• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New TV

So.....Been playing musical tv's since late November, although that sounds worse than what it is. Bought the 65 inch QLED on an impulse buy with the wife's discounted shopping trip, would have rather had the 75 inch, but they didn't have it. Fast forward to the next week, a 75 inch non qled tv came into Walmart, and I decided I wanted a bigger tv, even if it wasn't QLED. We had planned on taking the 65 inch back, but the wife loved it, so we figured we would put it in the bedroom. Never happened due to the fact that the 75 inch either had it all along, or developed the more I used it, gray spots that showed up in light scenes. They weren't big, but being that I could still return it, I did.

My wife, who has become quite the enabler in all of this, ordered the 75 inch QLED for me. This was around the 20th of December, and it showed a delivery date to the store of January 14th. Never showed up, and the order actually got deleted from the system, which I guess is common with Walmart and my wife was expecting it. Reordered but still no confirmation of a delivery date. Well last night, yes there was alcohol involved, I decided to look on Amazon to see what they had. Whoa! an 82 inch QLED for only $500 more than what a 75 inch was at Amazon? Who cares if it's a 2018 refurbished model! So yes, a drunken purchase of an 82 inch tv, which I canceled this morning. I don't know what I was thinking, I don't even think it would fit without a bunch of work. So long story short, I will have a 75 inch QLED tv as the picture is stunning, but I'm going to do my due diligence and make sure I get what I really want, although an 82 inch tv would be something.

Rule #1 - When the booze comes out the credit cards get locked up :biggrin:
I'm usually pretty good about stuff like that, but when I saw the 82 inch with only one left, it was an impulse buy for sure. Thankfully I was able to cancel this morning, but I did order a 75 inch which will be here Saturday. It's the next model up as far as quality that Walmart sells, so I'm happy with the purchase.

I don't blame you for going with the 75 inch over the 82... at some point you just have to say "You know, that's plenty."

I'm still very happy with my 65" Q8f QLED... it looks fantastic, especially once it got broken in.

I don't blame you for going with the 75 inch over the 82... at some point you just have to say "You know, that's plenty."

I'm still very happy with my 65" Q8f QLED... it looks fantastic, especially once it got broken in.

Yeah, I have never desired a huge TV and when I visit people with massive screens and watch television I find it uncomfortable and often miss what is going on at opposite sides of the screen because my focused center of vision cannot extend across more than half the width of their gigantic screens.

I really just want a TV large enough to see details while not larger than the center focus of my vision range. So, at 8 feet away, about 70" is as big as I will want.

You all just need to ask the women if they'd like another 7 inches. :p But on the other hand, being too small, which is what I was feeling going from a 70 inch to a 65 inch. But 82 inches would have been too much. Not even sure it would have fit on the stand, just depends on where the legs are on the tv. TV is supposed to be here Saturday morning, and I'm kind of excited about it.

In my theater, I sit about 12 feet away from the TV. I went from a 57" set in there- it was decent, but I wanted something bigger.

I ended up wall mounting the thing (used the AmazonBasics brand articulating mount- it worked really well) instead of trying to fit it on a TV stand. IMO, I wish TV makers would try to standardize the legs for TVs a bit. Samsung likes to stick them way out on the sides while some others put the stand right in the middle (so you could put it on a smaller stand if you so chose). When you get to the big ones it really can be an issue to find a proper stand. That goes triple if you need a place to keep a center channel speaker... so many stands have a pillar right in the middle (negating any CC placement). That's why I ended up wall mounting- I didn't need the space in the room, but the mount was a fraction of the price of a decent stand and let me put the center wherever I so chose.

I don't trust my mechanical skills @Akula to try and wall mounting the tv. Too afraid I'd wake up one morning and it would be on the ground. I bought a new stand when I got the Vizio, and have already had a 75 inch on there, so I know it will fit. It is a stand that also came with a mounting bracket, but I just let the tv sit on the stand. I understand about the center speaker though, and ended up buying a center speaker stand from Amazon awhile ago that works like a charm.

Yeah, I have never desired a huge TV and when I visit people with massive screens and watch television I find it uncomfortable and often miss what is going on at opposite sides of the screen because my focused center of vision cannot extend across more than half the width of their gigantic screens.

I really just want a TV large enough to see details while not larger than the center focus of my vision range. So, at 8 feet away, about 70" is as big as I will want.

Damnit, yours is bigger than mine!!!

Your TV that is. I sit closer to 15' away from my 65" and it is fine for me. That may be one of the reasons I don't think mine causes any issues watching for long periods of time with it being mounted above the fireplace. The usual caution of don't do it, it will cause neck strain doesn't seem to apply.

Now downstairs I sit about 10' away and I think I would like 65" or 70" down there for movies only.

Congrats on the new display @Huey !

Must have been first in line for delivery, as it showed up just a few minutes before 9. Since I don't know how long it has been on the truck, I'm letting it warm up before plugging it in. I did assemble the stand, and tv feels very wobbly, which really surprises me. Both of the other two tv's that I got came with two foot pegs, but this one comes with just one big one and it mounts on the back, not the bottom.

So, let it warm up, and then hooked everything up. This tv comes with a One Connect box and cable, which feed the tv power and source material all in one little cable. I didn't figure on using it, but you have no choice. First thing on was Dish, mainly because it wanted to know what that source is. Looked ok, but nothing mind blowing. Next, fired up Sony, and hit play on The Last Starfighter that was in the player, looked a little dark, but I haven't even tried to adjust things yet. Next, played a little bit of Planet Earth 2 on Neftflix in 4K. Whoa! That looked amazing! I don't know what the exact differences are between the 6 series and the 7 series, but it looked better than 65 inch QLED that we have. So far, pretty happy, even though it took some time and struggles to get here.

The more I use this tv, the more I'm extremely happy with the purchase. I hear the concerns about a tv being too big, but I sit about 15 feet away from the tv, and the tv is completely in my field of view. I think either here or in another thread, I've complained about mosquito noise with certain 4K titles, but after watching The Hitman's Bodyguard again this weekend, I didn't notice the noise that I had seen with the same title on the Vizio. But then again, this tv cost a quite a bit more than the vizio, so I would expect a better picture, but I thought it would have the title not the tv.

4K material looks absolutely insane on this tv, especially shows like Blue Planet 2 and Planet Earth 2, as well as some nature videos on Youtube. I've only did some minor tweaks to the picture. I know there shouldn't be hardly any break in, if any at all, but figured I'd let it get a few hours on it and then tweak the picture with the WOW disk. Wonder if anybody has release a 4K tuneup disk yet. For that matter, I wonder if the 4K version of Incredibles 2, which I have, has the tune section like the bluray's used to have.

Was trying to sort through the posts...Huey...what 75" TV do you have?
Is it QLED or not?
I know, it's confusing. We started off with a 65 inch QLED, that we still have and the wife wants in the bedroom. We got a really good deal on it, so I agreed. Then got a 75 inch non-QLED, which had a defective screen, so it got taken back. Had been trying to get a 75 inch QLED from Walmart, but they couldn't seem to get one in, so I ordered a 75 inch QLED from Amazon, and it was actually the next model up from which Walmart carries for only a couple of hundred more dollars.

I was talking with some friends about my new purchase, and one of them asked if it had decor mode, which the only thing I could think of was it has an ambient mode, but he was saying it somehow took a picture of the wall and then displayed it on the screen to make the tv almost invisible. Wouldn't work for me as mine is surrounded by an entertainment system. He sent me a short video, and it is a pretty cool feature, although not something I would use.

I was talking with some friends about my new purchase, and one of them asked if it had decor mode, which the only thing I could think of was it has an ambient mode, but he was saying it somehow took a picture of the wall and then displayed it on the screen to make the tv almost invisible. Wouldn't work for me as mine is surrounded by an entertainment system. He sent me a short video, and it is a pretty cool feature, although not something I would use.

If only they could get rid of the bezel

My TV apparently already does this. The paint in Charlie Harper's bedroom is the same as the paint in my living room, although I am having a really tough time focusing on that while Chelsea is lying in Charlies bed in a skimpy nightie.

Man, I really need to go back to work. LOL

Had a weird thing happen yesterday. Hadn't really been playing Xbox lately, so I broke out Fallout 4 as I had found a new area the last time I played, and figured it would be fun. Got hungry, so made some lunch and decided to watch the first episode of season two of STD. Upon turning on the UHD player, the colors on the menu really seemed over saturated, almost glowing. Thought maybe it was just me, but even watching the episode, everything seemed oversaturated. Watched the whole episode before I thought about turning it off and on again, and sure enough, that took care of it. Not sure why playing an xbox game would somehow screw up the color space settings, or at least I think that is what is happening, but at least it was an easy fix.

Back