• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Blu Ray Calibration

Samsung (and maybe others) have a setting called "cell light" which effects the total pixel brightness. Adjusting it changes the gamma curve. My understanding is that any deviation from max (10) will move the setting away from the 2.2 ideal. Anywho... I've spent too much time trying to convince customers that the "cell light" on their plasma is not a backlight and they should leave it at max.

Towen7 said:
Samsung (and maybe others) have a setting called "cell light" which effects the total pixel brightness. Adjusting it changes the gamma curve. My understanding is that any deviation from max (10) will move the setting away from the 2.2 ideal. Anywho... I've spent too much time trying to convince customers that the "cell light" on their plasma is not a backlight and they should leave it at max.

Cell Light??

Where would I find that setting? Is it under the regular menu adjustments? Is it known by any other name?

On my Samsung sets it under the advanced picture settings. It only effects gamma and if you haven't changed it you probably don't need to.

Have you tried a calibration disc yet? I bet that Rope was right and that the TVs in the hotel were set to be too bright and probably over saturated. Most people find a properly calibrated display to be a little dark. It takes a little getting used to.

Towen7 said:
On my Samsung sets it under the advanced picture settings. It only effects gamma and if you haven't changed it you probably don't need to.

Have you tried a calibration disc yet? I bet that Rope was right and that the TVs in the hotel were set to be too bright and probably over saturated. Most people find a properly calibrated display to be a little dark. It takes a little getting used to.

Yes, I bought the WoW Disney calibration disc. It was recommend by some of the guys and I was very pleasantly surprised at how good the disc is. The calibration disc showed the better picture was at 100% as well. Up to that point I wasn't concerned since I thought the disc would show a much lower adjustment. I will look to see if I can find the setting, I haven't changed it but it will not hurt anything to double check.

Thanks,

jomari said:
Zing said:
Joms, Snake has a plasma TV. There is no backlighting.

ooh.

Then thats it for me. dont know jack about plasma. :happy-smileygiantred:

Best of luck then Snake!

Joms, I do appreciate the time you took to help me.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Back