• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Beats Pro by Dr. Dre

What I hate even more, because this affects me directly, is that since I looked up the various Beats by Dr. Dre products on Amazon to see what they cost, what versions are offered, and what the customer reviews look like, my Amazon Prime starting page is now filled with Beats and competitor "trendy" phones. ARG!

The beat goes on, the beat goes on
Drums keep pounding a rhythm to the brain
La de da de de, la de da de da,

now think Sonny and Cher.
:banana-stoner:

Thanks for the Bose story Flint, gawd I can't stand those BoneHeads, Opps I mean BoseHeads. You have more patience than me, after awhile I would have had to tell that Tool my opinion of Bose.

I just bought a new pair of IEMs from Amazon. This morning they sent me an e-mail with the subject, "Amazon.com: Headphones You May Have Missed". There are 6 items in the e-mail. Number 1 on the list are the Bose IE2s, number 2 are the Bose QuietComfort 15 and number 6 are the Beats Studio...

I guess I did miss them in the sense that I didn't even consider them...

The Beats headphones were left at my house last night, so I decided to do a live test of them. I have available in my recording rig a total of twelve identical headphone amps (three Presonus HP4 units). I plugged each of my headphones into separate inputs and plugged a high end Audio Technica microphone into my rig and fed it, pure analog, straight to the outputs so I would hear whatever it was picking up perfectly. I calibrated the outputs of the headphones to within 0.5dB SPL to ensure volume didn't influence sound quality. I used a 50 foot long cable for the mic and I placed it in my kitchen while my stepson was making snacks and futzing. Then, along with my wife and good music producer friend, I switched between headphones to see which sounded the most natural and provided the most detail. Since we were switching rapidly, I didn't include the IEMs in this test. They take too long to insert correctly.

What was surprising was that we all generally agreed with the results. Here's the list in order of realism and accuracy to our ears.

1) AKG K701
2) AKG K240 DF
3) AKG K240 S
4) Sennheiser HD580
5) Sony MDR-7506
6) AKG K271
7) Grado SR225i
8) Sennheiser HD280
9) Grado SR80
10) Free earbuds that came with my Zune 64GB
11) Beats Pro by Dr. Dre
12) $2 lightweigh over the head headphones you get from the stewardess on long flights

We all agreed the Beats were just unnatural. The bass was overly boomy and rumbly. The treble was tinny and harsh. And there were sounds in the kitchen we simply couldn't make out, like when it was obvious that utensils were clicking together on all the other headphones, it sounded more like wooden drumsticks clicking together on the Beats Pro. At one point we could all hear my son subtly humming a song to himself on all of the headphones. You could not hear him at all on the Beats Pro. It was silly!

The music producer buddy of mine was laughing his ass off because he is starting to see musicians, record company people, and young intern wannabe recording engineers show up at the studios he works in carrying Beats headphones with them as their "reference phones". It is common for engineers and producers to use their own reference headphones and even nearfield monitors, but usually everyone can agree that the choices for those products makes sense, even if they are not right for everyone. He was laughing because the most critical aspect of reference monitor headphones for a mixing engineer is the uncanny ability to hear every single minute detail coming from every single mic and sound source in the studio. A mixer has to hear everything and fix even the most soft and subtle issue (like hums, buzzes and clicks) and enhance every single good aspect of the subtle nuances of the sound. With the Beats by Dr. Dre, you simply cannot hear it.

This is the future!

There was a similar issue back in the early 1980s when American loudspeaker companies started using the term "Studio Monitor" in the names of the consumer products. I remember seeing Infinity and JBL consumer products showing up in studios, which was silly. Not necessarily because they sounded poor. It was silly because they simply could not play nearly loud enough or handle the constant loud levels required in studio environments. Oh, and none of them were reference quality enough for serious studio work. They were good for listening to a mix on what was then the common sound for home audio. Still, most of the bozos who thought they could get the performance of a $5,000 pair of studio monitors from a $500 pair of Infinity speakers were often VERY disappointed when they eventually failed.

I listened to some Beats models on BB and was shocked at how bad they sounded for the money. My $100 Westone UM-1 IEMs sound WAY better.

Haywood said:
I listened to some Beats models on BB and was shocked at how bad they sounded for the money. My $100 Westone UM-1 IEMs sound WAY better.

I'd venture to guess my $20 JVC Marshmallows are better based on what I hear. I've heard good things about the Westone....are they comfortable? Comfort is my biggest complaint with my Shure's.

What would be a good pair of headphones to hook up to my bass amp for quiet practice?

I listened to the Beats pro at my Best Buy and also did not care for them.

Then, there in the same Best Buy, I tried "Sony's HD Over-the-Ear Headphones" they list for $149.00
I have never cared for Sony audio products but these were actually pretty good! Definitely better than the Beats pro that I just heard 2 mins earlier. I was surprised with them.

I still love the MDR7506 from Sony. They have become a studio standard and as such are still in production after a decade. At about $100 they are a steal.

Even though I've yet to meet up with them in Nashville, after reading this thread I'm afraid I've developed a case of buyer's remorse, sight unseen, for those Denon AH-D5000s. It's obvious I should have chosen Da Beats instead - and would have still had $140 or so left over.

Dang you Flint!

From my...limited exposure to full size headphones and IEMs, I've found that many have "phat bass" and splashy highs(however inaccurate) but much less have a convincing midrange that "pops" with brilliant realism and detail. A midrange black hole.

Without even listening to them, I unfairly to the brand, totally blew off these phones when I saw them the first time at BB. Monster...not good. Dr Dre...he makes cool beats with bass heavy music, so I'm not surprised that the phones reflect that. It's the price that blows me away. Buy some AKG's. Marketing makes the difference. Is it any surprise that MONSTER is selling hopped up phones with a big celebrity endorsement?

BTW, I have the AKG240 MkII's, I don't see them on your list. What's the difference between the models.

-B- said:
Haywood said:

I'd venture to guess my $20 JVC Marshmallows are better based on what I hear. I've heard good things about the Westone....are they comfortable? Comfort is my biggest complaint with my Shure's.

The Westones are very comfortable and very well constructed. They do not offer a ton of detail, but have a nicely balanced sound. I bought them for working out and for travel and I didn't want to spent a fortune on anything high end. I've been quite satisfied with them for the money.

GreatDane said:
From my...limited exposure to full size headphones and IEMs, I've found that many have "phat bass" and splashy highs(however inaccurate) but much less have a convincing midrange that "pops" with brilliant realism and detail. A midrange black hole.

Yeah, I'm thinking you'd be the least qualified to address anything headphone / IEM. After all, you've only been at it for 10+ years, and own between one and two...gazillion evil items.

Rope

So, dig this...

The kid with the Dr. Drew Beats Pro headphones was listening to the mix I was working on and proclaimed he couldn't hear his acoustic guitar. The other guys said they could hear it just fine. He got frustrated, so I handed him the AUG O240 DF headphones to listen again. His first response was joyous, "there it is! Sounds great!" Then he made the connection between not hearing his playing and using his amazing headphones. Then he asked me to listenplay the chorus in loop mode and tried out every set of headphones in the room.

During a break, his parents picked him up and 30 mins later he returned with thea pair of AKG K701 headphones. When I handedasked about them he told me his parentsparents took him to Guitar Center where he exchanged the Beats for the AKGs.

Well, hopefully he sxchanged them, I was gettin ready to pull my hair out and scream by how spoiled this kid sounds.

Mommie I found better headphones than my super uber excellent $400 headphones that are only 2 weeks old and I must have them now. LOL

My understanding is that he exchanged them and his parents kept the difference in price.

GreatDane said:
You guys should really proofread your posts.

I just figured out what you were talking about. :laughing-rolling: I never claimed to be real bright.

Back