• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Audioengine

Towen7

Staff member
My employer has an incentive program with a catalog to order stuff with points earned for various achievements.

I was "shopping" and came across these Audioengine speakers. I'm trying to figure out what the two pairs of "wireless bookshelf speakers" are. The first three pairs are clearly A5's and the last two pairs are clearly A2s. I removed the "price" and the catalog's product number just in case they are proprietary but the "wireless powered" speakers are 40% less than the A5s. The "wireless powered" speaker pic looks like the A5s. Are they A5's with an included wireless adapter? That seems unlikely since they cost less than the A5s alone. I cant find that Audioengine ever made a "wireless powered" speaker.

I have no idea what these are. Do you? It's bugging the bejesus out of me.

Audioengine.png

FWIW, here is my catalog's description of the mystery "wireless powered" Audioengine speakers...
No Receiver No Problem! For listening to real stereo sound Audioengine is all you need. If you want awesome powered speakers for your iPod, MP3 player, computer, game console, TV or DVD player but don't want a bulky receiver/amp hogging up your space, Audioengine is the perfect solution. Made from renewable and sustainable solid bamboo - no veneers. No stains or paint used - naturally "carbonized" finish sealed with hand-rubbed water-based satin polyurethane.

And my catalog's description of the "5" 75W Bookshelf Speakers"... Looks like A5's to me.
Hand-finished cabinets with 5" kevlar woofers, 20mm silk dome tweeters, 150W RMS total power, a built-in AC power outlet on the rear panel, a USB power port on the top panel that can be used for powering wireless products to stream music, optional Audioengine AW1 wireless WiFi adapter is available for wireless connections, two audio inputs, built-in power amp, magnetically shielded, front panel volume control, remote control, subwoofer output, cables included, 3 year warranty, 10"H x 7"W x 7.75"D.

And finally the "powered desktop speakers". This time the VIEW INFO link actually specifies that these are the A2s.
Audioengine 2 (A2) Premium Powered Desktop Speakers - The new standard for multimedia sound and closes the gap between computer speakers and home audio. Audioengine 2 is the perfect upgrade for your computer, iPod, and all your music.

But nowhere on Audioengines site do they reference a wireless powered speaker. Maybe I should just order them to find-out. The catalog service has a reputation for accepting returns without hassles.

So your guess is that the "wireless powered speaker" is really just the W2 (or newer W3) wireless adapter?

Towen7 said:
So your guess is that the "wireless powered speaker" is really just the W2 (or newer W3) wireless adapter?

I have the ability to purchase the wireless adapters and plug them into my A-5s and another USB adapter into my computer. However, there still needs to be a speaker wire connecting the volume control speaker to the other speaker. So, the whole wireless connotation is a bit misleading.

Rope

I would give them a call if they have a phone number for sales. I think the A5s have had a revision recently. Perhaps they could be an older version? Wishful thinking, but you never know.

I'm guessing its a mistake. If these are the A5+ they shouldn't be priced 40% less than the A5. I'll try calling but this catalog company is essentially a reseller so I don't expect the person that answers to have a clue about product specifics.

My friend Carlos has the A5'S and this is what he has to say...........

I have the powered models which are the A5. They are wireless only when you use as an example an airport express plug from Apple which plugs right into the back of the left speaker....it has a 120 outlet right there on the speaker. It had two miniplug inputs (one on the back and one on top) from which you run a short wire from the airport express to the input.

You can stream music from any iPod iPad or computer running iTunes in full lossless wirelessly.

I believe audioengine also makes some dongles to do something similar that is not tied to any particular platform like Apple. But you have to have a single on the transmitting end with their device as opposed to Apple which goes through the wireless network.

Back