• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Ported vs sealed Sub, What's your preference?

Yes, in smaller rooms where the room pressurizes at higher frequencies, like 30Hz, a sealed sub would be preferred because a ported sub would have far too much output in the subsonic frequencies. Room gain is a real thing, so in a room where the gain at 25Hz is 24dB where the room gain at 50Hz is 12dB, then the output from the sub at 25Hz will be 12dB louder than at 50Hz if it has a flat response. You really don't want that as it will make it too boomy for no benefits to accuracy or detail. Similarly, if you have a habit of adjusting your subwoofer to be far louder than your main speakers, a ported sub will exaggerate the difference and when hit with a ton of truly deep subsonic energy from those specific movies and songs which have it can make somewhat overbearing bass completely out of control over the top boomy bass that is not pleasing. So, people who insist on cranking their subs often think a sealed sub sounds more "musical".

Likewise, if the desire is to keep the price down, a sealed sub generally does better in the 40Hz to 80Hz range per dollar if you're looking for a $400 subwoofer. However, that, to me, isn't a "subwoofer" since it doesn't provide significant output in the octave from 20Hz to 40Hz.

Also, outdoor speakers and car audio speakers tend to last longer if they are sealed, for obvious reasons.

If my little speaker company ever gets into the subwoofer business, then I am sure we'd offer both sealed and ported models.

Oh, another time sealed is almost always better than vented is when you are buying 50x more subwoofer than your HT could ever possibly want. Why drop an extra 10% on a vented version and take up an extra 25% of the volume in the room???

Of course, the original question was which was your preference. For which none of my ranting about theoretical ideals and results in the laboratory matter at all. Preference cares not about science or facts, it is about what pleases you the most.

Yes, in smaller rooms where the room pressurizes at higher frequencies, like 30Hz, a sealed sub would be preferred because a ported sub would have far too much output in the subsonic frequencies. Room gain is a real thing, so in a room where the gain at 25Hz is 24dB where the room gain at 50Hz is 12dB, then the output from the sub at 25Hz will be 12dB louder than at 50Hz if it has a flat response. You really don't want that as it will make it too boomy for no benefits to accuracy or detail. Similarly, if you have a habit of adjusting your subwoofer to be far louder than your main speakers, a ported sub will exaggerate the difference and when hit with a ton of truly deep subsonic energy from those specific movies and songs which have it can make somewhat overbearing bass completely out of control over the top boomy bass that is not pleasing. So, people who insist on cranking their subs often think a sealed sub sounds more "musical".

Likewise, if the desire is to keep the price down, a sealed sub generally does better in the 40Hz to 80Hz range per dollar if you're looking for a $400 subwoofer. However, that, to me, isn't a "subwoofer" since it doesn't provide significant output in the octave from 20Hz to 40Hz.

Also, outdoor speakers and car audio speakers tend to last longer if they are sealed, for obvious reasons.

If my little speaker company ever gets into the subwoofer business, then I am sure we'd offer both sealed and ported models.

Bingo!!!! Thanks.......

The next logical question, and I ask it here so that we all can learn.

What is your assessment of of my dual sealed subs performance in my dedicated room.......I now cringe waiting for your response...

Bingo!!!! Thanks.......

What is your assessment of of my dual sealed subs performance in my dedicated room.......I now cringe waiting for your response...
Terrible. You should post them for free on Facebook market place. Just let me know when and I'll be up with my SUV:p

For my sub, I actually start decreasing output at 50 hz with eq to allow for room gain to compensate. When measuring- at 15 hz I have 5dbs more than at 60 hz- which slowly decreases as we move up the frequency ladder. At 15khz, I’m about 5 dbs lower than at 60hz. If I left the sealed sub wide open - output at 15 hz is way too high for my liking. With my room, I’m getting tangible output down to 10hz. However- that’s not important to me.

Everyone that listens to my system loves the bass and it’s the first thing they say- which I find odd as I would think most people would find it lacking. I think it’s a matter of them never hearing details in bass before- and hearing that over output is shocking to them.

That said- doubt it would be impressive to anyone on this forum.....as we’re cut from a different cloth.

For my sub, I actually start decreasing output at 50 hz with eq to allow for room gain to compensate. When measuring- at 15 hz I have 5dbs more than at 60 hz- which slowly decreases as we move up the frequency ladder. At 15khz, I’m about 5 dbs lower than at 60hz. If I left the sealed sub wide open - output at 15 hz is way too high for my liking. With my room, I’m getting tangible output down to 10hz. However- that’s not important to me.

Everyone that listens to my system loves the bass and it’s the first thing they say- which I find odd as I would think most people would find it lacking. I think it’s a matter of them never hearing details in bass before- and hearing that over output is shocking to them.

That said- doubt it would be impressive to anyone on this forum.....as we’re cut from a different cloth.

Why Not?

It seems to me that simply shows the benefit of having a fantastic subwoofer/ room relationship. If you are getting tangible output down to 10hz, why wouldn't you care? That is hard to do.

For example being able to recreate the Cannon Blast from the 1812 Overture is one of those demo tracks that has been put on a pedestal for as long as I have been paying attention to this stuff.

I agree that accurate bass and detailed bass are far more important than sheer output, but man if you have both, bathe in that subsonic glory my brother.

Thanks Randy. Don’t get me wrong - it’s nice but 90% of what I listen to is going to be 30hz and up. For movies, the impact of LFE - shaking the couch and vibrating windows is, to me, more important than the feeling of my head being squeezed. I like the impact feel more than air pressure feel - if that makes sense?

If ever in Charlotte- come on over and we’ll have a few drinks and give the system a spin. That goes for anyone here.

Thanks Randy. Don’t get me wrong - it’s nice but 90% of what I listen to is going to be 30hz and up. For movies, the impact of LFE - shaking the couch and vibrating windows is, to me, more important than the feeling of my head being squeezed. I like the impact feel more than air pressure feel - if that makes sense?

If ever in Charlotte- come on over and we’ll have a few drinks and give the system a spin. That goes for anyone here.

I think you and I would get along just fine when it comes to bass performance preferences.

Bingo!!!! Thanks.......

My assessment of your system's sub-sonic performance?

Dang... it is damned impressive. Personally, I found it too strong and often quite distracting from everything else. I have become so accustomed to subwoofers almost never calling out to me with "DON'T IGNORE THE SUBS!!! WE OWN THIS ROOM AND EVERYTHING IN IT!!! INCLUDING YOU!!!!!"

But in your room, which is very much on the small size, and given the fact you have four 15" Subs with 1,500W of clean power to drive them is insane. Assuming only 12dB of room gain (from putting them on the floor against one wall), that means each sub is capable of generating over 112dB SPL at 30Hz, and you've got two, so assuming a split mono signal, that's another 6dB of potential output for a max output of 118dB SPL at 30Hz. Now, I know the size of your room, and the ceiling and side walls are all close enough to reinforce the subsonic bass, so each of those is an additional 6dB of output, making it more realistically a 136dB max output at 30Hz. Think about that!

According to their data, the maximum output of your subs at 20Hz is 7dB lower than 30Hz, making the absolute maximum output at 20Hz to be 129dB SPL. At 10Hz the absolute maximum output is 113dB SPL. Being the max output, it will be filled with distortions, but cut in half twice, and you still have a clean safe output of over 124dB SPL at 30Hz, 112dB SPL at 20Hz, and 91dB SPL at 10Hz....

But wait!!! The front wall will be adding another 6dB of room gain below about 19Hz, so the relatively safe 10Hz SPL is about 97dB.

Small rooms, which I consider yours to be, can benefit from a very large, overpowered, sealed set of subwoofers. If, however, you were looking at a very good single 15" subwoofer for your HT, I would recommend a vented model. With two 15" drivers I could go either way, the vented models might need some EQ to soften the output, but a sealed version might need a boost and could run out of oomph below 25Hz for some content and desired levels. But four 15" woofers and over 3,000W of peak power??? Damn, bro!

Every instance where a sub is being installed is different. If you really do intend to buy loads and loads of woofers for your room, then sealed can often be better than vented. But if you just want one good subwoofer, then vented is likely better, but there are exceptions to both rules, and the size of the room plays a hugely critical role in those exceptions.

Ultimately, your are all pussies for not having Infinite Baffle subwoofers like Snowman and Me.

I just realized, when doing the math on room gain I failed to realize that in your room, the bas will pressurize everything below about 16.5Hz. You have a "port" in the cutout for the stereo, so I cannot predict exactly what the gain will be, but it could be 18dB below 14Hz.

This would've been nice to know at the end of October when American Airlines put us up at the disgusting Baymont no tell motel.

Unacceptable. You know I live here. You, like Chris, can just contact me and all is good.
Now you know. No more excuses.

My assessment of your system's sub-sonic performance?

Dang... it is damned impressive. Personally, I found it too strong and often quite distracting from everything else. I have become so accustomed to subwoofers almost never calling out to me with "DON'T IGNORE THE SUBS!!! WE OWN THIS ROOM AND EVERYTHING IN IT!!! INCLUDING YOU!!!!!"

But in your room, which is very much on the small size, and given the fact you have four 15" Subs with 1,500W of clean power to drive them is insane. Assuming only 12dB of room gain (from putting them on the floor against one wall), that means each sub is capable of generating over 112dB SPL at 30Hz, and you've got two, so assuming a split mono signal, that's another 6dB of potential output for a max output of 118dB SPL at 30Hz. Now, I know the size of your room, and the ceiling and side walls are all close enough to reinforce the subsonic bass, so each of those is an additional 6dB of output, making it more realistically a 136dB max output at 30Hz. Think about that!

According to their data, the maximum output of your subs at 20Hz is 7dB lower than 30Hz, making the absolute maximum output at 20Hz to be 129dB SPL. At 10Hz the absolute maximum output is 113dB SPL. Being the max output, it will be filled with distortions, but cut in half twice, and you still have a clean safe output of over 124dB SPL at 30Hz, 112dB SPL at 20Hz, and 91dB SPL at 10Hz....

But wait!!! The front wall will be adding another 6dB of room gain below about 19Hz, so the relatively safe 10Hz SPL is about 97dB.

Small rooms, which I consider yours to be, can benefit from a very large, overpowered, sealed set of subwoofers. If, however, you were looking at a very good single 15" subwoofer for your HT, I would recommend a vented model. With two 15" drivers I could go either way, the vented models might need some EQ to soften the output, but a sealed version might need a boost and could run out of oomph below 25Hz for some content and desired levels. But four 15" woofers and over 3,000W of peak power??? Damn, bro!

Every instance where a sub is being installed is different. If you really do intend to buy loads and loads of woofers for your room, then sealed can often be better than vented. But if you just want one good subwoofer, then vented is likely better, but there are exceptions to both rules, and the size of the room plays a hugely critical role in those exceptions.

Ultimately, your are all pussies for not having Infinite Baffle subwoofers like Snowman and Me.

So, would the next logical upgrade be Infinite Baffle Subs, or FF MTM Ellipticals to replace the C1's???????

So, would the next logical upgrade be Infinite Baffle Subs, or FF MTM Ellipticals to replace the C1's???????

HA! you know my answer.... midrange is significantly more important than any aspect of bass below 40Hz. I mean, should you upgrade the subs and improve the harder to analyze and comprehend bottom 2 octaves of usable audible spectrum, or the main top 6 octaves which determine how you comprehend everything?

In your shoes, I'd prioritize upgrading from the Dynaudio C1s.

I hate you all for even writing that sentence.
I don't know why. We all knew the day would come. I mean, come on, it's Heeman we're talking about. At some point he'd upgrade from Focal Utopias.

Back