• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Blu-Ray wifi set up

Deerhunter

I am a bit on the lost side here. I mentioned I am going to get a blu-ray in the near future so I can use it to stream Netflix plus then I can take more advantage of my plasma TV.

He then started telling me about b/g/n for connection speed for a wireless router. Since I want it wireless. And i need a router that's b/g/n and the n is the fastest. In short its all Greek to me.

This is also a person who thinks Pioneer makes some of the best sounding speakers ever made. So I am not sure what to think of his advise for HT.

The salesman was referencing the speed of the wireless connection between the router and the player. There are 3 specs, each newer and faster than the previous. N is the newest/fastest spec. The max speeds are all thoretical because factors like distance and obstructions can affect the connection rate. Each spec is backward compatible so if you buy a device that is capable of N speeds it will work just fine with an N, G, or B router.

That said streaming HD video requires a lot of bandwidth so a G spec router may be needed.

Towen7 said:
The salesman was referencing the speed of the wireless connection between the router and the player. There are 3 specs, each newer and faster than the previous. N is the newest/fastest spec. The max speeds are all thoretical because factors like distance and obstructions can affect the connection rate. Each spec is backward compatible so if you buy a device that is capable of N speeds it will work just fine with an N, G, or B router.

That said streaming HD video requires a lot of bandwidth so a G spec router may be needed.

I'm using a Cisco Valet router and have no problems streaming what is labeled as "HD content". Of course it is all what you define as "HD".

These days I would say just get an N router; as T7 says, it'll work with B/G as well, but will be set for other new N devices you may get in the future.

If you have real connection problems even with G (though I'm guessing you'll be ok), you can get an N bridge (assuming you get the N router), and use a wire from the bridge to the player. This is how I have my home office set up, because the G connection to my laptop and the squeezebox is not too reliable from the opposite end of my house; the N bridge works much better.

I employ a Linksys E2000 N series dual band router. I'm running, ROKU, Squeezebox Touch, Acer Iconia Tab, and a Laptop WiFi. Never had any issue with reception/speed, even on the third level of my home.

Rope

Cool it still all sounds like Greek to me but at lest I will know what I am looking for.

BTW how do I know what Blu-ray player is? I not seen that spec on any unless I am looking at the wrong things.

Deerhunter said:
Cool it still all sounds like Greek to me but at lest I will know what I am looking for.

BTW how do I know what Blu-ray player is? I not seen that spec on any unless I am looking at the wrong things.

If the BD player is of late, there's no question, it will be "N" series compatable.

Rope

and it really doesn't matter...

If your router is N and the player is G... it will work at G speed.
If your router is G and the player is N... it will work at G speed.
If your router is N and the player is N... it will work at N speed.

Assuming you have decent signal strength at the player location, and don't have bunch of other wireless devices connected to your network, there should be no significant difference between N and G speed.

Most of the players I've seen are G... are there really N ones out there? Well, as T7 says, just get an N router and you're safe in any case.

Back