• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Burn in on Panasonic plasma

mzpro5 said:
Mannix2106 said:
Just curious. I know I've read plasma TVs typically have buzzing noises. I'm not sure how much of an issue this should be with the new sets, such as mine. But my TV has a constant buzzing noise that I can easily hear over my audio even when listening at higher than normal audio levels. Is this normal? If not should I call Panasonic and see what they can do?

Have you considered it to be a ground loop problem?

No I have not. How can I determine if it is that? Would it be a ground loop problem if it started recently while nothing else has changed?

Mannix2106 said:
mzpro5 said:
Mannix2106 said:
Just curious. I know I've read plasma TVs typically have buzzing noises. I'm not sure how much of an issue this should be with the new sets, such as mine. But my TV has a constant buzzing noise that I can easily hear over my audio even when listening at higher than normal audio levels. Is this normal? If not should I call Panasonic and see what they can do?

Have you considered it to be a ground loop problem?

No I have not. How can I determine if it is that? Would it be a ground loop problem if it started recently while nothing else has changed?

It could. And it is most likely related to your cable/satellite connection. Just moving the cable with the connection may vary the loudness of the buzz. Perhaps in cleaning or vacuuming the cable was moved.

Well what would it mean if the buzzing goes away when the screen is completely black? As in when I'm watching a show, it then goes black, then to commercial the noise isn't there.

Mannix2106 said:
Well what would it mean if the buzzing goes away when the screen is completely black? As in when I'm watching a show, it then goes black, then to commercial the noise isn't there.

I would say definitely a tie in with the TV connection/signal.

Since the panel was installed (i.e., when there was no buzzing) have you changed anything, as in made new connections with other gear or moved things around?

Rope

I haven't added anything or changed any wires since I put the TV up.

I think I should clarify. The TV does buzz even with other signals. When I change the inputs and the screen goes black and the only thing up is the menu I can still hear the buzzing. If I'm playing Xbox it still makes the noise and when I'm watching a bluray it still buzzes. The buzzing is more noticeable when the screen has a brighter screen. Like when I'm watching a show and it has a day scene on the TV (brighter picture) and then it changes to a dark scene the buzzing isn't as noticeable.

Mannix2106 said:
Just curious. I know I've read plasma TVs typically have buzzing noises.

I have 2 Panasonic plasmas and neither one buzzes at all, so I wouldn't say it's a "typical" plasma problem. Based upon what I've read, buzzing is more likely to occur with Samsung models.

I'd call and complain to Panasonic, why wait it out until it's out of warranty, find out if this normal, although it certainly doesn't sound normal...

My Panny plasma is from 2006 and not a buzz on mine........get with them and negotiate a resolution!

Document the date and time that you call and whom you speak to. Keep a journal and notes, because if it drags on and you get to the Top Dog, the notes will be the thing that helps you win.

Good Luck!

Mannix2106 said:
I haven't added anything or changed any wires since I put the TV up.

I think I should clarify. The TV does buzz even with other signals. When I change the inputs and the screen goes black and the only thing up is the menu I can still hear the buzzing. If I'm playing Xbox it still makes the noise and when I'm watching a bluray it still buzzes. The buzzing is more noticeable when the screen has a brighter screen. Like when I'm watching a show and it has a day scene on the TV (brighter picture) and then it changes to a dark scene the buzzing isn't as noticeable.

Call Panasonic and execute the warranty. And like Heeman suggests, take notes with dates, and the person you spoke with. Then they'll be no finger pointing, or he said, she said.

I've owned two Panasonic plasmas, never a buzz, or problem of any sort.

Rope

I just contacted Panasonic. They are having a tech come out within the next 48-72 hours to "evaluate" my TV. I asked how they determine if the buzzing isn't normal and needs replacement but he didn't know.

It would be nice to get the display replaced so the buzzing goes away and the burn in/image retention isn't there anymore.

Set up an appointment for next week. The repair place said Panasonic has had an issue on other 50" plasmas (not the model I have) so they are just going to order the part and come out and replace it on my TV.

I wonder if I can get them to replace the display since of the burn in.

Well ever since I called and set up an appointment the TV hasn't been buzzing. Go figure. I'm sure if they guy doesn't replace the part he'll leave and the noise will start up again.

If there are other items (appliances, dimmer switch) on the same breaker, (circuit) you may be contracting electrical interference. If the buzzing starts again, try unplugging items that reside on the same breaker.

Rope

I don't recall anything changing in the house. Nothing got moved and nothing got switch electrically wise. When the tech shows up tomorrow I will ask him about it and the possibility of other things causing the noise.

From the answers I got he's going to take the back of the TV off and run tests on the part(s) he thinks are causing the issues.

Well the tech came out earlier this week and the issue wasn't present. He said he'd call Panasonic and see what they would do. I got a call yesterday saying he got a bunch of parts in from them. He just left my house after installing and fixing all the parts that could have caused the noise.

I'm very happy that Panasonic sent out the parts. I have to wait 4-5 hours to let the silicon dry then I'll fire it up. Overall, props to Panasonic for helping me out.

Thanks for the update. Panasonic, must be aware there is a problem, otherwise they would have never sent the parts or the technician.

I hope that your problems are over!

Mannix2106 said:
I have to wait 4-5 hours to let the silicon dry then I'll fire it up.

Let the silicone dry? What'd he do - use caulk to plug up the vent openings in the set so the buzzing sound wouldn't leak out? :teasing-neener:

Just kidding! Hope it works out for you. :handgestures-thumbup:

Wow, this is all scaring me. I'm in the market for a new TV and I was thinking of a Panasonic plasma. Nothing for sure but just thinking. Plasmas in general scare me a little with glare and burn in. Has anybody got any experience with Vizio as a brand? Have heard both ways. Anyway, good luck with your TV.

Don't be scared. You'd be much better off with a panny than a vizio....plasma manufacturers have pretty much eliminated the cause for concern with burn-in. I have no less than 5 Panasonic plasmas and 11 panasonics (ranging from 22" lcds to 65" 3d plasma) in total and haven't had any issues. All brands build their fair share of lemons...but while your shopping for plasmas, Samsung deserves a look as well.

Back