• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Lone Star Audio Fest 2019

team_tsp

(I wasn't sure where to start this thread, hopefully this area is ok? I didn't want to put it in the GTG area since that isn't open to the public.)

Anyone planning to swing by Lone Star Audio Fest in Dallas this weekend?

@Wardsweb you planning to come again this year?

I won't be there this year. I am heading to Tyler today for my daughter's graduation from UT Tyler. Have fun and take pictures for us.

I wasn't aware of it. I would have loved to attend, and see Dallas as well. Since moving to Texas my wife and have not been to Dallas yet.

I also meant to say congratulations @Wardsweb on your daughter's graduation!

Here are the pics I took while at LSAF last week, I tried to get a pic of each room but I may have missed a couple. Ring radiator and ribbon tweeters seemed to be the craze this year lol...

1.jpg

2.jpg
The above room was pretty good. I forgot what speakers those are, they were alright, I liked certain things about them but overall it wasn't my flavor. However, the 2 JL Audio subs were dialed in very nicely.

3.jpg

A few more pics:

4.jpg

5.jpg
The above room was perhaps my favorite, and belonged to Selah Audio. I'm not a fan of ribbon tweeters, but this was the first time where I felt a ribbon tweeter was pretty well integrated with the mid/woofer driver. All speakers are custom built, and I spent some time talking with the designers, they seemed pretty knowledgeable. The ribbon tweeter in these bookshelf speakers are crossed over at 1.9kHz, which was pretty interesting to learn, showing the designer did try to keep the midrange intact. Also, the line array speakers (hidden behind the bookshelf speakers) are fully active, with crossover duties handled with MiniDSP modules.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Last batch:

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg
First time to meet Danny from GR Research, it was pretty cool to talk to him, learned more about the consultation work he did with Usher Speakers.

Thanks for the pictures. Nice setups this years. Did you make it to any of the after hours get togethers?

I would have loved to have had a chance to hear some of those systems. Since Flints new flagship speakers are miles and miles above anything else I've ever heard it would have nice to have more to compare them to. Trying to ignore the the problems with the untreated rooms would make it a challenging though.
Thanks for the pictures.

Thanks for the pictures. Nice setups this years. Did you make it to any of the after hours get togethers?
Nah, I usually just swing by for a couple hours to see what's going on, so don't really have time to hang out beyond that.

Cool. Thanks for the pics!
I would have loved to have had a chance to hear some of those systems. Since Flints new flagship speakers are miles and miles above anything else I've ever heard it would have nice to have more to compare them to. Trying to ignore the the problems with the untreated rooms would make it a challenging though.
Thanks for the pictures.
Glad you all like the pictures! Yea, at events like this, the listening experience is all over the place :p Many rooms are untreated, and of the rooms where the dealer does take time to put up acoustic treatments, the science behind their efforts vary I'm sure.

Also, I'm usually not familiar with the speakers / equipment nor the music being played, so I don't put too much stock into what I hear (positive or negative). I mainly go just to see what's going on, and show my support (by being another head count) for the event and hobby / industry.

But as I noted in my original posts, I was impressed with the bass in Supra HiFi's (dealer) room, with the 2 JL subs. The bass was tuneful, not too loud or boomy at all (granted I wasn't familiar with the music).

And another note about Selah Audio's room was they were running their bookshelf speakers off a Benchmark DAC3 and AHB2 amp. That's the first time I've seen/heard Benchmark products in person, and while I wasn't familiar with the music, their system did sound exceptionally clean.

Back