• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Asian Cinema - the third child.

big bump.

recently saw this trailer on the Black death movie with Sean bean...

good thing i already saw it. :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred:

13 assassins.

13_assassins_movie_poster.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ILO2RWhEw[/youtube]

fans of kurosawa, of casshern, of er... anything with samurais in em.

this is the movie you want to see.

i like it raw.

quick updates,

-13th assassin is now on blu-ray, dvd this coming 5th.
- the man from nowhere is available for streaming via Netflix

I implore you, rent, buy, watch 13th Assassin. Im SURE you will enjoy this one.

Same with the Man From Nowhere. Definitely a great movie.

jomari said:
quick updates,

-13th assassin is now on blu-ray, dvd this coming 5th.
- the man from nowhere is available for streaming via Netflix

I implore you, rent, buy, watch 13th Assassin. Im SURE you will enjoy this one.

Same with the Man From Nowhere. Definitely a great movie.

Watched man From Nowhere on your suggestion. Excellent movie thanks and i hate subtitles but this just drew me in. :handgestures-thumbup:

Srvy said:
Watched man From Nowhere on your suggestion. Excellent movie thanks and i hate subtitles but this just drew me in. :handgestures-thumbup:

Glad you liked it Srvy, one of the few movies out there that has replayability. i havent watched it recently again, but know i will in a couple of months.

Did you enjoy the knife scene?

Did i do a quick write up about The warriors way?

Its americanized i think, but mainly an english movie with an asian main character. Not bad, but definitely worth the rental. Think Good bad and the wierd, with the colors of sukiyaki dyango.

Jomari,

Thinking of you the other day when I received my copy of 13 Assassins on BluRay in the mail. Like many recent additions to my collection it is still in the shrink wrap. Need more time to catch up on movies. Right in the middle of winding down my son's two little league seasons (I coach both his teams... regular and all star teams) and dealing with a foot injury that has side lined my running for a month but should be all healed up soon. plus we moved our business and now our store manager is out for months w/surgery. Needless to say it's been a grind. Miss the movie chat with you and the guys and will try and find my way back around here ASAP.

Monkey

PS. This belongs in Euro Cinema... but check out Trollhunter from Norway. Won't spoil it by describing it. Just check it out.

hey HMKOTJ,

hows it been? busy summer for you im assuming.

yup. remembered you as well when i got to see 13 assassins. Nothing says Monkey like traditional samurai movies. The way i see it, a number of asian period movies have devoided the basics, and heavily rely on CGI, effects et al.

13 TRIES to stay within the lines, but breaks out almost towards the ending.

Nonetheless, i hope you enjoy, and maybe we can chit chat when you have the time.

For the meanwhile, im trying to look for new material.

Just to tease you to open your copy and watch 13, its done by your favorite director, Takashi Miike. ;)

I know it's up in the theater calling my name. Might just have to pull a late nighter and check it out.

Monkey

jomari said:
Srvy said:

Glad you liked it Srvy, one of the few movies out there that has replayability. i havent watched it recently again, but know i will in a couple of months.

Did you enjoy the knife scene?

Did i do a quick write up about The warriors way?

Its americanized i think, but mainly an english movie with an asian main character. Not bad, but definitely worth the rental. Think Good bad and the wierd, with the colors of sukiyaki dyango.

Yes that knife scene was the best ive seen just a good movie all around.

Twilight_Samurai_Poster.jpg

I don't remember if this was recommended by you guys or what, but it was in my netflix streaming queue and we watched it last night. Very interesting contrast to 13 Assassins that we saw earlier this week! Twilight Samurai is more of a - pardon the phrase - "samurai chick flick" in a way, because it deals with the personal and family life of a Samurai. Interestingly, it's actually set in pretty much exactly the same historical period as 13 Assassins, late 1800's at the end of the shogunate.

Very well done movie, good acting and story, and a unique glance into the personal side of the samurai system. Highly recommended, just don't expect your usual martial arts displays, that's not what this one's about.

im glad you liked twilight samurai Pauly (it felt wrong to refer it as Twilight)... and can see that you've done a little homework. They were essentially in the same era, reflecting the timepieces pretty well.

I loved Twilight Samurai - to the point of watching it only twice in my lifetime. its one of those movies that you want to pay homage to, without 'overdoing' it. Somehow, its the same reason i try to avoid watching Forrest Gump on tv.

Anyhoo, i loved this movie. simply because aside from it being a chick flick, it shows the true nature of the era - it was essentially a depression for them, with swords. Painfully realistic about samurais not being lone wolves but having families to feed, families to take care, children whom have had sleepless nights due to hunger.

Its a painful movie, and as a father, much more goes to heart.

Great movie overall. Thanks for the review Pauly.

jomari said:
Its a painful movie, and as a father, much more goes to heart.

Indeed, my two girls are not far in age from the main character's two daughters... definitely some empathy there.

i think what also got to me is being the head of the family, and seeing your family starving. ive been in situations where id end up sleeping in hunger, but maybe out of being too lazy or plain ol drunk, but not on purpose.

what more seeing a loved one go thru that.

its a great movie, thanks for reminding me of this one. do i want to watch it again? not really, again, my whole forrest gump analogy.

its got a warm spot in my heart to remember it by. ;)

jomari said:
big bump.

recently saw this trailer on the Black death movie with Sean bean...

good thing i already saw it. :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred:

13 assassins.

13_assassins_movie_poster.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ILO2RWhEw[/youtube]

fans of kurosawa, of casshern, of er... anything with samurais in em.

this is the movie you want to see.

i like it raw.

Watched this last night, was a rental but will definitely be buying. Very good movie.

altho i cant confirm if its in HD or not, 13 Assassins is available for streaming via Netflix.

^ Saw it on Bluray. As mentioned on other thread, it's good but having seen its predecessor Seven Samurai, it wasn't as good. If I haven't seen S S, then maybe.

Here's English version of trailer.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeEq1qR8qiw[/youtube]

quick heads up, i just saw two of my favorite korean movies are streaming via netflix...

arahan, which is a great comedy about a 'hero' finding himself... storyline towards the end can be a bit shallow, but man, oh man, i loved the 'beginnings'... i beg of you, two hours of your time and i know you wont regret it.

arahan.jpg

silmido,

220px-Silmido.jpg

based on a true story. its a great movie, but id hve to say, after taking a peek into it again earlier, it does seem a bit dated. it is dated. but man, its a great movie. hope you like it.

jomari said:
arahan, which is a great comedy about a 'hero' finding himself... storyline towards the end can be a bit shallow, but man, oh man, i loved the 'beginnings'... i beg of you, two hours of your time and i know you wont regret it.

arahan.jpg

This was pretty entertaining, thanks jomari! Wasn't sure what to expect, but it was an interesting mixture of action and comedy. Recommended!

41d7lL3pHxL.jpg

A Japanese film not distributed in this country. I bought a copy because of this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGd1DxnVO6o[/youtube]

It's a bit of a spoiler, but it doesn't really hurt the scene.

I keep wondering if there's a way to share this with a larger audience?

Back