• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

All singing, dancing, playing, and streaming disc player

D

Deleted member 133

I'm getting a little tired of the fact that my Sony Blu-ray players (two of them; one in each of my HTs) don't stream .mkv files and freeze up quite often when playing them off stick (mostly, as far as I can tell, with DTS MA tracks.) This has gotten me to think about possible new devices. I've been doing some searching and to date I've not found anything that meets ALL of my criteria (listed below). I'm looking for suggestions for specific makes/models. NB. I am not interested in some Rube Goldberg set up using a bunch of services, devices / servers etc. Just what is in my criteria.

Criteria:

1. It must be a disc playing device - first and foremost. CD / DVD / BD / SACD - and all the variants thereof (like DVD-R, DVD+R, BD-R, etc. of those four.) DVD-A is desired but not an absolute.

2. Must have both ethernet and high-speed wi-fi and be able to do DLNA streaming.

3. HDMI and RCA stereo analog output - the latter because that's the only way to send a signal to the additional zones on my pre/pro and receiver. Don't need any other analog outputs; everything going via HDMI and I'm letting the receiver /pre/pro do the work.

4. Must have Netflix. No other such service is required, but if it comes with them that's ok.

5. Must have front and rear USB inputs and be able to play every available format of photo, music and video file from a stick.

6. Must be able to stream every available photo, music and video file from my DLNA server, but I might be satisfied if it can do, as a minimum, jpeg and tiff, mp3, mp4 and mkv - and all the stereo/surround formats that might be found in the latter two containers.

7. Obviously 1080p output. I do not need nor want 3D or 4k upsampling.

8. Must cost ~$150 or less (so yes, this rules out anything from Oppo.)

So in a nutshell, I'm looking for an inexpensive disc player that handles any format, either on disc, stick, or from a server, and gets Netflix.

I've been looking at Sony and Samsung offerings but so far none of their models meet the criteria.

Jeff

As well as Sony and Samsung, I've also been looking at Pioneer - without success.

For example Pioneer Canada lists the BDP-62FD as its least expensive player: $400. Even if I were willing to spend that much, which I am not, I've just gone through its owner's manual and found out that for .mkv files it will only support streaming "up to 1280 x 720." So on that one point alone (and there are others, besides price) it fails.

This may raise the question: why am I being so picky and specific? Two reasons actually: I'm now pretty sure exactly what my needs are; and, as I stated in my intro it was the lack of the ability to stream .mkv files by my existing Sony players that got me even thinking of changing. (Ok, that, and the lack of RCA analog stereo output, which is causing me to have to have more than one player in each system in order to do everything I want, but I digress.) The point is that the Sonys, while lacking one or two features, have all the other things. I'm not looking to change just for the sake of change. I don't need to change to something that is equally lacking. So it's either meet the criteria, or stay with what I've got, and use multiple players.

Jeff

The Panasonic I had in the HT would do all of what you're looking for. I used it as a DLNA renderer and it worked fine. Still the best option is a Roku for the network services and keeping your current player as the player. I know, I know, it adds another device, etc. and you're probably running low on HDMI inputs; but, if you can make it work you'll thank me later.

John

I know you can't buy a new one for less than $150, but it sounds like you need a home theater pc more than anything.

I don't think he needs a PC. He already has a source for the data, either via USB or LAN. He just needs a rendering device.

I've been in a very similar situation in the not too distant past and have solved it with a Roku. Honestly, the ONLY downside is an extra HDMI input. The app will let you control it with your phone, so you don't even have to worry about another remote.

Speaking of phone control, the Rokus also support Mirracast which is VERY COOL!! I've been using that lately with my new phone and love it. I was able to show Jan's parents our pictures from our recent trips by using my phone and their non-networked (but Mirracast capable) TV. I had videos of us swimming with the turtles in the Bahamas on their screen in less than 30 seconds from the time I turned the TV on wondering if I could do this. This also supports sound, too; though surround sound probably isn't supported.

John

yromj said:
The app will let you control it with your phone, so you don't even have to worry about another remote.
My DORO flip Phone?!!
:)

yromj said:
The Panasonic I had in the HT would do all of what you're looking for. I used it as a DLNA renderer and it worked fine. Still the best option is a Roku for the network services and keeping your current player as the player. I know, I know, it adds another device, etc. and you're probably running low on HDMI inputs; but, if you can make it work you'll thank me later.

John

Thanks John.

I have looked extensively for information about the Roku's streaming capabilities, and in particular which shells/containers it supports and what codecs etc. within those shells. The owner's manual for my Sony players goes into great detail in that regards (and unfortunately lists a bunch of things it cannot stream) however I've found almost nada about the Roku's ability. There's a short list on the Roku site about its "Media Player" software's capabilities - but that's apparently just for a USB stick. Nothing about wireless streaming from a server. I'll keep looking. Maybe some reviews give the full scoop on the poop.

I'll also start looking into what current Panasonic players can do. My first Blu-ray player was a Panasonic and it worked great - but that was way back before streaming.

Jeff

Scratch the Panasonics. No stereo RCA outputs that I can find. Plus their descriptions of streaming support is very wishy washy: along the lines of "Some will work; others: not so much."

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:
yromj said:

John

Thanks John.

I have looked extensively for information about the Roku's streaming capabilities, and in particular which shells/containers it supports and what codecs etc. within those shells. The owner's manual for my Sony players goes into great detail in that regards (and unfortunately lists a bunch of things it cannot stream) however I've found almost nada about the Roku's ability. There's a short list on the Roku site about its "Media Player" software's capabilities - but that's apparently just for a USB stick. Nothing about wireless streaming from a server. I'll keep looking. Maybe some reviews give the full scoop on the poop.

I'll also start looking into what current Panasonic players can do. My first Blu-ray player was a Panasonic and it worked great - but that was way back before streaming.

Jeff

With Plex installed on the server, you can stream local stuff on a roku. I had to uninstall it as for some reason it was doing something with hard drive space and filling my hard drive up. Haywood usually has very good things to say about Plex.

yromj said:
The Roku is an app-liance (Ha! I just made that up but should copyright it). As such, check this link for a list of apps for media playback: https://channelstore.roku.com/browse/personal-media

Oh, and if you still have a flip phone, you and Pauly should have a little bon fire at the next GTG.

John

:laughing-rolling: too late - already tossed mine in the trash!

The Roku has a DLNA client, as well as clients for Plex Media Server, Subsonic, Twonky and PlayOn.

I use Plex for all of my local media streaming and really like it a lot. I did not used to like it much for music, but they did a huge music overhaul recently and I love what they did. It integrates music, music videos and concerts into a single seamless experience. It also lets you create Pandora-like channels as well as play lists and you can sync media to your mobile devices for offline use.

Thanks for the continued advice.

As I stated in my OP, I'm not going to do anything at the computer / server end. No Plex or any other software install.

My logic is simple: the files are all there on a DLNA-abled server. I simply want a disc-capable device that can access (render) them without freezing or vomiting. Surely that's not asking too much?

Again, the Sony does a somewhat reasonable job of it, however not good enough. I'm getting tired of having to load .mkv files onto sticks and plug them into the player (because it won't stream .mkv), and even more tired when certain .mkv files on stick causes the Sony to freeze. When I bought the Sonys they were supposed to have the most extensive file playing / streaming capabilities of any player. That's a few years ago. I'm now wondering if anyone (someone!) has finally got it right.

As well as the other noted criteria.

Jeff

heeman said:
yromj said:
Oh, and if you still have a flip phone, you and Pauly should have a little bon fire at the next GTG.

John

Hey what about my flip phone! :angry-tappingfoot: :angry-tappingfoot:

Keith, the truly cool kids still use flip phones. Our numbers are dwindling, that only makes us cooler.

And More Powerful! :character-beavisbutthead:

Haywood said:
I use Plex for all of my local media streaming and really like it a lot. I did not used to like it much for music, but they did a huge music overhaul recently and I love what they did. It integrates music, music videos and concerts into a single seamless experience. It also lets you create Pandora-like channels as well as play lists and you can sync media to your mobile devices for offline use.
Scott, are you an Apple user? The new Apple TV now fully embraces Plex, and it's in the App Store, and the couple articles I've seen claim it's the cat's meow.

Botch said:
Haywood said:
Scott, are you an Apple user? The new Apple TV now fully embraces Plex, and it's in the App Store, and the couple articles I've seen claim it's the cat's meow.

Apple TV makes no sense for me, since it does not support Amazon, Spotify, Vudu or several other services that we use a lot. I use Roku because it is the only platform that supports all of the services that we use. The only drawback with the Roku is that it does not support DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD, which would drive me to use a different media player for uncompressed Blu-Ray rips.

Haywood said:
The only drawback with the Roku is that it does not support DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD, which would drive me to use a different media player for uncompressed Blu-Ray rips.
See, now that's the kind of useful info that I could not find from searching Roku web pages and owner's manuals.

Thanks.

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:
Haywood said:
The only drawback with the Roku is that it does not support DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD, which would drive me to use a different media player for uncompressed Blu-Ray rips.
See, now that's the kind of useful info that I could not find from searching Roku web pages and owner's manuals.

Thanks.

Jeff

It will do DTS, DD and DD+ perfectly well. It can also handle MP3, AAC and PCM. When I stream FLAC lossless to my Roku, Plex transcodes it to PCM.

Roku will play H264 mkv and mp4 files without transcoding. The Roku 4 can also handle HEVC (H265). The Roku 3 is limited to roughly 15Mbps. The Roku 4 can handle 40Mbps.

Back