• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

By request: The Soundhound system

soundhound said:
Pauly & DIYer.... I took some new pictures of my room which pretty clearly show the supertweeters mounted on top of the Altec horns. Link below.
Thanks for the update s.h. I too have installed a supertweeter at the same location as yours. I use Beyma CP21/F which has similar spec as your JBL 2405H except the mounting holes are configured differently which I had to use a small wooden baffle to compensate. For those interested, I will start a thread in couple weeks with some images.

DIYer said:
Thanks for the update s.h. I too have installed a supertweeter at the same location as yours. I use Beyma CP21/F which has similar spec as your JBL 2405H except the mounting holes are configured differently which I had to use a small wooden baffle to compensate for it. For those interested, I will start a thread in couple weeks with some images.

I'd be interested in some more details, crossover frequency, graphs, pics etc.

DIYer said:
Zing said:
What about me? :sad-teareye:
Do you use active crossover? If not, you know what to do now. ;)

The fronts use active crossovers at 100Hz to the subwoofers, and 500Hz to the HF horns (these crossovers and amps are labeled in the picture of my amp closet). The crossover for the supertweeter is at 11kHz with a 2 pole passive crossover. You can see that crossover under the HF horn driver in the shots taken at the front of my room.

soundhound said:
I will post those when I start a thread. As for the crossover, it's passively high passed from Altec 802D (connected parallel) at 11KHz with 12db slope using cap and inductor. There is no passive x-over for 802D at this time (I have the parts for it and I am planning on trying it which is why I haven't started a thread). The current configuration picks up where 802D rolls off and gives a flat response to 20KHz.

DIYer said:
soundhound said:
I will post those when I start a thread. As for the crossover, it's passively high passed from Altec 802D (connected parallel) at 11KHz with 12db slope using cap and inductor. There is no passive x-over for 802D at this time (I have the parts for it and I am planning on trying it which is why I haven't started a thread). The current configuration picks up where 802D rolls off and gives a flat response to 20KHz.

In my crossover, I installed a switch which inserts a 15 ohm resistor before the crossover to the supertweeter. Without the 15 ohm resistor, the very high end is tipped up a couple dB, which can be a bit overbearing with recordings with a lot of treble, or vocals which have a lot of sibilance. On more neutral recordings like jazz and classical, I can set the switch to the other position which bypasses the 15 ohm resistor, and this gives a bit of "air" to the highs which is beneficial.

I forgot to mention one component, there is L-pad installed for super tweeter which allows me to adjust the output of upper end frequency. I haven't found a need to adjust it after the initial calibration. I still need more listening time to judge my speaker mod. More to come soon but the initial reaction I've gotten was, "Hmmmm, interesting". :think:

DIYer said:
I forgot to mention one component, there is L-pad installed for super tweeter which allows me to adjust the output of upper end frequency. I haven't found a need to adjust it after the initial calibration. I still need more listening time to judge my speaker mod. More to come soon but the initial reaction I've gotten was, "Hmmmm, interesting". :think:

You did it the official way using an L pad. That's the preferable way to go, but the 15 ohm resistor causes an essentially unmeasurable difference in response, so I just went with that. Having the switch also makes going from one setting to the other pretty easy and quick. I guess I could have used an L pad with a switch selecting the L pad output or the direct output, but the resistor route works OK at that high a frequency. :oops:

soundhound said:
Pauly & DIYer.... I took some new pictures of my room which pretty clearly show the supertweeters mounted on top of the Altec horns. Link below.

Cool, you mean those little alien eye-stalk looking things? Sweet. Now all you need is a laser light setup that responds to the music. And a fog machine. :teasing-neener:

PaulyT said:
Cool, you mean those little alien eye-stalk looking things? Sweet. Now all you need is a laser light setup that responds to the music. And a fog machine. :teasing-neener:

Uh...Yeah.... :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

soundhound said:
DIYer said:
Have you added couple of tube amps to your equipment list? I see Dynaco ST-70 and something else next to it.

It's not being used at the moment. In the space where the Ampex tape recorder was in those pictures, I now have a Canon 9500 MKII printer, and I moved the tape recorder next to the ST-70.

BTW Most of those pictures were taken with the Canon EF 15mm 2.8 fisheye lens, and run through a rectilinear converter plug-in in photoshop CS5 to remove most of the distortion. Photoshop CS5 also has a rectilinear converter but it adds distortion of its own on the edges of the frames. The photoshop converter works for some pictures, but the Imaging Trends converter works best in most instances, even though some things like the ceiling beams are still curved.

15mm 2.8 DROOL!!! What was that bad boy connected to?
I shoot with the Canon 40D right now, looking to get a 5D!

SH, I am curious why the addition of the supertweeters? Also I cannot seem to find the pics of the supertweets.

TitaniumTroy said:
SH, I am curious why the addition of the supertweeters? Also I cannot seem to find the pics of the supertweets.

None of the pictures are up right now. I am going to take a few more and upload them all this weekend, with details about the supertweeters.

The reason for the supertweeters is shown in the graph below (taken at the listening position). The top graph is with the supertweeters and the bottom one is without. The response at 20kHz is down 10dB without the supertweeters and only 5dB with the supertweeters. The audible difference is more than the graphs would suggest.

Response%20with%20supertweeters.jpg

Nufan said:
soundhound said:
15mm 2.8 DROOL!!! What was that bad boy connected to?
I shoot with the Canon 40D right now, looking to get a 5D!

The camera is a Canon 5D MKII. I have the Canon 15 mm 2.8 EF, Canon 24-70 mm 2.8 L, and the Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS. I also have a several studio monolights / softbox / grids / barndoors / shoot-through umbrellas, beauty dish, hot shoe strobes, stands, sand bags, background muslins, and other assorted stuff. I have the Canon Pixma 9500 Pro MK II printer, and like to experiment with using different types of art, baryta, and other types of papers.

The portraits in my link below were all taken with the 70-200, and most of the very wide angle shots in the Landscape album were taken with the 15 mm with rectilinear correction, either through the Photoshop CS5 lens correction filter, or through a 3rd party application called Fisheye-Hemi. Most of the portraits were retouched with Portrait Professional, with a couple done with Photoshop. I also have the Topaz noise reduction plug-in for Photoshop, and the Tiffen Dfx filter / effects application. The avitar macro of my phono cartridge was taken with the 24-70 with a 25 mm extension tube.

I haven't really gotten into the movie shooting capabilities of the 5D MK II yet as I've been so busy with stills. I have a shoot coming up though with dancers which I am going to do some movie shooting in addition to stills.

The DirtMerchant said:
Maybe I'm just blind and dumb (and risking the vaunted SoundHound piss on my speaker wire)
but I don't see any HT pics in here: http://soundhoundimageworkz.smugmug.com/
Only: Portraiture/Architectural/Landscape/Disneyland/Macro
and I don't see any HT pics in those folders...

That's cuz they ain't there. I took them down to make some new shots, and haven't gotten around to uploading the new ones. Benn kinda busy lately.

soundhound said:
The DirtMerchant said:
Maybe I'm just blind and dumb (and risking the vaunted SoundHound piss on my speaker wire)

That's cuz they ain't there. I took them down to make some new shots, and haven't gotten around to uploading the new ones. Benn kinda busy lately.

Makes sense. At least I'm not dumb and blind.

The DirtMerchant said:
soundhound said:
The DirtMerchant said:

Makes sense. At least I'm not dumb and blind.

:text-+1:

Back