• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Behind the sofa subwoofer.

Maximo said:
Sorry, but I value the asthetics of my living room over no holds barred audio quality. For $175 I can get rumble in my pants but this time, no chlamydia.

And as far as laying the tube sub on its side. let me have it. I have no expecations about what that thing can or can't do. As far as acoustic coupling, I am cool with that because that means more shake shake with my boom boom.

And if it doesn't work out I can sell it or send it upstairs.

No. Your wife values the aesthetics of her living room.

Rope

Actually no. I think it would look like shit any other way. There is just no room in the living room for a "good sub".

If someone can actually give me a good reason why a tube sub laying behind the sofa is a bad thing, then I'll listen.

Botch said:
Maximo said:
For $175 I can get rumble in my pants...

You can do that for 79 cents! :happy-smileygiantred:

the-bomb-healthy-burritos-beef-burrito-and-bean-burrito-frozen-food.jpg

OMG if only you knew how many those gut bombs I've nuked at a convenience store grabbed a bag of Frito chilli flavored and a coke then pedal to the metal to the next job location. If my truck had run on natural gas id never of needed a fill-up.

Maximo said:
Actually no. I think it would look like shit any other way. There is just no room in the living room for a "good sub".

If someone can actually give me a good reason why a tube sub laying behind the sofa is a bad thing, then I'll listen.
Actually it seems it makes no real difference. From a Discussion on Audioholics in 2011

http://forums.audioholics.com/forum...mouth-go-ahead-lay-your-svs-sub-its-side.html

Seems the guy contacted SVS about laying a cylinder on its side and got this answer:

"No problem laying the PC or PB subs On their sides. Some PC owners have even fashioned a little cradle, kind of like a wine rack to keep it from rolling."

I actually had that. Not bad actually. What really does it for me is guajillo chili sauce. That crap kills me the next day.

Ward, you are right and I recognize that. I don't have beautiful gear like your that I would rather look at than listen to.

I just want a good sounding system without having to look for it. Back in the day, I woud have fell for the whole bose thing.

I was just looking for some helpful feedback on this idea. Building a sub would be ideal. (Sorry I forgto about the pictures because we had another setback (potentially) on our house last night.)

But right now I can't do that. Looking forward to that tube sub. Which I will haveto wait months for because my buddy is picking it up and he won't be visiting from New York for a while. But I can get the rest of the system read until then.

Right.... the best way to completely hide a subwoofer is to put in an Infinite Baffle sub and cover the woofer baffle with a vent grate to make it look like a high class register return. It doesn't take up one ince of floor space and it will vastly outperform any other woofer you could ever fit into the room. My subs are completely invisible to guests in my HT unless I go out of my way to point them out to people. But, when a recording has significant bass below 25Hz, they KNOW something is really shaking things up.

mzpro5 said:
Maximo said:

Actually it seems it makes no real difference. From a Discussion on Audioholics in 2011

http://forums.audioholics.com/forum...mouth-go-ahead-lay-your-svs-sub-its-side.html

Seems the guy contacted SVS about laying a cylinder on its side and got this answer:

"No problem Laying the PC or PBS subs On their sides. Some PC owners have even fashioned a little cradle, kind of like a wine rack to keep it from rolling."

NICE! Good research pro! I figured as much. BUt it is REALLY nice to hear it from the horses mouth. So to speak. As far as I see it, it is no different than having a front firing sub. Just figured this would be neat way to hide a huge sub in plain veiw.

Flint said:
Right.... the best way to completely hide a subwoofer is to put in an Infinite Baffle sub and cover the woofer baffle with a vent grate to make it look like a high class register return. It doesn't take up one ince of floor space and it will vastly outperform any other woofer you could ever fit into the room. My subs are completely invisible to guests in my HT unless I go out of my way to point them out to people. But, when a recording has significant bass below 25Hz, they KNOW something is really shaking things up.

I totally agree. But that is getting SERIOUS with a house that technically I don't even own yet and am not even supposed to be living there. (Still a long story). And, on top of that, the stairwell is in a good location for that to happen. Just need to wait.

People are always afraid of IB Subs, until they get one and experience what they've always missed.

I understand you may not be able to put one in, but I will always champion their use.

Maximo said:
mzpro5 said:
Maximo said:

"No problem Laying the PC or PBS subs On their sides. Some PC owners have even fashioned a little cradle, kind of like a wine rack to keep it from rolling."

NICE! Good research pro! I figured as much. BUt it is REALLY nice to hear it from the horses mouth. So to speak. As far as I see it, it is no different than having a front firing sub. Just figured this would be neat way to hide a huge sub in plain veiw.

No problem Max and no great research abilities - just making use of Google. Only took a couple minutes when you type in "cylinder subwoofer on its side", tons of info.

Boy I hope Tom V reads this thread. Because my next question is, which end goes in the corner the bottom or the top? This thing was definitely one of his babies.

Well, the sub sold. Apparently the guy has someone coming to get it this weekend but will let me know if it falls through.

Still want a tube sub though. I will not be deterred.

Both Dayton and Peerless have a low depth 10 inch sub option.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=295-134

If you use a triangle you would be better to use a trapazoid to get around the base moldings along the floor. Using unequal size 4 walls will change the standing waves of the active walls just like the room walls. You can use some blue tac on the top against the wall to help mount and hold in place along with spikes on the floor or into the carpet.

using 4 of these will be like having one 15 inch possibly.

If you use the tube you can fire one sub on each end. by making two of them one above and one below you can get 4 total. I failed to look at the size of the room. My single 10 is able to generate 110 db in a room 15 x 12 x 8. My wife and Mother feel this is loud enough so I will not push for a better at this time.

I had considered that. Actually been mulling the IB subidea. I have three I deal wall spaces that this would work. Two are in a corner. I really need to post some pics but last time I checked photo bucket they were down for maintenance andI don't have time right now.

I still realy like the idea of laying a tube sub behind the couch because it requires less effort, which I am all for. And I can still tuen it to the room a little bit by pushing it closer/farther from the corner or flipping it over so the port is in the corner and not the sub.

However, we may end up moving the couch that will accomodate the SVS up stairs to the bonus room and getting a new sectional downstairs.

As an overall update, I have been travelling for hte last couple oif weeks and have not had time to do much. I finally got the the tv, blueray, and media extender working downstairs with the remote extender and right now I am running a 3.0 channel paradigm system downstairs.

Up stairs I have the HTPC up and running with a 32" tv, onkyo 702, the leftover paradigm cc-290 and the towers from the energy set I bought. Also have the infiinity 12" IL120 sub going along with the wii.

Kids are sitting on tailgate chairs, hence the need for another couch.

Still not sure as to when everything will come together work has been crazy. But all I can say is everyday a little more gets done. At least I got to sleep infornt of a football game yesterday.

Back to the sib situation. If we get a new couch then it will definitely be either an IB or small stereo subs. The SVS offering would be almost perfect except for the $1200 price tag. I am thinking about a pair of small velodynes or def techs.

On the subject of speaker in the corner or the tuned port in the corner.

I feel the general rule would be the speaker in the corner. That is because all the frequencies would be handled equally. The port in the corner would be only accenting the port tuned frequency and cause a huge lump in your room sound at the tuned frequency of the port.

I am a complete ingnoramous when it comes to stuff like that. Which is why I ask guys like you.

Ok, I have another thought. A behringer A500 is rated at 500 watts bridged into 8 ohms.

Would anyone see why it would not work well as a subwoofer amp?

I am thinking about one 15" sub cut into the wall in the corner (pics tonight I swear). Or two 8" subs in the front wall behind the two main speakers. My thought o the pros for the 15" in the corner is output. The thought on the pros for the two 8" subs behind the mains is tightness and local acuracy for music?

Does any of this make sense?

Thinking about this for the inwall corner sub which would IB into our master closet, which opens to the master bathroom (both of which are really big).

If I go with 2 8" woofer I was thinking about one of these.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/3313933968.html
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RBH-MCS-88-In-W ... 1067914%26

Maybe something like this in stereo?
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=264-895

Back