• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Blu Ray Calibration

Snake Doctor

I need to calibrate my Plasma; my wife told me the color of a hotel TV was better than mine. :angry-tappingfoot:

Any recommendations for a calibration disc?

the best one i got right now is the WOW disney disc. i prefer it compared to others,

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-World-Wonder-Blu-ray/dp/B0045ASBLG

better yet, get the spears and munsil disc, this ones awesome and comes with a oppo bdp-93!

http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-BDP-93-Universal-Network-Blu-ray/dp/B004BLK24S/ref=pd_cp_mov_3

kidding aside, heres the disc by itself.

http://www.amazon.com/Spears-High-D...-Edition/dp/B001UM29OC/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_text_b

i just liked the disney one this time, and well, it was on sale back then. :happy-smileygiantred:

Snake Doctor said:
...my wife told me the color of a hotel TV was better than mine.
OUCH!

Either of Jomari's recommendations will work, as will DVE. I'd vote for Disney's WOW first. Both are available in either DVD or BD format. I don't think Spears & Munsil is available in anything but BD.

crud, forgot about dve, but of course my versions on HD_DVD, so its officially 'outdated'. :happy-smileygiantred:

anyways, one thing i DID like with the DVE is that its great with tint calibration, because of their propreitary PLUGE version they use.

i DO love the Disney WOW's contrast and brightness test.

Lastly, the WOW disc has two 'versions' to calibrate - easy and advanced.

that alone i think is well worth the price. :handgestures-thumbup:

and yes, that hotel tv comment was uncalled for.

more importantly, how does it sound tho. :handgestures-thumbup:

jomari said:
:naughty:

It has three - Beginner, Advanced and Expert.

If you were in a hotel with your wife why were you watching the TV?

If she was in a hotel without you . . . well.

Zing said:
jomari said:
:naughty:

It has three - Beginner, Advanced and Expert.

was there? unless that expert mode was intentionally greyed out because it KNOWS damn well i cant do sh*t with it...

"f*cking 120hz is on smooth? f*ck that we got a noob playing this!"

mzpro5 said:
If you were in a hotel with your wife why were you watching the TV?

If she was in a hotel without you . . . well.

I was in a hotel with my wife.

Did you read it as being with my girl friend?

Come on man!!! :teasing-neener:

Rope said:
I'm guessing the hotel TV was LCD and really, really bright?

Rope

Oh, yes. LCD and very very bright. Cranked to the peak.

However, try explaining that to someone that is watching a very bright, very colorful picture.

But, in all honesty my picture does need to be tweeked.

jomari said:
the best one i got right now is the WOW disney disc. i prefer it compared to others,

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-World-Wonder-Blu-ray/dp/B0045ASBLG

better yet, get the spears and munsil disc, this ones awesome and comes with a oppo bdp-93!

http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-BDP-93-Universal-Network-Blu-ray/dp/B004BLK24S/ref=pd_cp_mov_3

kidding aside, heres the disc by itself.

http://www.amazon.com/Spears-High-D...-Edition/dp/B001UM29OC/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_text_b

i just liked the disney one this time, and well, it was on sale back then. :happy-smileygiantred:

Just so that I am clear....

Between Spears & Munsil and Disney; everyone thinks that the Disney disc is the better of the two?

i like the simplicity of it.

it can be used to do a quick simple calibration, or spend hours and tons of fun calibrating your set via not only one but TWO expert modes!

on a serious note, i cant comment on spears and munsil. i guess i felt like that since i already have a DVE calibration disc, its a bit serious as it is to use already.

OH! i forgot to mention! AVSforum also has their own version, and its FREE.

i havent tried it, nor care to because im happy with my disney disc.

albeit the fact i should support my local oppo digital business.

ah whatdaheck, theres a whole bunch of people who buy their blu-ray players so no need!

I remember Sound and Vision doing a test on calibration discs...

They ended up recommending the Disney disc as well, along with the S&M. I think over all they preferred the Disney though.

You can also go to CNET & AVS forums, find your monitor. They have ISF guys that calibrate them & post their settings. Then when you get your WOW disc....try it.

Barney said:
You can also go to CNET & AVS forums, find your monitor. They have ISF guys that calibrate them & post their settings. Then when you get your WOW disc....try it.

It took some research but I found the calibration settings and changed them on my monitor. Now I am going to find the best price on the Disney WOW and order it.

Thank you to all for your input.

most of the times you'd get three kinds of calibrations tho,

1. expertly done ones, isf calibration dig deep into the bowels of the tv kind
2. personally done ones, almost perfectly done ones with mods here and there.
3. 'my settings are the best' looking at it with backlight settings up to 8 or 10.

check out the different settings, i normally see if the contrast levels are too high, any hdmi black levels settings are on, and/or the 120hz settings on, then its a giveaway its er... a 'preferred' look.

most of the #2 guys also would end up suggesting other peoples as an alternative, which is cool on their end. :handgestures-thumbup:

best of luck buddy.

jomari said:
most of the times you'd get three kinds of calibrations tho,

1. expertly done ones, isf calibration dig deep into the bowels of the tv kind
2. personally done ones, almost perfectly done ones with mods here and there.
3. 'my settings are the best' looking at it with backlight settings up to 8 or 10.

check out the different settings, i normally see if the contrast levels are too high, any hdmi black levels settings are on, and/or the 120hz settings on, then its a giveaway its er... a 'preferred' look.

most of the #2 guys also would end up suggesting other peoples as an alternative, which is cool on their end. :handgestures-thumbup:

best of luck buddy.

As I told you guys I found the calibration settings and changed them on my monitor. The one setting that really bothers me is "picture" which I believe is contrast; it was set at 100%.

The Wow Disney disc arrived and I was very surprised at how close the settings were - I think I changed sharpness from 0 to a +8. But I retained the "100% picture."

So does that mean that from this point forward the picture will start getting dimmer over time and there will nothing I can do about it?

Any suggestions?

er... contrast is set at 100?

thats definitely a bit too high. if ever, can you write down the model number for me snake?

another thing is, try to play around with
1. backlight first, set at a desirable setting - economical or preferred picture quality are two parts to consider.

2. work with your brightness first, and then

3. contrast.

sometimes the brightness levels can help or improve your contrast levels, based on the backlight settings you might have.

also consider checking your
1. hdmi black levels on both your source and your display. some of them default to low which means lower blacks, but crushing them at the same time.

2. dynamic contrast might also be set to high or auto. check and set to off.

3. are there any 'light econo settings' on it? some sets like mine change the brightness of the backlight based on your ambient lighting. this might be one problem too.

hope this helps.

Zing said:
Joms, Snake has a plasma TV. There is no backlighting.

ooh.

Then thats it for me. dont know jack about plasma. :happy-smileygiantred:

Best of luck then Snake!

Back