• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Am I crazy to not care about TVs with HDR?

The LG OLED sets are down under $3k for the 65'". It's got me planning... lol!

You sell that 58" Panny though, we may have to talk!

You sell that 58" Panny though, we may have to talk!

The 58" is a Samsung. Six series IIRC. We're playing TV shuffle. The current plan is to move the 58" to the bedroom to replace the 40" 720p plasma. That one will either go to the home office or get donated to charity.

One of the reasons I bit the bullet and spent as much money on my TV as I did is that there is no way I can do the TV shuffle with a 75-inch set. I don't have anyplace else in the house where it will fit.

The 58" is a Samsung. Six series IIRC. We're playing TV shuffle. The current plan is to move the 58" to the bedroom to replace the 40" 720p plasma. That one will either go to the home office or get donated to charity.

I see.

I'm on the lookout for a bigger plasma. I have a 46" that works perfectly for online gaming. Online gaming on my LCD Samsung is virtually impossible.

i really wish i couldve experienced the plasma television market. i bet that would have more deeper contrast and colors than some of the current offerings.

my main problem i really hope not to encounter is DSE and/or vertical beams of light

I got the Vizio E70-E3 unboxed, mounted and connected. For reasons that I don't understand the set HAS to be setup via an app which must be downloaded on a mobile device. The included the remote can only control power, volume, and change inputs. Literally every setting and adjustment has to be done via the app. It's kind of a hassle.
But the out of the box PQ is pretty decent. I'll mess around with running a setup disk later. My primary source is U-verse which does not output 1080p much-less 4K. But ... with the noise reduction settings at default it looks surprisingly good.

Vizio makes great looking budget-friendly sets. They are very hard to beat anywhere near their price point. If their HDR sets had been out when I was looking, I might have been tempted to go that way myself and save a few thousand dollars.

I have no issues with Vizio's visual performance, but I own two of their sets (42" & 70") and have found them to be quirky after FW updates and other basic functions have worked oddly at times. For instance, on the 70" sometimes the screen will go blank when switching inputs, and to correct it we may have to power down or unplug it entirely.

The E series is the least expensive of the Vizio line. It lacks HDR and has only 12 dimming zones. One issue with this 70" set's PQ is that the picture gets a little "washed-out" when viewing from not far off axis. I'm sill very happy with the set because to me and many professionals reviewers it's the best bang for the buck in this screen size.

Going from 58" to 70" has allowed me to push my sofa back almost 2 feet and keep an acceptable field of view.

One issue with this 70" set's PQ is that the picture gets a little "washed-out" when viewing from not far off axis..

That is one thing I do have to say for my Sony. The viewing angle is amazing. The picture still looks good 8 feet back and 15 feet to the side.

That is one thing I do have to say for my Sony. The viewing angle is amazing. The picture still looks good 8 feet back and 15 feet to the side.

Yeah. This was a total value play. There are lots of sets from Vizio (the M was better in this regard and the P better still) and other makers that outperformed the E70 but they were several times more expensive. 99% of the time my wife and I will be the only ones watching and we'll sit well within the prime viewing axis. The other 1% (or less) when we host parties the guests tend to be all over the house but primarily huddled around the TV in the kitchen (recently upgraded from 19" to 32").

Any Pic's ?

Yeah, I know that my speakers are too close together because of that opening to the kitchen. The wife won't let me put the TV on any other wall.
Please excuse the crappy iPhone pic. The screen is not nearly that reflective.

892F6CC6-D98E-4DDE-9D3C-768CF1E0DA90_zps4rn2idjz.jpg

Back