• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Audiophools abound

One meter of their second best speaker wires $34, 900 per meter, top set "call for pricing" Low end 1299 per meter.

Reminds me of the magnets that have been sold that you place onto your body and they cure everything.

At least they don’t provide returns or refunds.

Audiophools continue to amaze me!

Someone made this MEME, and while it is an interesting idea, it is completely false - FAKE NEWS!!!

71841926_10157898854113982_4621346031236284416_n.jpg

The MEME implies that Vinyl has more resolution than CD and MP3, but if you look at the performance specifications of the various formats, this is FAR from what the basic fact demonstrate. And, as always when I discuss LPs, this is not to say one cannot truly love the sound of LPs over CDs. I am only calling out the inference that LPs are somehow inherently higher resolution than CDs, which they are not.

Frequency response
CD: perfectly linear from 5 Hz to 19,000 Hz
LP outer groove region: +/- 3dB from 25 Hz to 22,000 Hz
LP inner groove region: +/- 4dB from 25 Hz to 17,000 Hz

Dynamic Range (as measured by S/N)
CD: Completely linear at >85dB / within 0.5 dB to 94dB
CD with dither: Effectively audible to > 100dB
LP outer groove region: >76dB
LP inner groove region: ~50dB

Channel Separation
CD: >90dB
LP: from ~35dB to 50dB in the important midrange

Wow & Flutter
CD: none
LP: depends on turntable and pressing, can range from ~0.4% and ~0.03%

THD
CD: <0.001%
LP outer groove region: ~0.9% to 2.5% (depending on cartridge, preamp, and LP pressing)
LP inner groove region: ~2.0% to 7.0% (depending on the cartridge, preamp, and LP pressing)

Performance over Time
CD: No change virtually forever
LP: Decays with every playing of the LP, catastrophic damage can occur with improper handling and cleaning

Audiophools continue to amaze me!

Someone made this MEME, and while it is an interesting idea, it is completely false - FAKE NEWS!!!

View attachment 9812

The MEME implies that Vinyl has more resolution than CD and MP3, but if you look at the performance specifications of the various formats, this is FAR from what the basic fact demonstrate. And, as always when I discuss LPs, this is not to say one cannot truly love the sound of LPs over CDs. I am only calling out the inference that LPs are somehow inherently higher resolution than CDs, which they are not.

Frequency response
CD: perfectly linear from 5 Hz to 19,000 Hz
LP outer groove region: +/- 3dB from 25 Hz to 22,000 Hz
LP inner groove region: +/- 4dB from 25 Hz to 17,000 Hz

Dynamic Range (as measured by S/N)
CD: Completely linear at >85dB / within 0.5 dB to 94dB
CD with dither: Effectively audible to > 100dB
LP outer groove region: >76dB
LP inner groove region: ~50dB

Channel Separation
CD: >90dB
LP: from ~35dB to 50dB in the important midrange

Wow & Flutter
CD: none
LP: depends on turntable and pressing, can range from ~0.4% and ~0.03%

THD
CD: <0.001%
LP outer groove region: ~0.9% to 2.5% (depending on cartridge, preamp, and LP pressing)
LP inner groove region: ~2.0% to 7.0% (depending on the cartridge, preamp, and LP pressing)

Performance over Time
CD: No change virtually forever
LP: Decays with every playing of the LP, catastrophic damage can occur with improper handling and cleaning

Yeah but how warm is a CD? :bouncygrin:

Did you know that the quality of your home media server streaming performance can be significantly improved by buying a better Ethernet switch?

Fidelizer EtherStream Network Switch

"When compared to the NetGear switch that typically resides in my system, the EtherStream delivers a sound that's not only deathly quiet, but punchier in character, with deeper, more defined bass and a significantly more liquid midrange. And installing the EtherStream is very uncomplicated; you simply insert it in place of your existing network switch and reconnect all your Ethernet cables. The eight ports provided are more than adequate for most any home network."

Did you know that the quality of your home media server streaming performance can be significantly improved by buying a better Ethernet switch?

"When compared to the NetGear switch that typically resides in my system, the EtherStream delivers a sound that's not only deathly quiet, but punchier in character, with deeper, more defined bass and a significantly more liquid midrange. And installing the EtherStream is very uncomplicated; you simply insert it in place of your existing network switch and reconnect all your Ethernet cables. The eight ports provided are more than adequate for most any home network."

So I have been slow to leap to streaming and this is the product I have been waiting for. I discovered long ago that streaming was far superior to USB playback. Now I am vindicated.

So I have been slow to leap to streaming and this is the product I have been waiting for. I discovered long ago that streaming was far superior to USB playback. Now I am vindicated.
JFC Randy! How long have you been part of this forum? Until you lift your cables off the floor using those wooden blocks made from those non-resonant trees in the rain forest, nothing else will improve the sound from any source.

Damn it, man. Get your shit together.

I don't know Zing....

These sound improving bells TOTALLY enhance my music and I swear by them!!!
Nothing screams hi-fi like bells on my walls!!!

1576605794053.png

This may be the stupidest thing I've read this year.

Someone here in Austin posted this to the local Audiophile FB Group:

Have recently assembled a system I am reasonably pleased with at a price point that works for me. Consists of a Magna Hifi re-engineered Sonos Connect, PS Audio Direct Stream DAC, PS Audio Stellar 300 amp, and Dynaudio Special 40 speakers, REL t/7i subwoofer. Steve mentioned to me that Stillpoints made a definitive impact on his system, so I have been doing some investigation of them. I am surprised that the Stillpoints website provides vey limited intelligence about their products, how to use them, where best to use them, which side goes up versus down, comparative advantages etc. Given my system, would appreciate any input on using Stillpoints and what sequence would make the most sense, etc. I have upgraded all my cables and interconnects, so am happy with what I have so far. Thanks.

The Stillpoints comments are hilarious. A product with "very limited intelligence" about how to use them... hmmm...

Also

The retail price of the DAC is $6,000
The retail price of a pair of Dynaudio Special 40 speakers is $3,000

I am absolutely positive this system sounds amazing, so I am not attempting to claim this is a shitty system by any means. But, to spend significantly more on electronics than speakers, well, that's what I call an Audiophool move.

I am still struggling to comprehend the experience I had in that home theater this morning. How does anyone hear anything in that room with the bass so much louder than everything else in the soundtrack? He was so consumed with getting the most bass in his room, nothing else really matters - yet he cut holes in his ceiling and installed ATMOS overhead speakers?

Help me.

Perhaps he’s wanting tactile response? You said the bass was overbearing but did it beat the shit out of you physically? I once left a demo of John Wick feeling like Mike Tyson pounded my ribs into hamburger because of a near field sub firing directly into the back of the MLP. But I’ve also experienced over-the-top bass that was loud but didn’t kick me in the chest...

Back