• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

8K TV already?

@Akula I've got the Sony X800, and if you stream netflix at all, and to a lesser degree Amazon Prime Video, I would get a player. I've bought more 4K disks than what I though I would buy, but we are constantly streaming something from Netflix, and it's usually in 4K. Maybe you can already do that with an app on the tv, but at least with my tv, a Vizio, streamed 4K from the player looks better than any other way to stream it. I feel it also is the best way to upconvert 1080 stuff as well.

@Akula I've got the Sony X800, and if you stream netflix at all, and to a lesser degree Amazon Prime Video, I would get a player. I've bought more 4K disks than what I though I would buy, but we are constantly streaming something from Netflix, and it's usually in 4K. Maybe you can already do that with an app on the tv, but at least with my tv, a Vizio, streamed 4K from the player looks better than any other way to stream it. I feel it also is the best way to upconvert 1080 stuff as well.

I run all my video sources through a 4K capable receiver, so I tend to let that do any necessary reworking. Also, I've found that scaler quality, although it was a huge issue back in the early HDTV days, really isn't anymore. There's more than enough processing power available at low cost to get the job done acceptably.

Are you liking that X800? I am getting a little antsy to rework my HT a bit, and as much as I love the OLED picture, I'm also realizing that even an absolute top notch LCD display like even the Sony X900 is half the cost. It does look like the OLEDs work great for gaming, however, so I can't quite claim that there's no point to holding off for one of those.

Love the X800, it's getting the most use as a source right now. There have been a few glitches resulting in having to unplug and do a hard reboot, but it's been very infrequent that it has happened. Comparing a 4K, or even a 1080 stream from Netflix using the TV app vs X800, I think the X800 has the edge in picture quality. But then again, I've got a pretty entry level tv, so your mileage may vary.

While I bought my dad a Sony 4K TV about 3 1/2 years ago, I have still been using a 2010 Panasonic, demo model from Best Buy. Will probably upgrade this week or the next to 4k HD with Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos etc,,,

If you buy an 8K now you will be missing out on 3D without glasses or something like that by the time 8K gets enough content out there. All I know is Active 3D with glasses, Sucked! Glasses were too expensive, made the picture too dark, the first generation and second generation glasses were two heavy and were not rechargeable. Sometimes being first is not all it is cracked up to be.

The passive glasses you wear at the theatre now, which can fit over glasses are much better than they used to be, comfort wise anyway.

I paid the early adopter tax on my 4K set in the form of a being limited to 10-bit color, having no Dolby Vision support and paying a much higher price but three years later, it still makes me smile. I have no plans to upgrade anytime soon and will likely keep this set for another 6 to 8 years.

I have never been a fan of being an early adopter. I have always been more of the wait around and see how things play out and let prices come down a bit kinda guy.

I have never been a fan of being an early adopter. I have always been more of the wait around and see how things play out and let prices come down a bit kinda guy.

Me too. Sadly, I was dealing with a dead TV and the poor choice between spending a lot and buying something that was already obsolete. Had I been able to wait even a year, the price of the set would have dropped by $2500.

Me too. Sadly, I was dealing with a dead TV and the poor choice between spending a lot and buying something that was already obsolete. Had I been able to wait even a year, the price of the set would have dropped by $2500.
Would you have still chosen the same TV a year later?

With my declining eyesight (macular degeneration) I doubt I will upgrade to anything unless a current set dies.

I have a 4k television but that's because at the time we looked at TVs for our new house, that is what was mainly available and the price was reasonable. For that type technology I let the dust settle. If my wife's TV goes down and 8k is out and reasonable priced, like 4k is now, then I'll buy it.

Back