• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Just don't know - Sub calibration

bmwuk

Listened to music last night, some based on the rrcommendations, running a 2 channel with sub. I can't say I was particularly moved. Then even threw on a bass heavy rap song and still nothing impressive. What am I missing? I quite frankly can't say adding gain did much of anything . Since it is my first sub I'm new to calibrating and I'm not sure I trust Yamaha and their YPAO for subs. And the damn thing defaults on calibration that the sub is 25' away. Confused completely.

And no I don't understand 3db above octave etc.

To add, I thought the sub would have more transducer esque moments. Not feeling to much

Did you adjust gain on the sub or in the Yamaha?
External. I have no idea where to begin setting on the sub. Then from there I calibrated the sub via YPAO. I believe I have about 40% on the dial when I calibrated

I purchased some PSA subs soon after they were introduced and noticed they were anemic when the gain was set below the 12:00 position whereas every SVS sub I had would pound when the gain knob was set anywhere between 11:00 - 12:00. I contacted Tom V and he suggested I set the gain to the 2:00 or 3:00 position and re-calibrate. That did the trick so you might want to give it a shot.

Set the level on the sub higher and run the Yamaha calibration again.

When running the calibration, ignore their distance setting. It is based on phase and arrival time, not actual distance. So, if your main speakers have a phase response AND distance which makes the impulse at 80Hz arrive later, then the sub has phase and distance which seems closer, then the DSP needs to set the sub to a much greater distance.

I am also interested in the crossover frequency settings for the mains (set to small, I hope) and the subwoofer.

No doubt you have a setting off. Mine behaves like that when pre/amp selects or gets stuck in 5.1 mode.
That sub should and will knock pictures off your walls if you want it to, even in stereo music listening.

Set the level on the sub higher and run the Yamaha calibration again.

When running the calibration, ignore their distance setting. It is based on phase and arrival time, not actual distance. So, if your main speakers have a phase response AND distance which makes the impulse at 80Hz arrive later, then the sub has phase and distance which seems closer, then the DSP needs to set the sub to a much greater distance.

I am also interested in the crossover frequency settings for the mains (set to small, I hope) and the subwoofer.
All small settings for my 4 speakers

It is downward firing
Driver orientation has no bearing. A forward firing speaker driver and a downward firing subwoofer driver can indeed be out of phase with one another.

Run a test tone at your XO point through your sub and the speaker nearest it. Adjust sub phase knob to achieve highest SPL reading.

Driver orientation has no bearing. A forward firing speaker driver and a downward firing subwoofer driver can indeed be out of phase with one another.

Run a test tone at your XO point through your sub and the speaker nearest it. Adjust sub phase knob to achieve highest SPL reading.
I wish I could find a giphy image to show my bewilderment of your answer.
Can you laymen that for me please

If your speakers are set to "Small" in your bass management, you were likely given the option to select a frequency at which your main speakers transition to your subwoofer. Perhaps 80Hz? This is your crossover (XO) point.

Within the arrangement of your speakers, one of your main speakers is physically closer to your subwoofer than the other main speaker is. For this procedure, you're going to want to generate an 80Hz test tone through your subwoofer AND the main speaker that's closest to the sub. If you need to, disconnect the other speaker.

With an SPL meter in the listening position, generate that 80Hz tone (the internal tones of your pre/pro that you used to set your sub level will work but a test disc would be ideal). While that tone is playing, slowly adjust the phase knob on your sub. Note the readings on the SPL meter. As you *slowly* adjust the knob from one end of its range to the other, you'll notice the SPL goes up and down. Wherever the knob is that generates the highest SPL, leave it there.

It's at this point you'll want to sit in the listening position with your favorite beverage, your favorite bass-heavy content and bask in the glow of the awesomeness.

If your speakers are set to "Small" in your bass management, you were likely given the option to select a frequency at which your main speakers transition to your subwoofer. Perhaps 80Hz? This is your crossover (XO) point.

Within the arrangement of your speakers, one of your main speakers is physically closer to your subwoofer than the other main speaker is. For this procedure, you're going to want to generate an 80Hz test tone through your subwoofer AND the main speaker that's closest to the sub. If you need to, disconnect the other speaker.

With an SPL meter in the listening position, generate that 80Hz tone (the internal tones of your pre/pro that you used to set your sub level will work but a test disc would be ideal). While that tone is playing, slowly adjust the phase knob on your sub. Note the readings on the SPL meter. As you *slowly* adjust the knob from one end of its range to the other, you'll notice the SPL goes up and down. Wherever the knob is that generates the highest SPL, leave it there.

It's at this point you'll want to sit in the listening position with your favorite beverage, your favorite bass-heavy content and bask in the glow of the awesomeness.
I'm making a video on speaker adjustment for Theta which has info on this same subject, and the advise is pretty much exactly what you've said.

You can go to the Theta Digital YouTube channel to see the ones so far.

I'm making a video on speaker adjustment for Theta which has info on this same subject, and the advise is pretty much exactly what you've said.

You can go to the Theta Digital YouTube channel to see the ones so far.
Some of us long ago recognized the genius that is Zing!

I'm not aware of anything that that man can't do.

Correction: other than being able to successfully apply for a passport...

:)

Jeff

ps. I'm starting to think there are Interpol arrest warrants issued in his name which are holding him back.

Correct on small setting and 80hz crossover. I am familiar with a test tone to individual speakers. But not 2 of them. I have a Yamaha receiver. How do I make this magic happen?

You know, in the end with bass, absolute numbers and decibel readings just don't matter all that much. Its essentially subjective, and it is certainly subjective on the part of the people who mixed the film or music in the first place. Personally, I'd just set the crossover to 80Hz and adjust the sub levels, phase, and whatever to whatever sounds best to you at the time. The setting you arrive at will surely change somewhat depending on the film or music you happen to be listening to or how you feel. That may fly in the face of everything you've heard or read, but there is always time to sweat the numbers as you refine how you listen, and how your tastes change (or don't change).

Back