• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Active speakers Dynaudio vs Mackie?

2chnfornow

Opinions sought from any one with experience and or opinions on Dynaudio vs Mackie for active speakers.

Thanks.

Depends on size. The larger Dyns are far superior to the Mackies. Dollar for dollar, the Mackies are better at the price they sell for. You have to spend more to get similar or better sound from the Dynaudio active speakers.

However, if you can spend more, the higher end Dyns are superior.

Flint said:
Depends on size. The larger Dyns are far superior to the Mackies. Dollar for dollar, the Mackies are better at the price they sell for. You have to spend more to get similar or better sound from the Dynaudio active speakers.

However, if you can spend more, the higher end Dyns are superior.

How much more than the Mackie's would be required? The 624's are in the $1000 range. the 824's are in the $1400 range.

I'd start with the Dyanaudio BM5 and go up to the BM12, if you can afford it.

Another factor to consider is bass response. I live in a small studio apt. and cannot have loud deep bass. I am primarily concerned with the midrange and treble comparison between the Dyn's and Mackies. I have a SVS sub that I can't use because the neighbors don't like it.

I have not listened to any of their active offerings, however, I did audition a passive model (GTC 88) and for the money they're very impressive.

Rope

Talk to Bats he might be able to get you a deal on Dynaudio as he is a vendor for them.

I can put in a call but I'm not sure if we have access to the pro "Dynaudio Acoustics" line or not.

I am not a fan of the Adams, but I've been really clear about my issues with ribbon tweeters in the past.

I own two pairs of speakers with ribbon tweeters from different manufacturers and agree with Flint, there's something a little off with the way they sound.

Not to say anything bad about the Mackies, but I went back to Klipsch after having the 824s for a couple of years. I loved their amount of detail, but I really missed how dynamic my old Klipsch towers were. If the active Dyns are like anything I heard in Atlanta a few years ago, I would probably pick them between the two you listed.

Do the speakers have to be active? You have a lot more offerings if you can go to passive speakers.

Yesfan70 said:
Not to say anything bad about the Mackies, but I went back to Klipsch after having the 824s for a couple of years. I loved their amount of detail, but I really missed how dynamic my old Klipsch towers were. If the active Dyns are like anything I heard in Atlanta a few years ago, I would probably pick them between the two you listed.

Do the speakers have to be active? You have a lot more offerings if you can go to passive speakers.

I am not sure I can take advantage of the dynamics Klipsch can offer. I live in a small studio apt and I cant play speakers even mildly loud.

Okay... if you live in a small studio apartment and don't intend to play the speakers loud, I would get the smaller BM5 speakers. I was giving advice based on the weaknesses of the Mackies, which is peak output and room filling ability. All of the Dynaudio speakers offer slightly better "resolution" or detail than the Mackies, even at lower volumes. So, if you are not trying to significantly blow the Mackies away, then the smaller Dyn's are good.

Flint said:
Okay... if you live in a small studio apartment and don't intend to play the speakers loud, I would get the smaller BM5 speakers. I was giving advice based on the weaknesses of the Mackies, which is peak output and room filling ability. All of the Dynaudio speakers offer slightly better "resolution" or detail than the Mackies, even at lower volumes. So, if you are not trying to significantly blow the Mackies away, then the smaller Dyn's are good.

There are several versions of the BM5 available. Any opinions on which particular version? This is the retailer I am considering as they are located near me.

http://www.proaudiostar.com/recording/m ... rder=price

If you're located geographically where you're able to find active speaker dealers of choice, you owe it to yourself to audition and determine which is your sound of choice. No one here, hears the way you hear, or knows what what sound trips your trigger. Besides, the hunt is half the fun.

Rope

Back