• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Misplaced Priorities: Divorcee's Used Gear Sale

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
So a long time co-worker of mine, a very nice lady, is selling off the stuff she got in the divorce, including a "very high end home theater system" her ex-husband fought hard to keep from her in the division of assets portion of their divorce. He relented in order to keep the luxury sports car (I think it was a Lexus Coupe).

Anyway, she asked me to help her price it so she could get the most from the sale of the gear. It included an entry level Yamaha receiver, two bottom of the line Klipsch tower speakers, a higher end Klipsch center channel speaker, two Klipsch dipolar surround speakers, an entry level Klipsch subwoofer, a full suite of Monster Cables, and a Monster Power HTS 3600 power conditioner. Just looking at what her husband purchased shows some kid at Best Buy got a fat commission off that sale. Based on the original retail prices for that complement of gear, more than half of it went to Monster in their cables and power conditioner. I felt bad for her because the cables have almost no resale value and the receiver isn't worth much either. The speakers should get her about $200 to $250. But, looking on eBay, the Monster Power line conditioner isn't worth more than $100, even though she told me the sales receipt shows her husband paid $375 for it just a couple of years ago. Damn.

In total I think she can get about $400 for all of it, but what a shame that bad education and unscrupulous salesmen do this to people. And if her ex-husband knew how little it was really worth he would have been pissed off.

So a long time co-worker of mine, a very nice lady, is selling off the stuff she got in the divorce, including a "very high end home theater system" her ex-husband fought hard to keep from her in the division of assets portion of their divorce. He relented in order to keep the luxury sports car (I think it was a Lexus Coupe).

Anyway, she asked me to help her price it so she could get the most from the sale of the gear. It included an entry level Yamaha receiver, two bottom of the line Klipsch tower speakers, a higher end Klipsch center channel speaker, two Klipsch dipolar surround speakers, an entry level Klipsch subwoofer, a full suite of Monster Cables, and a Monster Power HTS 3600 power conditioner. Just looking at what her husband purchased shows some kid at Best Buy got a fat commission off that sale. Based on the original retail prices for that complement of gear, more than half of it went to Monster in their cables and power conditioner. I felt bad for her because the cables have almost no resale value and the receiver isn't worth much either. The speakers should get her about $200 to $250. But, looking on eBay, the Monster Power line conditioner isn't worth more than $100, even though she told me the sales receipt shows her husband paid $375 for it just a couple of years ago. Damn.

In total I think she can get about $400 for all of it, but what a shame that bad education and unscrupulous salesmen do this to people. And if her ex-husband knew how little it was really worth he would have been pissed off.
Smart fucker knew it all along and played her in order to keep the Lexus!

Smart fucker knew it all along and played her in order to keep the Lexus!

I don't think so. Since they knew my interest in the topic at office parties and happy hours he would hunt me down to brag about his HT gear - his gear, mind you, not his home theater or the joy it brings him. I never really paid attention other than to be nice, so I didn't ever ask what he owned.

I don't think so. Since they knew my interest in the topic at office parties and happy hours he would hunt me down to brag about his HT gear - his gear, mind you, not his home theater or the joy it brings him. I never really paid attention other than to be nice, so I didn't ever ask what he owned.
So he was playing the long con knowing well in advance where his marriage was going!

Doubly smart fucker!

This makes me wonder ... in what ways have I been taken advantage of? Have I paid too much for, or thought I was going “high end” when it was just a notch above “junk”.

There so much I don’t know about cars, computers, appliances, cameras and accessories...

Back