• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Am I crazy to not care about TVs with HDR?

R. H
Looks good. What are the speakers?

Nothing impressive: Polk Audio TSi200 and CS20 with an SVS 20-39PC-Plus
81900938-C9A5-4A4B-A42F-A9A2CFBDB017_zpseduptz3l.jpg

Tom I couldn't resist and finally broke down and just bought the Samsung 8500 curved 65" 4K with HDR and quantum Dot Technology. Amazon has it for 1,598.00 and Michelle said she'd pay half so with a three year warranty it came to 1,778.00 with tax. Michelle gave me 900.00 so it cost me 900.00 gonna give my beloved Pioneer Elite RPTV 58" to my twin sister and brother in law who have lusted after my tv for years. I was debating between the Vizio 60" P-series and the Samsung for awhile but on Black Friday it was 500.00 cheaper for the the Samsung and bigger picture and I was blown away with the Quantum Dot technology and HDR in action. Gets delivered next Saturday.

That is a great price on a gorgeous display. If you are anything like me, you will be geeking out for months. I am STILL blown away by how native UHD HDR programming looks and I've only seen the streamed stuff. You are in for a fun ride.

Oh, and by the way, you suck!

Actually I have something I'm building (well half building) that I'll put my center speaker and mid bass sub under and the TV will sit on top. I'll start a thread on this next week when it arrives as I didn't intend to hijack Toms thread.

I have to say last night I finally got a chance to use HDR. Seems my Samsung has a setting to use HDR plus on non HDR content. With the Samsung it's kind of a semi hidden menu but when you find it you can apply it to 1080i or 720p and even 1080p sources. I applied it last night and what I thought was an awesome picture already really got so much better. Even Michelle was impressed and she doesn't care about any of this but even she was like Wow. The best way to describe it was it was like super charging the pixel colors and making the blacks more black and the whites brighter (actually it was too bright I had to turn down the brightness about 20 points it got that much brighter. I tested this last night with regular Directv on TNT watching of all things the dumbest movie ever "Transformers 4 with Marky Mark" but I sat there for an hour last night just mouth open at how the colors really popped after turning on HDR plus.

Back