• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Blown tweeter! Need help!

walls

Pretty sure that the tweeter in one of my PSB 5T's is blown, it still produces sound but is not nearly as "up front" as the other speaker and seems to have lost its "edge" for a lack of a better word. LOL.

Anywyays, I have contacted PSB and they said that the parts are no longer available and I have googled and searched to no avail for even a parts number.

Any ideas?? I have never taken apart a speaker but I am pretty confident that replacing these would be as simple as a few screws and a couple plugs but I have no part number....

Have you removed the tweeter to see if a part number is printed on it?

What about the crossover? It may be possible that components in the crossover network have failed.

Swapping tweeters between speakers should identify that.

Good luck.

Swapped the tweeter, its blown. There are two stickers on the back and I have found a pair for sale with the same numbers on the bottom but different on the top sticker. They are from a pair of IMAGE 2B's which according to the specs on the IMAGE line should be the same as PSB states that the tweeters are the same through the entire line.
This link shows the specs,

http://www.interconnect-nordic.com/page11.html

SOOOO....... do you think the tweeters from the 2B's will work in my 5T's?

I fuckin hope so, hate to have to replace my system because of one friggin tweeter. :handgestures-thumbdown:

I wonder if it's possible the different numbers are serial #s...

I imagine it would work... if the replacement tweeters are not too expensive, you can get them and make sure they look physically the same, see if the model matches - maybe ask PSB about their labeling. If that's the only alternative, I don't think you can make it worse by installing a replacement tweeter; I would think unless the tweeter is just a vastly different design, the worst that would happen is that it wouldn't sound right with the replacement. I don't think you could otherwise hurt the speaker that way. Maybe just gotta try it and see...?

Ordered the replacements, they are physically EXACTLY the same right down to the plate and screw pattern. PSB has been absolutely zero help with this, they said that they no longer carry the tweeter and thats all I got out of them. Bullshit, sweriously makes me think twice about buying from them again. Sure my speakers are six years old but I paid over 3 grand for the set of speakers and all I need is a fucking answer on a part number.

Well now I feel like an ass......... PSB (America) just called me on my cell and they are shipping out a replacement for me. :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

Klipsch was amazing when I recently had to replace a blown tweeter. I am glad PSB came thru for you.

cartoon_tweety-5194.gif

This should tide you over until you receive your new tweeter.

Rope

walls said:
Ordered the replacements, they are physically EXACTLY the same right down to the plate and screw pattern. PSB has been absolutely zero help with this, they said that they no longer carry the tweeter and thats all I got out of them. Bullshit, sweriously makes me think twice about buying from them again. Sure my speakers are six years old but I paid over 3 grand for the set of speakers and all I need is a fucking answer on a part number.

They probably read this post! (I hope so!)

I'm glad they are (finally) taking care of you!

Dennie

Got the new tweeter in........ now I have to contact PSB and see if I can get six more LOL. The new tweeter is without a doubt more "forward" then any of the others, so much so that it makes me want to change them all.....or in the very least the front three.

Does it ever end for us. :angry-banghead:

Aw man, that's both good and bad news... And no, it never ends, just lies dormant at times. :laughing:

It might also be a good idea to replace both left and right to give them the same sound signature.
What might have taken out the one may have slightly altered the other.

walls said:
Got the new tweeter in........ now I have to contact PSB and see if I can get six more LOL. The new tweeter is without a doubt more "forward" then any of the others, so much so that it makes me want to change them all.....or in the very least the front three.

Does it ever end for us. :angry-banghead:

I recommend measuring the relative frequency response of your speakers with the new tweeter then measuring it again with the old (working) tweeter and compare the two. If the different in relative output in the tweeter's range is more than 1dB, I can easily help you design and install a simple L-Pad circuit to reduce the output of the tweeter to match the old tweeter. An L-Pad will not affect the crossover settings.

If you don't already have a measurement rig, you can use a free RTA for your smartphone or the free version of TrueRTA and any mic to measure the difference between the old tweeter and the new tweeter. You don't need a perfectly accurate scientifically supported frequency response chart. What you need is to know how loud the tweeters are in the 5kHz to 15kHz range relative to the output below 1kHz. Any basic free RTA tool can show that relative difference pretty easily.

Back