• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Behind the sofa subwoofer.

Maximo

So we are in our new home (but it isn't ours yet so no threads on that until we close).

BUT, we did move in (long story). And in setting up the downstairs living room it has come to my attention that the best place for the sub is behind the couch. Has anyone ever tried or is willing to help me design a triangular sub enclosure that can lay behind the couch?

Just wanted to get some ideas. Once I close and get unpacked I will post come pics of what I am talking about and see what can be done. Just wanted to get the ball rooling.

Lightbulb!!!!

Surfing the net I immediately came up with the idea of a tube SVS sub laying on its side. Tell me why that won't work?

When you say behind the couch, is the couch in the middle of the room or up against a wall? Why a triangle? Do you have a specific subwoofer in mind to use in the enclosure? Do you want to use a plate amp built into the enclosure?

It will be a couple of inches from the back wall. Only place forthe couch. and the couch has two recliners in it so I was thnking of a triangular design would accomodate a larger woofer. But if I could buy or build a tube sub, I think that would be idea. I will post some pics tonight. Actually if I can get on photobucket I can do it now. But I am at work so that is a 50/50 chance.

Alternatively I could go with something like this next to my mains. Just really didn't want to drop that kind of cash...

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/seale ... l-sb12-nsd

Sounds like fun! A triangle enclosure sould be relatively easy to build and very solid if you brace it well internally. I'll leave the design to the experts (Wardsweb, Flint, etc).

Why lay a cylinder on it's side? Why not stand it up?

For that matter, why not a traditiona box sub back there? Wat are the dimensions?

Not enough room behind or beside the couch. Very tight layout.

Ok, can't log onto photo bucket from here. Have to do it tonight.

Building a sonotube sub could be really fun!

Flint said:
Infinite Baffle Sub to the rescue!!!!!

I could do this in the crawlspace or in the stairwell cavity but I am afraid that would turn the whole house into a subwoofer that would be classified as "public discord"

If you go tube, check out your local building supply store for concrete forms. Just cut it to length, make some end plugs out of MDF and cover with carpet. It is very easy.

If you go with a box, let me know the dimensions you want to stay within and I can get you exact numbers using speaker building software I have; square, rectangle, trapezoid will all work. You will have to determine what subwoofer you want from places like Parts Express to get the parameters needed to calculate the box dimensions.

Maximo said:
Flint said:
Infinite Baffle Sub to the rescue!!!!!

I could do this in the crawlspace or in the stairwell cavity but I am afraid that would turn the whole house into a subwoofer that would be classified as "public discord"

Not if you insulate the shit out of it. If I could use the space in the stairwell cavity, I'd be all over it. I need it more for storage though than airspace (that, and my bar is in the way).

Well, for the time being I may just lay this behind my sofa and if things ever get that serious, I'll cut into the stairwell.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/subwoo ... ew-york-ny

Just not real interested in cutting up a house that was just built last week. Yet...

Plus, I have a buddy who is local so he can pick up the sub for $175. Yes it is 11 years old, BUT it should be just fine at that price.

This is my "secondary" system. Real boom boom room is upstairs. This is just my football watchin system.

I think you are going to be better than "fine" with that tube sub.

A car stereo shop or Crutchfield would have a few perfectly-shaped wedge-shaped subs, although I couldn't vouch for their quality.
The thing about laying a tube sub on its side is, its not designed to work that way; the acoustic coupling between the floor and the speaker will be different. (lay one of your tower speakers on its side and notice how differently it sounds!). Maybe the low frequencies a sub puts out aren't as critical, but we've all tweaked our subs' distance to the wall, and to the corner. Just some random thoughts I had... :twocents-mytwocents:

Another opportunity for excellence ruined with a dismissive, "good enough."

Sorry, but I value the asthetics of my living room over no holds barred audio quality. For $175 I can get rumble in my pants but this time, no chlamydia.

And as far as laying the tube sub on its side. let me have it. I have no expecations about what that thing can or can't do. As far as acoustic coupling, I am cool with that because that means more shake shake with my boom boom.

And if it doesn't work out I can sell it or send it upstairs.

If that's all you want, why not just attach a couple of butt-shakers to the bottom of the couch?

Maximo said:
For $175 I can get rumble in my pants...

You can do that for 79 cents! :happy-smileygiantred:

the-bomb-healthy-burritos-beef-burrito-and-bean-burrito-frozen-food.jpg

Back