• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

8K TV already?

$6K sounds like a lot for a display, but anybody remember the early 720p plasmas? $10K. Pretty quickly prices dropped down into the $2-3K range. Our 1080p Mitsu DLP cost something like $2700 when we bought it about 11 years ago. Now that's the price of a 65" OLED 4K.

I'm not sure how fast people have moved to 4K from 1080p, I imagine the trip to 8K will be no faster- people probably will buy them when it comes time to update the equipment and it's not that big a price jump. In other words, not too different from adoption of 4K.

You still have the fireplace @Randy ? lol I guess you never found anybody to buy it.

Nope, I just finally got it in my head to work around it and it turned out beautifully. I love it, and since I rarely to never use the fireplace, I don't have to worry about heat bothering my display.

$6K sounds like a lot for a display, but anybody remember the early 720p plasmas? $10K. Pretty quickly prices dropped down into the $2-3K range. Our 1080p Mitsu DLP cost something like $2700 when we bought it about 11 years ago. Now that's the price of a 65" OLED 4K.

I'm not sure how fast people have moved to 4K from 1080p, I imagine the trip to 8K will be no faster- people probably will buy them when it comes time to update the equipment and it's not that big a price jump. In other words, not too different from adoption of 4K.

That's true, I forget sometimes. My Mits Diamond series RPTV that still resides downstairs was $4500 new. I think I gave $1K for it 1 year old from the local Mits rep.

My memory sucks.

Holy Cow, I cant imagine dropping that kind of coin on a display.

My old set died at a super inconvenient time. My choices were to either buy a set that was already obsolete or spend a ton of money to get a set I could keep for a decade. I decided to do the latter, because I wanted a 75" set with 4K, HDR and Full-Array Local Dimming (no OLED at that size). 36 months of interest free financing took some of the sting out of it, but I also ended up dropping another grand on a new receiver and a couple smaller items. While I will be very glad to be done with the payments in another year, the picture is excellent, the size provides as much impact as I'm going to get without a projector and it still puts a smile on my face after two years.

Have you guys experienced the clouding problem inherent with leds? I have returned my sets from samsung, sharp and lgs a few times each because of it. The store i bought them from had to put the tvs to a darkened room for my viewing before getting them since.

Have you guys experienced the clouding problem inherent with leds? I have returned my sets from samsung, sharp and lgs a few times each because of it. The store i bought them from had to put the tvs to a darkened room for my viewing before getting them since.

I've had zero issues with it on my set. The only artifact it produces is a slight, localized, halo effect under certain circumstances, because even 128 zones of local dimming are not enough to eliminate it completely.

I think this will go the way 4K has. In 5 years you likely won't have a choice regarding your next tv. They may all be 8K by 2023.

I have had a few "normal" people over since I got the new display and 85% of them still do not know what 4k is. Once they see it they can readily notice the difference.

I think at times we have a tendency to transfer our knowledge of such things to the general population and they (general population of normal people) take a very long time to catch up.

As 4k becomes the only dispkays available people will catch on much faster.

Are there any midrange or higher 48" or bigger Tv's on the market which ate not already 4k?

Are there any midrange or higher 48" or bigger Tv's on the market which ate not already 4k?

On a quick scan of Amazon there were a few, not many. Of course if you were not in the market for a new TV you very well might not know that 95% of new TV's are 4k.

I think we might be conflating two questions.
  1. Will pretty much every TV set on the market be 8K in five years? Probably.
  2. Will much of the content be 8K in five years? Probably not.

I've had zero issues with it on my set. The only artifact it produces is a slight, localized, halo effect under certain circumstances, because even 128 zones of local dimming are not enough to eliminate it completely.
Good for you. It always bothers me though that is why i tried to get the least cloudy set i could find. Dark scenes become greyish with too much led light leak.

Good for you. It always bothers me though that is why i tried to get the least cloudy set i could find. Dark scenes become greyish with too much led light leak.

This set has ZERO clouding. It also has amazing off-axis viewing. Flagship-class panels are an entirely different animal.

I'm good. The only reason I got 4k was because the 75" sizes were only in that. I was fine with 1080P. But I won't lie, it looks good. But I won't be in the market for 8k until a tv poops the bed

Okay, folk! Samsung is announcing their 8K QLED Televisions any day now.

Who's gonna be first?

I mock you guys because everyone says they will never need whatever the next big resolution is (starting with HD) and then within a year of it being mainstream most have already purchased the new higher resolution. BluRay will be upgraded again to support it, and the compression for broadcast and streaming has been ready for primetime for about two years.

Okay, folk! Samsung is announcing their 8K QLED Televisions any day now.

Who's gonna be first?

I mock you guys because everyone says they will never need whatever the next big resolution is (starting with HD) and then within a year of it being mainstream most have already purchased the new higher resolution. BluRay will be upgraded again to support it, and the compression for broadcast and streaming has been ready for primetime for about two years.

Hard to say, but we'll see how prices drop. I know I laughed at 4K and then was the first one here to bite. Right now I've got my eye on a LG OLED for eventual replacement of my old trusty Mitsu 1080p DLP.

I still haven't upgraded either of my Blu-Rays to a 4K capable unit and right now I'm not sure that I'll even bother. I don't really buy physical discs much anymore. It's also going to take a bit for other components to catch up- HDMI 2.1 ought to have the bandwidth to pass that 8K signal, so it shouldn't take long for source components and receivers to catch up. I still haven't seen much of any 4K for broadcast- it's not OTA in my area that I know of, and DirecTV hasn't really made it a priority. I don't think my cable provider (Charter) has done one thing to support 4K, so the existence of standards for broadcast don't really make me think it's going to be a broadcast TV thing anytime soon.

Back