glad to hear it's still thumping away after all of these years.

I know the speakers I have were excellent when I bought them and they are excellent today. I am a believer that if you have good speakers and good electronics you are pretty much set for a very long time.

So to my question, would I be just as well off buying a good used subwoofer as I would buying a new one? I would think the cost would be much less and the quality of sound should be approximately the same. If that is true then the question would be how to find top of the line "used" sub?

Thoughts?

With any passive speaker, I'd agree with you 100%.
Plus, I've never had an amplifier, in either my 1979 Yamaha integrated amp, nor my 2009 Yamaha receiver, go bad.
But, now, my "powered" sub (which I bought new in 2009) had its amp burn out after two years, I was not happy about that.
But, that's just one data point.

I'm not much help, am I? :rolleyes:

I still buy used things, in fact I just bought a used, rather expensive, camera lens a couple nights ago, haven't received it yet. I don't buy "factory-refurbished" anything anymore; I bought 3 items in that category over the years, and all three were not worth the headache. Again, not statistically meaningful, but when its your own money involved, them data points become more "weighted".
FWIW.

It will depend on the used component. I replaced the drivers in my TL15-1 EV bass bins with JBL 2226 drivers. The TL15-1 is a 4.9 cft cabinet and is ported for 50 hz. So will there be an improvement ? no, will not go lower, but the original EV drivers were bottoming out with 400 watts and the 2226 take 600 watts.
I did have to shim the metal screen on the front to raise the screen 1/4 inch. Oh, I also remembered it measures lower frequencies because harmonics go up and down.

I bought my SVS NSD 12/2 (it originally was an ISD 12/2 but upgraded the drivers when SVS first had them made and made that offer to current ISD owners. Anyway still use that sub and it is more than I need for my space. In fact I have my Marantz at -10 the gain on the sub at 3 and it will pressurize the room.

My first thought would be to get exact measurements for your room and buy the sub that will pressurize that entire space. Buy too much of a sub and your wasting money as you will never use all of its true potential and buy too little a sub and you get a fart box.

Back