• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Plex DVR with Live TV

Haywood

Famous
The Plex DVR solution is finally reaching maturity. The benefits are numerous. Running on Plex also means that you an access both recorded content and live TV from any Android or iOS mobile device. It also works with a ton of tuners and you control where the recordings are stored. A big side benefit is that you can run third-party software that strips out all of the ads from completed recordings and creates a transcoded copies in whatever format and quality you want. You could even archive your processed DVR content to the cloud using the third-party cloud backup tool of your choice and use Plex Cloud to present your library of recordings, giving you what amounts to unlimited DVR storage.

https://www.plex.tv/blog/well-do-it...t=live_tv_dvr_button&utm_campaign=Live+TV+DVR

I haven't been paying much attention to the expanding skills of Plex, so this may be a dumb question...

Does signing up for a lifetime Plex Pass include this? Or this is above that?

I haven't been paying much attention to the expanding skills of Plex, so this may be a dumb question...

Does signing up for a lifetime Plex Pass include this? Or this is above that?

Everything is included with the Plex Pass. I paid $75 for my pass when they were first introduced and enjoy all of the many benefits thereof. It is a very good deal and there are rumors that they are planning to stop offering it, leaving subscription the only option for new adopters.

This is what you currently get with a Plex Pass:
https://www.plex.tv/features/plex-pass/

Everything is included with the Plex Pass. I paid $75 for my pass when they were first introduced and enjoy all of the many benefits thereof. It is a very good deal and there are rumors that they are planning to stop offering it, leaving subscription the only option for new adopters.

This is what you currently get with a Plex Pass:
https://www.plex.tv/features/plex-pass/
Hmmm...I've been on the monthly subscription as I wanted to try it out...think I'll go to the lifetime (currently $119.99)
right now.

I am interested in this now that we have cancelled Dish Network. Is the expectation that Live TV and DVR via Plex will eventually be available via the Roku app? Right now it seems to be Android and iOS devices only. Is that correct?

They
I am interested in this now that we have cancelled Dish Network. Is the expectation that Live TV and DVR via Plex will eventually be available via the Roku app? Right now it seems to be Android and iOS devices only. Is that correct?
They are already working on expanding to the rest of the supported devices. Roku should be early, due to its popularity. Some of the dedicated clients already support it and you can get excellent hardware for one at about $100.

They

They are already working on expanding to the rest of the supported devices. Roku should be early, due to its popularity. Some of the dedicated clients already support it and you can get excellent hardware for one at about $100.

Are you talking about tuner hardware or client hardware?

Are you talking about tuner hardware or client hardware?

I was talking about embedded Plex clients (Plex Media Player or OpenPHT), which I thought supported it. Unfortunately, neither one does yet. Your best bet would be an NVidia Shield, which is a fantastic Plex client that can direct stream almost anything and can also act as a Plex Server.

I am personally holding out hope that OpenPHT will add support, because it has the best looking user interface of any Plex client out there. I run it on a Wetek Hub, which costs about $100 shipped, using the Plex Black skin. A couple people at the GTG saw what it looks like on my laptop. It is very artwork intensive and looks amazing. The other major embedded client is Plex Media Player, which is the official one from Plex (OpenPHT is opensource). Plex also has a very cool client that runs as an app inside Kodi and most strongly resembled Apple TV. There is also an opensource community plugin called PlexKodiConnect that lets you use Kodi on the front-end and Plex Media Server on the back-end.

OK, I've looked at this and just wanted to make sure I "got it" correctly
  1. It will organize and pretty up your video/audio library
  2. It will act as a DVR for OTA broadcasts
  3. It will stream to a USB dongle for your TV (E.g., Fire Stick)
  4. It will stream from your computer/server to other devices (e.g., tablet)
  5. It will provide "TV Guide" services through their paid service

My assumption is that the DVR function doesn't work with other paid services, e.g., Netflix is just an example, but i'm thinking more live events, like sports on MLB.com, or something similar rather than something that is already available on demand.
It would seem to mimic everything a Tivo has already other than it doesn't come with it's own hardware -- or am I missing something?

You can pay $5/mo or a one-time fee of somewhere around $150. It is worth it, because having a Plex Pass enables a lot of features. Plex can stream to almost every device known to man (Android, Android TV, iOS, TVOS, FireTV, Roku, most Smart TVs, PlayStation, XBox, Windows 10, Mac and any web browser that supports HTML 5). It also allows you to synchronize content to the local storage on your phone from anywhere you have internet access. As long as your files are named correctly, it does almost all of the work for you. It also incorporates movie extras (i.e. trailers and documentaries) into your movie library. The music functionality is very nice too.

One neat thing about their DVR is that it stores the data out in the clear on whatever storage solution you have handy. That means you can run third-party software to find and remove the ads.

Haywood...I downloaded a movie and it had english subtitles in an .srt file.
Is there a way to get plex to recognize or use that file?

Back