• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

AndySTL's Basement Family Area/Theater

totally forgot about that. get some warmer bulbs, they even make er... LED versions too!

great suggestion botch!

If you're considering the expense of putting drywall on the ceiling......also consider either painting or replacing the existing grid and install 2x2 tiles in a more decorative style in a new color. You could also just clean the existing grid and add 2' cross beams for new white 2x2 tiles with a reveal. The change will be significant. I think most who have seen my rec area would agree that it can be a feature and not an eyesore. Plus you retain the benefit of running cable and doing work up there as needed and the 2x2 tiles are way less likely to sag. The ONLY reason I didn't have a drop ceiling in my HT is soundproofing. And if I HAVE to get something fished across the ceiling there's about an 1 1/4" gap between the floor joists and the OSB/drywall I installed.

Lots of good suggestions!

I have messed around with different fluorescent tubes and I have eventually found one with color I can live with for now.

As for replacing the ceiling, the main draw for me is the ceiling height. On the west side of our steel support beam we have alot of goofy duct work that has required our grid to be lower than I would like. I am not tall so it really isn't an issue for me, but it just feels a little tighter down there then I would prefer. With drywall, we can box around the ducts and then go much higher with the actual ceiling and at the same time add lighting that we really prefer. Of course, all of that comes at a big expense AND we lose the flexibility and convenience of having removable tiles to access the bones of the house. And again, this change is so far down the priority list that it would not be happening for at least 5 years.

I wouldn't set in stone that assumption, it'll probably feel tight no matter what you do...if you're using 2Xs for lumber you're losing 1 1/2" right off the bat for that plus the thickness of the Sheetrock 3/8 or 1/2" thick (this combo will be at least ~2" thick no matter what) Even if you could somehow get away with lumber that is 1/2" thick initially, it'll probably warp over time unless you have a really dry basement. And 3/8" thick Sheetrock giving you a ceiling surface that's still almost an inch thick and no future access. If you keep the drop-ceiling grid high and tight you can probably get away with total drop of 2.5".... This gives you a difference from framing/rocking the proper way to a drop ceiling of a 1/2". IMO hardly a difference to eliminate the convenience of being able to do anything you want down the road. :twocents-mytwocents:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    950 KB · Views: 124
Also, Your lighting products should be a wash either way....at least with standard recessed cans. Most of them have clips built into the brackets that are designed to attach right to drop ceiling grid. Where you can fit one with Sheetrock shouldn't be any different with a drop ceiling.

Batman said:
Also, Your lighting products should be a wash either way....at least with standard recessed cans. Most of them have clips built into the brackets that are designed to attach right to drop ceiling grid. Where you can fit one with Sheetrock shouldn't be any different with a drop ceiling.

I just meant the timing would be good to take on a big lighting change if we re-did the ceiling. But you are right, I could go ahead and change over to cans with my existing ceiling.

If I can learn how to do this myself, I kind of like the idea of converting over to 2x2 tiles and switching the lights. I am not too handy but I feel like I could probably learn how to do most of this myself. What you can see in these pics is about half (or maybe even a little less than half) of the ceiling space we have down there. I should do some cost estimators to see how much this would potentially cost.

Batman, what is a reveal on the tile? Is that the beveled edge? And do you just manually cut out the holes for the cans?

Andy you've come a long way from when I visited your bachelor pad in Atlanta. Well done, Congrats on the projector, there's nothing better!

Thanks guys! I've made some changes down there. I moved my Dynaudio S3.4 into the basement as they weren't getting used enough in my office. It still needs some updates down there but with my youngest still being only 2.5 years old it's still very much filled with kids stuff. We need some new furniture down there in a bad way....eventually.

Back