• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

ATI AT1502

Nice find, congrats.
I've never actually the Yammie under it's own power. I hooked mine right up to the Rotel amp from day one. I'm guessing you'll be very happy next time you fire up the music.

Looks like it's in pretty good condition.
Cosmetically absolutely. There's a minor scratch on the front but until I saw my own picture, I had not noted it. I have the amp recessed back in my little stand and due to space constraints, I shifted the stand to the right so the center could stay centered and I could move up the Oppo player

I'm looking forward to your amp arrival and your thoughts.
I would use a sound meter and take notice of sound at different sound levels from your current setup to the new amp. See if you notice anything like maybe a cleaner sound at higher levels or something.

^He'll do that but first he has to finish 4 movies, 2 concert videos and yesterday's lunch.
Ha ha. I'm actually at Sicario Soldado right now. I believe I will finish this movie since I'm at the theater.

But @Razz he's kind of right. That might not be happening soon. My main issue is I have no music in lossless formats. I only have Tidal but it's my wife's family plan so the cheaper one. I'd like to hear non wireless lossless music.

I would think the largest benefit from the ATI is that you will be able to plug it into your system and be able to forget about it until you will it to your kids. Honestly, the technology of solid state power amplifiers hasn't changed substantially since the 1980s. The largest change now is toward class D, which is cheaper, lighter and more power efficient; and its "good enough" for the vast, vast majority of people.

I would think the largest benefit from the ATI is that you will be able to plug it into your system and be able to forget about it until you will it to your kids. Honestly, the technology of solid state power amplifiers hasn't changed substantially since the 1980s. The largest change now is toward class D, which is cheaper, lighter and more power efficient; and its "good enough" for the vast, vast majority of people.
I know many reputable companies such as ATI among others have Class D amps. The size and not Needing the ventilation as much seems very appealing. What is lost vs using the class a/b setup? Just curious

I know many reputable companies such as ATI among others have Class D amps. The size and not Needing the ventilation as much seems very appealing. What is lost vs using the class a/b setup? Just curious
Class D has two main limitations; one is a relatively lower damping factor due to the need to have an inductor in series with the output to filter high frequency clocking noise, and two, the presence of that residual clocking noise on the output of the amplifier in spite of the series inductor.

With demanding speakers which have impedances which dip to as low as 1 ohm, the damping factor can be less than it would be with a class A/B amplifier. Its not really a problem with more normal easier to drive speakers though.

A larger issue in my opinion is the presence of residual clocking noise on the output of the amplifier which I normally see as 1 or 2 volts. This can cause unpredictable intermodulation distortions with the main audio signal which can be audible depending on the tweeter driver, your sensitivity to hearing this type of distortion, and the music you listen to. The digital amplifier manufacturers will swear that this is not a problem, obviously.

ATI does make tons of class D amplifiers; obviously they know the writing is on the wall and class A/B is ultimately a dead-end for mass manufacturing.

Class D has two main limitations; one is a relatively lower damping factor due to the need to have an inductor in series with the output to filter high frequency clocking noise, and two, the presence of that residual clocking noise on the output of the amplifier in spite of the series inductor.

With demanding speakers which have impedances which dip to as low as 1 ohm, the damping factor can be less than it would be with a class A/B amplifier. Its not really a problem with more normal easier to drive speakers though.

A larger issue in my opinion is the presence of residual clocking noise on the output of the amplifier which I normally see as 1 or 2 volts. This can cause unpredictable intermodulation distortions with the main audio signal which can be audible depending on the tweeter driver, your sensitivity to hearing this type of distortion, and the music you listen to. The digital amplifier manufacturers will swear that this is not a problem, obviously.

ATI does make tons of class D amplifiers; obviously they know the writing is on the wall and class A/B is ultimately a dead-end for mass manufacturing.
Thank you

I finally got to sit down last night and listen to some music. I put on Radiohead's OK Computer for a few tracks.

I really haven't done A/B at this time due to time. As you know I've been making several changes to the system and room since moving into the house. I believe I made very nice improvements with the acoustic panels, the new speakers , new receiver and the amp.

It is clear the upgrade in speakers and acoustics was well worth it. The amp for me just is there but not. I make no note of any noise with the amp but the F206 just play clear and nice with no sense of strain.

The overall experience with the speakers and amp made me smile. I note some detail of notes clinging on in the mix that I hadn't noted before. These are intentional things put in the tracks and it is almost like finding hidden gems in the audio.

I am very happy with the purchase of getting an amp like this one for the price I did.

I am glad you enjoy the amp.

But, purely for clarity on the issue, if you hadn't critically listened to the amp since also upgrading and adding acoustic panels I am completely convinced that the panels had a vastly more significant impact on what you hear than any properly functioning hifi amp could ever have on the sound.

...I am completely convinced that the panels had a vastly more significant impact on what you hear than any properly functioning hifi amp could ever have on the sound.

I would second that. Any change in power amplification, even going from solid state to tubes or vise versa is going to be smaller than the difference acoustics and acoustic treatments can achieve. Power amplifiers are kind of boring that way.

I am glad you enjoy the amp.

But, purely for clarity on the issue, if you hadn't critically listened to the amp since also upgrading and adding acoustic panels I am completely convinced that the panels had a vastly more significant impact on what you hear than any properly functioning hifi amp could ever have on the sound.
I'm fully aware. I will do a/b on receiver and amp. Will be a while before doing tgough.

Still trying to figure out music. Tidal does okay but still is lacking

Last edited:
I think just having peace of mind that you have a great amplifier driving those great speakers is worth the purchase. No worries if you get crazy and really push the system hard.

Of course, a good amp is always nice to have, especially when you start playing content loud. At levels below the proverbial "Dolby reference level" any decent 75W minimum amp will do a fine job and replacing it won't make much of a difference, if any at all. However, if you really are pushing the SPLs and have some truly dynamic recordings which may overwhelm a lower end sub 100 W amp, a good larger amp is always a great thing.

Of course, a good amp is always nice to have, especially when you start playing content loud. At levels below the proverbial "Dolby reference level" any decent 75W minimum amp will do a fine job and replacing it won't make much of a difference, if any at all. However, if you really are pushing the SPLs and have some truly dynamic recordings which may overwhelm a lower end sub 100 W amp, a good larger amp is always a great thing.

We don’t know anyone that does that???

Back