• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

A new project

There wasn't much left to do on these, so I just knocked them out today.

Here's the sub enclosure fully assembled:

Sub_Assembled_20190425_125621.jpg

Sub_Assembled-20190425_125635.jpg

The module on the rear is the Lapai amp & crossover. It puts out plenty of power for a little system like this. Ultimately, the driver will face downward to protect it and I think it would look better not to have the driver on the top.

Here's the completed system after I measured it setup to play demo music:

System_Outdoors_20190425_150722.jpg

My neighbor came over and we chatted for a bit. What we both noticed was that some bird, probably a mocking bird, was echoing the sinewave sweeps my test software uses. HA!

Then I took the system inside to see how it sounds when setup as it will be used by @Dentman:

System_Demo_20190425_152206.jpg

After he gets it home he will remove the speakers and electronics and finish the MDF himself. I'll leave it to him to choose the method and look.

We also still need to discus what sort of feet to place under the speakers. I am sure he'll post photos of the finished product when that time comes.

So, I did take some time to make measurements of the speakers and sub outdoors as it was a gorgeous and calm day. Despite someone using a drill, or something like it, about six houses down it was still quiet enough to get good measurements.

Here's the response of each part:
Anechoic_Performance_Apr25-2019.jpg

Take a close look at the subwoofer's performance. That is a ground plane measurement - which is effective anechoic. It is damn flat down to below 30Hz!!! All from a 5-1/4" subwoofer. Of course, it cannot generate massive output like a common HT subwoofer, but I calculate that without room gain the sub will generate about 88dB SPL at 25Hz!!!! With room gain Dentman might get over 100dB SPL out of this subwoofer below 30Hz. CRAZY!!!!

The satellite speaker is shown on axis and at 15 and 30 degrees off axis. I consider it important to show those off axis curves because these little speakers don't have small tweeters, so they "beam" above about 8kHz (as you can see). Perfectly on axis they are on the bright side, but at 15 degrees (a 30 degree listening window) off axis they are pretty sweet. At 30 degrees of axis (a 60 degree listening window) they start getting dull sounding.

Where the sub and satellite overlap in the 200 - 600Hz range, they are both down by about 6dB from overall average, so as they blend they fill in the sound to get a pretty smooth response through the midrange.

What a great rig!

For you speaker designer nerds out there, here's the close mic measurements of the sub driver and vent to show the loading of the system:

Sub_Vent+Driver_Respense_CloseMic.jpg

Just as I had designed it, the tuning frequency is exactly 28.5Hz. In my recent builds I have been extremely close to the designed spec, which wasn't the case 20 years ago where I was often off by 10% to 15%.

This is for @Dentman 's reference - In my listening space (on the sideboard in my dining area which is open to my front "living room" and entry way and hall way. these are the most ideal settings on the amp for this rig.

Amp_Ideal_in-room_settings_20190425_153512.jpg

Note that the speakers and sub are controlled independently, so you need something else to prpvide volume control prior to the input. You could use the preamp outputs on a receiver, an Amazon Echo, a Bluetooth receiver, or direct cable your phone.

I'm loving this project! I never expected the results your charts and your listening experience are showing.
Crazy!

Now that I am convinced there is no more tweaking or other work to be done on these, I cut a bunch of little squares of 3/4" MDF to use as temporary feet so I could get a feel for how the system would look and sound when @Dentman gets it home.

System_TempFeet_20190426_085932.jpg

After flipping the sub over and doing some more fine tuning of the controls on the amp, I made a series response measurements at various locations in front of the system to get an idea of the "in-room" performance. The mic was never closer than 1.5M away or farther than 3M away.

In-Room_AverageResponse.png

As you can see, when the overall SPL is about 80dB, the system is relatively flat from just over 20Hz to about 16kHz.

I think this is amazing.

Of course, this system cannot compare to a top end high fidelity system. But, for its size and relative price it is nothing short of stunning. Better than any TV sound bar I've heard and better for general room filling sound than any of the powered desktop speakers ive owned, recommended or auditioned. To fill and open space home with pleasing music for a party or while doing chores, this is one hell of a rig.

After flipping the sub over and doing some more fine tuning of the controls on the amp, I made a series response measurements at various locations in front of the system to get an idea of the "in-room" performance. The mic was never closer than 1.5M away or farther than 3M away.

View attachment 9139

As you can see, when the overall SPL is about 80dB, the system is relatively flat from just over 20Hz to about 16kHz.

I think this is amazing.

That's pretty frickin flat.

flint, i am seriously impressed. seriously.

do you have any plans or time to build another one?

respectively, how much did it cost to build a system like this? you or dentman can say no of course, no offense taken.

great job man. thats awesome. truly a one of a kind.

flint, i am seriously impressed. seriously.

do you have any plans or time to build another one?

respectively, how much did it cost to build a system like this? you or dentman can say no of course, no offense taken.

great job man. thats awesome. truly a one of a kind.

I can build another system. I would build to order, so once you pay a deposit I would be able to ship in about two weeks for a fully finished (painted) system

Cost for this same setup in a standard paint finish is $750 plus shipping (in Texas I have to add tax at 8.25%)..

Today @Dentman came to pick this system up and hang out talking and listening to my other speaker systems.

While we were auditioning the new small "shelf" system I build for him, I caught him sitting in the sweet-spot between the speakers truly analyzing the sound, like he was "critically listening" to a multi-thousand dollar setup. The image of someone so impressed with a little shelf system made me very proud.

On his recommendation, I am calling this speaker system "The Overachiever".

So, behold, The Overachiever!!!!

I can build another system. I would build to order, so once you pay a deposit I would be able to ship in about two weeks for a fully finished (painted) system

Cost for this same setup in a standard paint finish is $750 plus shipping (in Texas I have to add tax at 8.25%)..

super awesome dude. wife wont approve the budget right now, but something id want to put in the bucket list.

I went to Flints Monday to pick up my new system. I spent the night and as usual we had a nice day/night of banter. We spent some time going much further into detail about what goes into designing a speaker system then I've ever seen discussed anywhere else. As complex as you think it may be, multiply that by 5 and you begin to approach what went into designing his flagship speakers.

Back to the subject at hand. I'm extremely happy with this project, it far exceeded my expectations. Actually the thing is laughable because it sounds so good.

After getting it home I placed it in the location it was designed for, that's when some issues showed up. The short of it is this system, which I dubbed the "Overachiever" is too good. Flint made me a "sound bar" that sounded like a stereo receiver, 2 pretty nice bookshelf speakers, and a sub.

Now because of the sound of the overachiever there was no way I could place it on a shelf sandwiched between shelves and placed kinda low. Also because this crazy thing reaches down so low, cleanly, it caused my tv stand to rattle buzz like crazy when in the desired location. Fixable for sure, some glue and well placed Brad's would fix it. However the sound would still suffer, which keep in mind I didn't care that much about going into this.

So I moved the whole thing to the top, placing my TV on top of the sub. Wow, so much better up there. Meanwhile my wife came home. Knowing she would be very pleased with the sound, on Sudays we do Sinatra with coffee, but thinking she would hate the location. Turns out once again my decision to marry her was proven to be a smart one. She actually likes how it looks and said keep there. So in spite of Flint screwing me by making my new system sound way too good we all ended up very happy campers.

Thanks again Franklin.

For scale the TV is a 42" model.
rps20190501_073315.jpg
rps20190501_073224.jpg

Aesthetically I can see why you wanted it in the cabinet. It looks really good there and is a great fit (designed that way I know).

But it looks pretty good on top too and I think once you get it finished it will look great up there.

Have you decided on the finish?

Back