• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Another guy tempted to get an Onkyo NR708

Bob R

I'm an old school guy....

Phono input, 5.1 analog inputs for SACD/DVD-A

I would lke to be able to feel comfortable going Blue Ray and 1080P in the future. lots of HDMI stuff.

It seems like Analog inputs are going away so this seems like the best choice for the present.

thoughts?

my finger is on the "buy now" mouse button.................... :banana-rock:

p

The NRx09 series is on the horizon, they are listed as "coming soon" on Onkyo's site...Just putting it out there in case you want to review the new specs.

Bob, if it suits your needs and you have the disposable cash, then I say go for it.

I am holding out for the new Marantz AV7005 pre/pro. Saving my nickles and dimes am I.

Newegg now has this Onkyo for $549............$50 cheaper than I paid for it!!

Correction, the site only lists the 309 and 509 as coming soon and the changes only appear to be cosmetic...So I say go for too!! :happy-smileygiantred:

heeman said:
Newegg now has this Onkyo for $549............$50 cheaper than I paid for it!!

I just got off the phone with Newegg and they do not have a price match guarantee, however they will refund me $25.

Hey that is better than nothing!!!!

Never hurts to ask!!

Amazon droped their price to $550 also.

One concerning item is that according to the manual, the on screen menu is carried only through HDMI and not component video connections.

My Mits WS – 48413 has component and DVI inputs, no HDMI.

Does anyone know if an HDMI to DVI converter would send the on screen menu to the Mits RPTV?

I'm going to throw an HDMI to DYI adapter in the cart anyway. For $5 it's worth a try.

Bob R said:
Amazon droped their price to $550 also.

One concerning item is that according to the manual, the on screen menu is carried only through HDMI and not component video connections.

My Mits WS – 48413 has component and DVI inputs, no HDMI.

Does anyone know if an HDMI to DVI converter would send the on screen menu to the Mits RPTV?

I'm going to throw an HDMI to DYI adapter in the cart anyway. For $5 it's worth a try.

Tbe HDMI/DVI adapters are dependent on HDCP handshake. In my experience, some gear works fine, others do not. I do know Motorola STB DVI will not handshake with Onkyo 885 HDMI.
It's a crap shoot.

Rope

Would you still be able to adjust the settings using the receiver's own front-panel display?

I've got an older, step-down Onkyo model '605 from a few years back and it can do both the receivers front panel or be displayed on the TV's screen. Though, of course, the TV onscreen is a little easier to use. I'd definitely give an HDMI-to-DVI cable or adapter a try.

Kazaam said:
Would you still be able to adjust the settings using the receiver's own front-panel display?

I've got an older, step-down Onkyo model '605 from a few years back and it can do both the receivers front panel or be displayed on the TV's screen. Though, of course, the TV onscreen is a little easier to use. I'd definitely give an HDMI-to-DVI cable or adapter a try.

Yes, you still can use the receivers front panel.

It was a close call between the Yammy 667 and the Onkyo. Although the Yammy does send the on screen display via component, the killer was that it does not convert 720P to 1080i, which my Mits TV needs.

I would have prefered a simple adapter so that if it does not work, I'd still have a spare HDMI cable to put into play. But all the adapters I could find were HDMI 1.0. I'm opting for an HDMI 1.3 to DVI cable instead.

My finger hovers over the mouse. :handgestures-thumbup:

Bob R said:
Keep your eyes on the watch. You are getting sleepy.
Very, very sleepy...
Earth is transforming, Her gravity is increasing. She pulls harder, harder...
Your finger is getting heavy.
Very Heavy.
Your muscles weaken.
Your head nods...

Hypnotist+-+look+into+my+eyes.jpg

I'd get it Bob. If the HDMI/DVI cable doesn't work, then that could be an excuse to get a new TV! A 50" 720p plasma can be had for easily under a grand.

Yesfan70 said:
I'd get it Bob. If the HDMI/DVI cable doesn't work, then that could be an excuse to get a new TV! A 50" 720p plasma can be had for easily under a grand.

Always thinking, ye are!

Bob R said:
Kazaam said:

It was a close call between the Yammy 667 and the Onkyo. Although the Yammy does send the on screen display via component, the killer was that it does not convert 720P to 1080i, which my Mits TV needs.

I would have prefered a simple adapter so that if it does not work, I'd still have a spare HDMI cable to put into play. But all the adapters I could find were HDMI 1.0. I'm opting for an HDMI 1.3 to DVI cable instead.

I've got two or three adapters laying around, Bob. You're certainly welcome to them.

Your concern regarding the upconversion from 720p to 1080i is unfounded, since the display's scaler will take care of that duty, and only three channels are broadcast in 720p, ABC, Fox, and ESPN.

Rope

Rope said:
Bob R said:

I've got two or three adapters laying around, Bob. You're certainly welcome to them.

Your concern regarding the upconversion from 720p to 1080i is unfounded, since the display's scaler will take care of that duty, and only three channels are broadcast in 720p, ABC, Fox, and ESPN.

This was my original thought, too. However, since Bob's Mitsubishi is one of those HDTV-ready models that relies on an external tuner, would it still have the scaler built in to upconvert it to 1080i? I wonder if maybe he isn't right about 720p not working.

Though about those cables/adapters... I didn't think the version of HDMI mattered for connecting devices; I know the equipment has a certain HDMI version such as 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 but I for some reason I thought all HDMI cables were the same as far as features/compatibility??? Am I wrong or can someone confirm?

Kazaam said:
Rope said:
Bob R said:

This was my original thought, too. However, since Bob's Mitsubishi is one of those HDTV-ready models that relies on an external tuner, would it still have the scaler built in to upconvert it to 1080i? I wonder if maybe he isn't right about 720p not working.

Though about those cables/adapters... I didn't think the version of HDMI mattered for connecting devices; I know the equipment has a certain HDMI version such as 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 but I for some reason I thought all HDMI cables were the same as far as features/compatibility??? Am I wrong or can someone confirm?

He can't watch DVD with the display? It must have a scaler, other wise he'd be limited to 1080i broadcasts, no DVD, Blu-ray, or the likes.

If this is the case, a new display is in order.

Rope

Bob,

My Onkyo is up and running and ready for calibration.

So far, so good, very easy after a few hick-ups.

Heeman

TitaniumTroy said:
Anybody know what is the main difference between the Onkyo NR708 vs NR808 other than the price?

NR808 - NR708 = 100

The difference is 100.

:?

Back