• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Audiophools abound

I think that would fail. I've learned over the years that people who have developed a strong, albeit false, knowledge of how things work don't believe the truth when presented with evidence. Like my buddy who took over 5 visits with at least hour long listening sessions to realize that my rig made plain ol' CDs sound vastly superior to his multi-thousand dollar turntable setup when he's spent well over 30 years perfecting.

Over time I too have learned that some people, including my friends, really don't care to look at or understand measurements. They would rather read what random people on the internet say about how "musical" a certain speaker is, or how "great an amp sounds", even when measurements reveal such products are not competently designed :rolleyes:

As a result, I've learned that I just have to pick my battles lol.

Just came across this statement in the Dynaudio thread over on AVS:
Also, you mention that eq can't address first reflections....which isn't necessary with well designed speakers with excellent off axis performance. Reflections actually improve sound quality and add to spaciousness. A lot of the room treatment beliefs stem from suboptimal 2 channel systems, failure to use eq, and poorly designed speakers that benefit from reducing reflections due to poor design/engineering. Some room treatment can undoubtedly be beneficial for those who are willing to sacrifice the aesthetics of their living room for it, but not nearly as critical as many people believe, imo.

I'm tempted to reply with a quote from @Flint's HT Acoustics Part 1 document about early reflections and echo...

Just came across this statement in the Dynaudio thread over on AVS:

I'm tempted to reply with a quote from @Flint's HT Acoustics Part 1 document about early reflections and echo...

Facts are facts. Just don't drag me into a fight with strangers.

The statements you quoted are bad acoustic theory and fail to account for how humans hear sound and interpret it.

Last edited:

In his conclusion, he states (about ethernet cables) "... what they did do was allow a window into how the different construction and materials involved with each cable affected the flavoring of the spectrum in the audible frequency band..."

Wow just wow :rolleyes:

In his conclusion, he states (about ethernet cables) "... what they did do was allow a window into how the different construction and materials involved with each cable affected the flavoring of the spectrum in the audible frequency band..."

Wow just wow :rolleyes:

pretty crazy, eh?

Have any of you noticed that audio nerds who own a Reel-to-Reel always always own four to ten Reel-to-Reel machines?

Have any of you noticed that audio nerds who own a Reel-to-Reel always always own four to ten Reel-to-Reel machines?
I've always wanted to get myself an open-reel tape deck but since I don't own any tapes and the tapes are hard to get, it would make no sense for me to pursue that hobby. I have a cassette deck and seem to find them quite readily but even there, I have such a small collection of cassettes and I hardly ever play them anymore.

I've always wanted to get myself an open-reel tape deck but since I don't own any tapes and the tapes are hard to get, it would make no sense for me to pursue that hobby. I have a cassette deck and seem to find them quite readily but even there, I have such a small collection of cassettes and I hardly ever play them anymore.

There is an industry producing new Reel recordings, but they are expensive. Most hard-core reel-heads make their own live recordings of performances they attend, and there's a tape trading community out there (one reason most reel-heads own two machines, to make copies).

Cassette tapes are seeing a resurgence. Bands are passing them out after shows to get their music out there. CDs are blaise. Cassette is cool retro and a novelty in the world of streaming. It is a shame they settled on one of the worst sounding technologies every produced, but my daughter thinks it is fun. I gave her my entire collection of cassette tapes from high school (mostly hair bands) and she's having a good time with it.

Back