• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Audiophiles Annoy Me

Come on man.............I am looking for the definition of how Brits use of this word?

There's a reason my boys who all joined the various forums in 2003 to try to educate on logical audio advice all have given up. I am the only one left.

It's still an insult, just not considered as vulgar as here in the states.
I distinctly remember going to a Who concert back in the early '80's at Exhibition Stadium in Toronto. Joe Jackson opened. Apparently he was not really appreciated by the Who crowd. People starting throwing things at him on stage. Someone hit him with a piece of fruit I believe. That is when he uttered the words "That was stupid you cunt!!"

Edit: Did some research. It was 1982. It was his keyboard player who was hit by an orange. Opening act was supposed to be The Clash. I guess Joe was a poor sub for the Clash.

I totally get it. I have been called an audiophile but consider myself an audio enthusiast. I like music. Everyone must decide for themselves, how good is good enough. For those that take a lofty attitude, I just walk away. They will not concede, listen to reason and don't confuse them with facts. High end audio is like talking with someone about politics or religion. It almost has a cult mentality. You speak the dogma or are considered a heretic.

I totally get it. I have been called an audiophile but consider myself an audio enthusiast. I like music. Everyone must decide for themselves, how good is good enough. For those that take a lofty attitude, I just walk away. They will not concede, listen to reason and don't confuse them with facts. High end audio is like talking with someone about politics or religion. It almost has a cult mentality. You speak the dogma or are considered a heretic.

^ Well spoken!

Everyone has their own opinions about everything with life in general, if one maintains their own personal belief with what they are passionate about, there should not be no bother to other opinions. Just stick to what you luv & believe in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've basically lost all interest in hair splitting over stuff I probably cannot see or hear to begin with. To me, it is the overall experience I am after. That means high convenience, a great user interface, a good catalog browsing experience, top-notch video and sound - the whole package. If I have to sacrifice a very small modicum of quality to achieve the total goal, I am more than willing to. Using Vudu is a good example of this. The video quality is not quite Blu-Ray. Sometimes there are artifacts (usually banding and mostly due to bandwidth issues). I am willing to take that hit because I pay 1/2 to 1/3 what I would pay for a Blu-Ray, I don't have to rip it (which is a pain), I don't have to store it on my NAS (which costs a few bucks per movie), I can access my library from anywhere, I can share my library with my family and I can browse my library from the couch. I have been literally insulted by people saying that there are any influencing concerns other than absolute obsession with every increment of perfection. This seem a bit silly to me, since the technology is constantly evolving and today's perfection will soon be tomorrow's junk. I just want to enjoy a movie.

What's worse, is they don't realize when the contradict themselves.

Does anyone? I mean, I know on the rare occasion one can have an epiphany/ change of conscience but for the most part I think it is an inherent part of human nature to NOT realize when you contradict yourself. Most people believe what they are saying when they are saying it, that is why they are saying it.

There are of course the exceptions like the antagonist who may disagree with a previous position simply for the sake of argument or to further discussion...

This seem a bit silly to me, since the technology is constantly evolving and today's perfection will soon be tomorrow's junk.

Not that absolute perfection can ever be achieved, I don't think my 1960s Altec A7-500 speakers, or my tube amps from the same era, the single ended triode of which uses a tube design from 1933 would agree much with that statement. A more accurate way of looking at this would be that some designs and technologies stand the test of time much better than others. In the mid 1960s literally every audio manufacturer was damning the "junk" obsolete tube technology and were jumping on early transistor designs. While transistor designs are obviously still with us, very arguably the topology which they compare their sound to is that of vacuum tubes; its never the other way around.

Likewise, would you say that a 1956 Corvette convertible is obsolete junk? I'd sure like a bit of that junk!

Too funny! I have never been referred to as 'a bud.' :);):)

Gheez so now Zing has got you grading my posts. :nyah:

Well I was actually referring to Haywood but once again after re reading my post I can certainly see where that was misread and misinterpreted. Sheesh I am going to have to take an English course or something. Or, at least start paying attention to what I type.

Nah, not likely!!!

Back