• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Assassin's creed - Unity

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
Woo-hoo! New Assassin's creed just came out for PC!

Hmm... maybe I'll take the day off tomorrow. :laughing:

Wish you had an Xbox One, I'd give you Black Flag. I couldn't stand it, after about an hour in I gave up.

Ha! Yeah I played that one - and every other installment since the very first. The ship stuff got a little tedious at times. But overall I still liked it a lot.

i kinda got tired of the ac franchise. at one point i just simply gave up on black flag, i kinda got tired of it, and for some eery reason, the protagonist totally reminds me of heath ledger.

ironically, i am excited about shadows of mordor. i plan to get it on tuesday for my ps3.

tell us how it goes pauly!

Yeah the Black Flag character was a bit of an anti-hero. He got to be a little less of a jerk as you moved through the game.

For me personally, a big draw on these games is the 3D graphics. The quality of the rendering, at least on the PC, is really stunning. Good graphics is one of the major reasons I play certain games.

:laughing: Started this up this morning, and the first thing I always do is tweak the graphics settings for performance. Well... I need a new GPU, my 2-yo card is already out of date. Ah, the tribulations of a PC gamer...

Damn Pauly seemed like you just splurged on that PC :scared-eek:

PaulyT said:
Ah, the tribulations of a PC gamer...
As much as I miss PC gaming, I don't miss that ordeal one iota. As I see it, every game I bought ultimately cost me $500.

Buy a game.
Can't play it on max settings.
Buy the latest and greatest card.
Game plays fine.
Buy the latest and greatest game.
Can't play it on max.
Buy new card.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Yeah, depending on what games you play, a GPU's lifetime may be only 2-3 years. One of the biggest things I get out of games is cool graphics, so I'm kinda on the short end of that cycle. That's ok.

Batman said:

Kinda. The rest of the PC itself - cpu, ram, disk, etc. - is doing just fine. It's only the video card that needs to be replaced. It's ~$200 for the one I want, not like buying a whole new PC at least. I never buy the very-latest-top-of-the-line GPU because they get really REALLY expensive as you start to push performance limits. I don't need to be THAT bleeding edge.

one of the biggest reasons why i opted out of pc games is the constant upgrading. i wish tho i can venture into it again.

nothing beats the experience of playing something like max payne back in my day on full throttle compared to the ps2 version.

If you really want to see what the difference in these graphics options is, this is a good page to look at, because you can do side-by-side comparisons. Ok this sort of stuff is really for computer graphics purists/enthusiasts, and doesn't affect actual gameplay. But if you're into this sort of thing, like I am, it's kind of a big deal.

:text-link:

^--- I think of this as exactly analogous to high-end audio systems. If you're really concentrating and giving it your full attention, you'll hear a significant different between a high-end and medium/low-end system. But we're not always paying such careful attention; if it's just on in the background while you're drinking a beer with your friends, it hardly matters. Same in a video game. When you're absorbed in the plot and the gameplay, the graphics are not critical - so long as the frame rate is fast enough for smooth motion. But in those cases where, as I often do, you stop your character and just look around at the often amazing worlds the game designers have created, then this graphics stuff takes on a whole different level of importance.

It's not for everyone, but for those of us who care, it's worth the extra $$, just like we pay extra $$ for good speakers, separate amps, acoustic treatments, etc.

i completely agree. there IS a difference when you pause, look around and see what kind of spectacle the world the developers took the time, blood and dedication they took to literally immerse you. there are games out there that do that, and my example recently, max payne, was a standout for me. it mattered that when i played it during the pc days, it was an experience i remembered clearly. it impacted me a lot and got me into 'investing' into games and the pc components of it.

so when i went into the ps2 port, i was hoping, expecting somewhat of the same experience. i beg to differ. it felt 'empty' despite being a familiar ground/world, it didnt have as much impact as it did on the pc. id like to say it was full of life but max payne is a bad example of saying such. you pretty much know what i mean when i say so.

Well, got the new card (nVidia GTX 760), the $200 card... probably should sprung for the $300 card. :laughing: Game's definitely playable now though, just not on the very highest rendering settings. But this game's really extreme in its requirements. Gorgeous graphics! By contrast, the new Borderlands probably uses about 20% of the GPU's power.

PaulyT said:
If you really want to see what the difference in these graphics options is, this is a good page to look at, because you can do side-by-side comparisons. Ok this sort of stuff is really for computer graphics purists/enthusiasts, and doesn't affect actual gameplay. But if you're into this sort of thing, like I am, it's kind of a big deal.

Seriously ... Is my reaction to the people who care this much about this level of graphical detail what non-HT guys think of us? Because that is just bat-shit crazy.

Towen7 said:
Is my reaction to the people who care this much about this level of graphical detail what non-HT guys think of us?

I believe so, yes.

So far, enjoying this one. The main character - Arno - is not as annoying as the Black Flag guy (forget his name at the moment), but IMHO not as interesting as Ezio... Plot's pretty good overall. As usual, there are a few new elements in the game, like the "rifts" and the extensive collection of equipment.

However, I gotta say that the detail they've put in the surroundings is amazing! It's so much fun to climb around on reasonably accurate 3D models of Notre Dame or the Eiffel tower! (The whole game takes place in Paris.) This visual realism is probably the biggest reason I like this franchise so much.

PaulyT said:
Yeah, depending on what games you play, a GPU's lifetime may be only 2-3 years. One of the biggest things I get out of games is cool graphics, so I'm kinda on the short end of that cycle. That's ok.

Batman said:

Kinda. The rest of the PC itself - cpu, ram, disk, etc. - is doing just fine. It's only the video card that needs to be replaced. It's ~$200 for the one I want, not like buying a whole new PC at least. I never buy the very-latest-top-of-the-line GPU because they get really REALLY expensive as you start to push performance limits. I don't need to be THAT bleeding edge.

Pauly,
Was your power supply good enough? I am in the process (with two computers and two kids who now want to play more video intensive games )of replacing video cards. In researching , I read about recommended power supply amounts. Most say at least 500W. Mine are 350. This is starting to be more expensive and complicated than I thought/hoped it would be.
Mike

Yeah, I've got a 650W PS...

Actually, since writing the above, I've upgraded to a GTX 970... :oops: Anyone want to buy a lightly used GTX 760? :laughing: The 760 just wasn't quite enough to get me a decent framerate at full 1080p resolution.

Back