• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New media cabinet

bmwuk

I have been looking for a new cabinet to accommodate my receiver, recently acquired amp and potentially another amp, along with a Bluray player.

I've seen various designs but none are perfect for my tastes and needs. The below is the closest to what I want. But it wastes a space for shelves for a drawer for media. Approximately 72" wide Max with minimal sized feet since I don't want it so far off the floor. Also, the wife isn't big into glass on the front. Thoughts or help?

Before you ask, I have zero tools to DIY for this nor the skills

20180711_093519.jpg

I have been looking for a new cabinet to accommodate my receiver, recently acquired amp and potentially another amp, along with a Bluray player.

I've seen various designs but none are perfect for my tastes and needs. The below is the closest to what I want. But it wastes a space for shelves for a drawer for media. Approximately 72" wide Max with minimal sized feet since I don't want it so far off the floor. Also, the wife isn't big into glass on the front. Thoughts or help?

Before you ask, I have zero tools to DIY for this nor the skills

View attachment 7964

That is a gorgeous cabinet! I like it.

But, all of those horizontal strips of wood are going to be dust magnets. Imagine the sheer volume of dust that will collect on them and require cleaning off. You'll be needing to wipe them down weekly to stay ahead if that issue.

That is a gorgeous cabinet! I like it.

But, all of those horizontal strips of wood are going to be dust magnets. Imagine the sheer volume of dust that will collect on them and require cleaning off. You'll be needing to wipe them down weekly to stay ahead if that issue.
True. Fair point. Anything out there? Some just have too large of feet that puts it way too high up. The cabinets with a spot for a center haven't met my center

I'm sure there are plenty out there which fit the bill. Look at the proper furniture shops online. The current popularity of Mid-Century Modern style has produced lots of great looking, pragmatic media cabinets which should fit your needs.

I had to do something different when I got my new tv last winter, and we settled on THIS from Walmart. I didn't end up using the mounting bracket for the tv, tv just sits on the top shelf, and at least for me, is the perfect height. Not sure of the dimensions of your center speaker, but there is a lot of room on the shelves, although I have my center speaker sitting in front of it on a stand. And I know the concern of stuff like this from Walmart, but this thing is built tough and easy to assemble.

If you want a cabinet with no doors or drawers, I can make it for you. Just pay for the materials plus 35% more for my time and wear & tear on my tools and I'll do it. I charge extra for a truly high end furniture finish (like shiny lacquer or perfect hand-oiled finish).

I'm a real fan of Salamander Design. https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/av-cabinets/. Below is what is used today. Totally customized to my specifications. I chose no glass. The cabinet below, I wanted glass. Don't know your budget, or desire to spend $$$. Top quality, but not cheap. Good luck in your search.

image.jpg

This is what I used until I moved along with the one above. It's in the basement housing router and some other devices. As with the one above you can customize.

image.jpg

Nice stuff.
I've been going crazy looking for exactly what I want for my music room at the right price. All I'm missing to complete my room is a few framed posters and a low, long, dual open shelf A/V rack with some storage.

Glass fronts. I've seen a few on Facebook Market place but not the one or two I like. They've sold for dirt cheap

Are they actual BDI branded cabinets? BDI cabinets are built specifically for home theater, have excellent ventilation and are very well built. Mine was badly mistreated during a move and has a few minor blemishes on the top, but otherwise survived moving from Florida to Michigan to Massachusetts very well. I've had it almost ten years.

Are they actual BDI branded cabinets? BDI cabinets are built specifically for home theater, have excellent ventilation and are very well built. Mine was badly mistreated during a move and has a few minor blemishes on the top, but otherwise survived moving from Florida to Michigan to Massachusetts very well. I've had it almost ten years.
Yes. Both were

My current setup with the stand off center to keep the center in the middle. The ATI amp is behind the batarang intentionally since I noted the amp can tip forward if not careful. rps20180711_223800.jpg

A lot of those cabinets are basically credenzas which remind me of the old console stereos from the 60s and early 70s.

What height are looking for? That first one is 20”, but looking at your original picture again, maybe 16” height is what you need?

Back