• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

All singing, dancing, playing, and streaming disc player

Ok. So I just read the CNET reviews for both the Roku 3 and 4.

What immediately caught my eye was what did not catch my eye: unless they've done a bang-up job of hiding them, none of the posted pics for either device showed any stereo RCA outputs. That's number 3 on my OP's criteria list and a must-have / deal-breaker.

Still looking. I'm running out of brands!

Jeff

ps. I really am looking for an all-in-one solution for both streaming and discs. In my family room HT, where all of my extra zones originate, I currently use an older Sony Blu-ray player that only has photo and music streaming capabilities, but which has RCA stereo outputs, to stream music from my server through the receiver to three other (switchable) locations: back yard, living/dining room, and garage. I use the newer Sony Blu-ray player for Netflix, video and music streaming from the server, and disc playing. I'd like one player to handle it all - and have improved video playing (from stick) and streaming capabilities.

This morning, mostly for shits and giggles, I decided to look into Oppo. I figured if I looked at their top of the line model, the BDP-105D, with its $1300 price tag, surely it would have everything I want.

The verdict after reading through its owner's manual: who the heck knows?

The information regarding media streaming from a home server (page 44) is, like most, woefully pathetically inadequate. Other that saying that it will stream picture, music and video files, it provides no, nada, information beyond that. "Trust us. Send your $1300. We can do it Happy!"

Contrast that with their excellent listing of all of the disc-types and audio formats that it will handle (everything, as far as I can tell) and well ... it's very disappointing.

Still searching...

Jeff

^ :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred:

labyrinth-17.jpg

^^ Agreed!

Next up was Yamaha. Just went through the manual for the BD-A1040 - which is the top-of-the-line model available here in Canada.

This looks like a great player: handles any type of disc, has RCA stereo outputs, etc. It has an good list of formats that it will handle, however for streaming it has a disclaimer that it might not handle everything. Regardless (and ignoring its $400 price tag) I was thinking of looking into it further when, once again, I noticed that something was missing: no mention of Netflix. Can't find any. Deal breaker.

The search for the Holy Grail continues...

I was going to say the Oppo BDP-103 as well. Here's a link to their wiki showing supported media (originally created for the BDP-93 but linked to from the BDP-103 page as well: :text-link:.

Jeff, Send me a PM if you have any interest in sending me a disc and/or USB stick with an assortment of media and I could test it out for you on my BDP-103.

CMonster said:
I was going to say the Oppo BDP-103 as well. Here's a link to their wiki showing supported media (originally created for the BDP-93 but linked to from the BDP-103 page as well: :text-link:.
Thanks Chuck. Very useful link.

Have started doing some digging re the BDP-93. Looks like it does all I want, although some earlier write-ups regarding Netflix said it was somewhat limited (like no 5.1 surround). I'll assume that that was taken care of in later firmware updates. (Any members using one?)

If I could find one used for a great price I might jump on it. Right now they all seem to be in the $350+ level.

Jeff

I find it odd when Jeff says he doesn't want a Rube Goldberg type design.

Jeff have you looked at your basement home theater. Even Rube himself would smile if he was alive to look at your system.

MatthewB said:
I find it odd when Jeff says he doesn't want a Rube Goldberg type design.

Jeff have you looked at your basement home theater. Even Rube himself would smile if he was alive to look at your system.
Little known fact: Rube visited my home, and snuck down to my HT to see the patch cords for himself. He started to trace but one, became entangled in several, and was found dead the next day - with a smile on his face.

Honestly!

Jeff

Back