• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

60" LG Plasma?

jamhead said:
A huge glare from the sun on the TV while the "sunsetter" commercial is playing?
That's all I could come up with but I still think Botch sees something else. And as much as I'd like to know what that is, I REALLY want to know why Dirt can't watch BD titles in all their HD glory.

Zing said:
I REALLY want to know why Dirt can't watch BD titles in all their HD glory.

Not sure if this is what he meant but the SXRD sets only accept 1080i via HDMI (there was a class action lawsuit because they rightfully call it a 1080p display but it can't actually accept a 1080p signal) but there's no problem with HDCP. Because of copy protection the highest resolution through component is also 1080i.

I completely misread his comment. I thought he said he (still) can't watch them. I see now that he said he can. My bad.

:text-imsorry:

Carry on.

jamhead said:
A huge glare from the sun on the TV while the "sunsetter" commercial is playing?

DING DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Of all the forms of humor that exist, irony is my favorite! :shifty:

CMonster said:
Zing said:
I REALLY want to know why Dirt can't watch BD titles in all their HD glory.

Not sure if this is what he meant but the SXRD sets only accept 1080i via HDMI (there was a class action lawsuit because they rightfully call it a 1080p display but it can't actually accept a 1080p signal) but there's no problem with HDCP. Because of copy protection the highest resolution through component is also 1080i.

Not what I meant. Sometime last year or so the PS3 (my only Blu-Ray player) got a firmware update. After which I would get the HDCP message if I connected it to my SXRD via HDMI and tried to watch a Blu-Ray. The only way around it was to connect it via component and it would then downgrade the resolution. Then after I got the new Genie for D* all the HD movie channels started giving me the HDCP message. Good times.

Orbison said:
The DirtMerchant said:
But I am, video wise, underwhelmed overall. My SXRD was getting old and starting to be sort of dim
and I was hoping that a new bright plasma, even though it is only $700, would just WOW me. Alas, the picture looks a bit
soft? to me.

Have you calibrated it with DVE or a similar disc?

I am not sure if I packed away my S&V calibration disc, but if I did not I fully expect to use it soon.
I'm not sure the display from my D* is in HD (Info Banner/menus etc). Maybe that is what keeps catching my
eye as underwhelming? The picture looks good...but it doesn't WOW me. Though maybe my SXRD was damn good
and this is just along the same lines?

The DirtMerchant said:
Orbison said:
The DirtMerchant said:
But I am, video wise, underwhelmed overall. My SXRD was getting old and starting to be sort of dim
and I was hoping that a new bright plasma, even though it is only $700, would just WOW me. Alas, the picture looks a bit
soft? to me.

Have you calibrated it with DVE or a similar disc?

I am not sure if I packed away my S&V calibration disc, but if I did not I fully expect to use it soon.
I'm not sure the display from my D* is in HD (Info Banner/menus etc). Maybe that is what keeps catching my
eye as underwhelming? The picture looks good...but it doesn't WOW me. Though maybe my SXRD was damn good
and this is just along the same lines?

You need to go into the setup menu on the SAT box and make sure you have it set for the highest resolution (1080p), that's assuming you have not done that yet.

ccskier said:
You need to go into the setup menu on the SAT box and make sure you have it set for the highest resolution (1080p), that's assuming you have not done that yet.

I have. The picture is 1080p, but the menu/banner just does not look sharp to me.

The DirtMerchant said:
I have. The picture is 1080p, but the menu/banner just does not look sharp to me.

Have you tried changing the aspect - Full vs H-fill vs Just etc. to see which one works best?

Orbison said:
The DirtMerchant said:

Have you tried changing the aspect - Full vs H-fill vs Just etc. to see which one works best?

Hmmmm I'll try that. Can anyone confirm that the D* Genie menus and banners are HD?

Back