• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Breaking Bad

Towen7 said:
HA!

Me too. I just watched episode 13. I'm less worried about my cap than burning out on the show. I think I'll take a break for few days. I'll be binging on football until after Monday night anyway.

Towen,
Not sure if it is possible to burn out on the show. It just keeps getting better. It really sucks that this is the last season.

Finally finished watching Breaking Bad. Fantastic!! That final scene with Badfinger's "Baby Blue" playing was brilliant!!! Damn, I'm gonna miss this show!!

Srvy said:
Is the final season streaming on Netflix yet?

Just the first 8 episodes of the final season (at least here in Canada). AMC had a marathon on of all of season 5 back to back. I managed to get them all on the DVR( after adding an external hard drive). I bought the first 4 seasons on bluray otherwise I would have gone over my cap limit using Netflix. When the COMPLETE 5th season comes out I will buy it.

mcad64 said:
Finally finished watching Breaking Bad. Fantastic!! That final scene with Badfinger's "Baby Blue" playing was brilliant!!! Damn, I'm gonna miss this show!!

Wasn't it great, though? The only serial drama show I've seen with an ending nearly as good was The Shield. Things just ended properly. While I'll miss the show it was a satisfying conclusion.

Yup... IMHO the series went on just long enough. Much longer and Walter mould have jumped the proverbial shark.

Towen7 said:
Yup... IMHO the series went on just long enough. Much longer and Walter mould have jumped the proverbial shark.

Exactly. There just weren't any other places to take it, and going to what few options there might have been would have resulted in things just overstaying their welcome.

There's not too many TV shows that really need to stretch out an arc over more than 5-8 seasons. It just gets old. Breaking Bad had something of a shorter lifespan (mostly because the character did, but also because that kind of thing just is going to come to a head sooner rather than later), but more than 8 seasons just draws things out too much- too much cast turnover, too much history to haul around, too few new things to do that aren't gimmicky.

Akula said:
Towen7 said:

Exactly. There just weren't any other places to take it, and going to what few options there might have been would have resulted in things just overstaying their welcome.

There's not too many TV shows that really need to stretch out an arc over more than 5-8 seasons. It just gets old. Breaking Bad had something of a shorter lifespan (mostly because the character did, but also because that kind of thing just is going to come to a head sooner rather than later), but more than 8 seasons just draws things out too much- too much cast turnover, too much history to haul around, too few new things to do that aren't gimmicky.

I totally agree that shows these days need to wrap up sooner. Mad Men is a perfect example of a great show that has overstayed its welcome. While each season has had some great episodes, the last 2 or 3 seasons have been far less entertaining than the first 2-3. The Walking Dead is one that I love but I fear that they will drag out way too far. I know it started as a comic series but the show may need a more direct path to the end.

Bump.....after starting Season 1 multiple times only to find time to get maybe 3-4 episodes in, I finally finished the entire series over the last month and a half. Fantastic show and agree with the others that it ended at the right time. I actually liked the Gus character but the way he went out was awesome. Right up there with the Prince Oberyn death on GoT as far as shock value.

Bump.....after starting Season 1 multiple times only to find time to get maybe 3-4 episodes in, I finally finished the entire series over the last month and a half. Fantastic show and agree with the others that it ended at the right time. I actually liked the Gus character but the way he went out was awesome. Right up there with the Prince Oberyn death on GoT as far as shock value.

It's a great, if not the best, example I've yet seen on "how to end a show RIGHT." They didn't beat it to death, they finished the narrative and drew things to a close.

Back