• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Article -- High End Headphones

I have spent quick a bit of time with the Q701 and it has a bit more bass in what I call the "upper bass" range of about 80Hz to 200Hz. Otherwise I found it to have the same sound signature as the K701. The boost in the upper bass, in my opinion, masks the output in the lower bass.

In my recording rig I own:

AKG K701
AKG K702 (no reason other than I needed another pair for when I am not working alone)
AKG K240DF (my personal favorite as I cut my teeth on these things)
AKG K240 Studio
AKG K271
Sennheiser HD580
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD414 (from the old days)
Grado SR80i
Sony MDR7506

How do you think the 650's compare to the 580's? I have owned both as well but could not justify keeping the 580's after really listening to them both.

I also own the SR80i, very very "meh" for me.

Would love to hear the MDR7506's, send them to me when you are bored with them, lol.

Amps...

In the studio I use the Presonus HP4.

In my home rig use my Onkyo Pro HT Processor.

In my corp. cubicle I use a FiiO E7.

On the road I usually use my Samsung SIII or S5 phone, but sometimes I use a FiiO E5.

That's pretty much it. No complaints at all.

walls said:
How do you think the 650's compare to the 580's? I have owned both as well but could not justify keeping the 580's after really listening to them both.

I also own the SR80i, very very "meh" for me.

Would love to hear the MDR7506's, send them to me when you are bored with them, lol.

I prefer the HD580's over the HD650's, but most of my producer friends are more familiar with the HD650's, so I keep them around for reference (I want to know what they are going to hear before I send the songs to them).

I generally don't like the SR80i's. They are brash and don't fit on my ears well and thus cause pain over time. However, they are a good reference for what some people will hear with they listen to my music, so I have them as an alternative HP.

Back