• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

5.1 Set-Up Onkyo TX-NR708

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
Learning more and more each day about the set up of this receiver and the other components in the system.

The built in calibrator did not do any frequency sweeps (that I could tell, just short blasts) and cic set up did set up distance and dB setting for the speakers, which I tweeked a little after the test.

I will have access to a new laptop in the next week or two (yes, this guys does not own a laptop) and will ask where to obtain the True RTA Software and suggestions on calibrating the complete system.

It is quite amazing how it sounds right now.

Put in a Steve Vai Concert for a while and then some HD Channels broadcast in Dolby 5.1.

One note is that by DirecTV box had the Dolby 5.1 output set to OFF. Figured that one out real quick after the Onkyo was telling me that these channels were being sent in PCM 2.0.

I needed to set my DVD Player Audio Setting to Bitstream from PCM.

This is much different from the old Stereo Systems.

Thanks again for all of your help here on this Forum......... :bow-blue:

Heeman those short bursts were the frequency sweeps the microphone analyzes the bursts far faster than our ears can hear. In those bursts Audyssey measured the distance, adjusted the crossover set the size and EQ'd each speaker

MatthewB said:
Heeman those short bursts were the frequency sweeps the microphone analyzes the bursts far faster than our ears can hear. In those bursts Audyssey measured the distance, adjusted the crossover set the size and EQ'd each speaker

It did set the distances and the gain, however all freqency adjustments were left flat. That is what confused me that there were not boosts or cuts on any of the frequencies.

I tweeked the distances to what I measured and also readjusted the cross-over frequencies from 40Hz to 80Hz.

heeman said:
I tweeked the distances to what I measured and also readjusted the cross-over frequencies from 40Hz to 80Hz.
Out of curiosity, why was the XO point so low (40Hz) to begin with?

MatthewB said:
Heeman those short bursts were the frequency sweeps the microphone analyzes the bursts far faster than our ears can hear.
Do any of the analyzers use a burst of white or pink noise (with known energy level at each frequency) for their calibration?

Back