• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

AirPort Express question

Towen7

Staff member
Can I use an Airport Express base station to wirelessly stream music from my iPad to a receiver attached to the Airport express?

My outdoor speakers are connected to stand alone amp inside the garage. Right now I just connect my iPod to the amp with an adapter cable. This works well enough but I'd like to loose the wire. Im thinking I can connect an AirPort Express to my living room receiver and attach my outdoor speakers to Zone 2.

I can't be sure, but just looking at the pictures, if it could how would you connect it?

If that's all you're trying to accomplish (wireless streaming), for $180, I'd opt for the appleTV and use Airplay for $99...Of course, I'm still not sure either device can control the volume.

To use the Apple TV I'd need to be in the livingroom to control it, or have a TV outside.

I thought that you could connect the Airport express's minijack to a stereo input on a receiver. Then stream music from the iPad to the Airport. I couldn't control volume but I could (I think) select tracks.

airport-express-bottom.jpg

connect-listen-print-wirelessly.jpg

D'OH :doh: I was looking at a picture of the Aiport Extreme...My bad.

I was hoping someone here had experience with this. I checked the manual and there is no mention of the ability to stream from anything other than a Mac or PC, but the manual is dated 2007.

Maybe I'll make it to an Apple store and ask one of them.

In the Q & A section under the Express at Apples site users recently have said it could be done with iOS 4.2 using AirPlay...:text-link:

I found this on the Apple site as well...

"AirPlay lets you stream music wirelessly right from your iPad. Just connect any speaker you own to an AirPort Express."

I also stumbled on an iPad app that lets me remotely control iTunes from the iPad. If I could get the audio output from my upstairs computer to my downstairs receiver I'll be set. I've heard of devices that will send audio wirelessly between two points. Any ideas?

Yes... it's called a squeezebox.

:eek:

The squeezebox gear is too expensive. The wallet is still recovering from Christmas so I'm not interested in paying $300 and ending up with another remote control... when I can get an airport express (or other wireless transmitter) for $100 and use the iPad to control it.

Towen7 said:
The squeezebox gear is too expensive. The wallet is still recovering from Christmas so I'm not interested in paying $300 and ending up with another remote control... when I can get an airport express (or other wireless transmitter) for $100 and use the iPad to control it.
This is one of the reasons I switched over to AppleTV...

Batman said:
Towen7 said:
This is one of the reasons I switched over to AppleTV...

I'm too heavily invested in Microsoft's Media extenders and I freaking HATE iTunes so... I don't think AppleTV is for me. But I do see it's value.

You've used Airplay to push video from your iPad/iPhone to your AppleTV right... how's the video quality?

I have only used it to see if it worked and it was a couple of digital copies. Since they are SD to begin with and I "pushed" it to the theater projector/screen I'd say "grainy" is a accurate word to use... :|

Does it actually get pushed from the iPad or is it really coming from iTunes on your computer? Will it work if the computer is off?

It will work with the computer off, in fact it will even push Youtube...

If it had the ability to record OTA video, I could see an argument for adding a Macmini to my living room system and using the Remote app to control it. If there were a way to use the iPad as keyboard/mouse with it (to access the browser and Netflix) than it would be a KILLER setup for digital media.

Ok, I see. Well, you could get a used Squeezebox classic (just ignore the remote) or a new duet receiver only - both around $150. Didn't someone say there's an iPhone (iPad?) app to control the squeezebox server? It can also be done with a regular web browser on any machine in your home network; in my office this is how I do it, since I'm on the computer all the time anyway. You don't HAVE to use the squeezebox remote at all.

I believe it'll play WMA, but from what others have said, you'd lose the ability to ff/rew within the track, as it's not the SB's native format.

Back