• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

By request: The Soundhound system

With that lens your room looks ginormous. Great pics, thanks for sharing them.

Rope

Vinyl said:
Great room - lens not quite fisheye - must be close to 14mm?

Actually, it is a 15mm fisheye lens, a Canon 2.8 15mm EF. I used a rectilinear correction program called Fisheye-Hemi to remove the fisheye distortion, and perspective correction in Photoshop CS5 to get the verticals straight. These conversions lost a bit of the otherwise near 180 degree coverage of the lens. The lens was on my Canon 5D MKII, which is a full frame camera, so the 15mm is really 15mm.

Are those the horn/supertweeter crossovers sitting "naked" on the VOTTS behind the horns?

Added a picture of the equipment rack with the amps / active crossover etc. Click on "original" to see full size.

DIYer said:
What kind of equalizer are you using for the mains?

On the HF driver above 500Hz, its a two band passive LCR (the "R" part is an adjustable potiometer) line level filter with center frequencies set for where I need adjustment. The woofers have a single band active filter at 200Hz. The subwoofers use a Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro (stereo) which is using 14 bands, adjusted for frequencies where boost or cut is needed.

I thought you applied plaster over the back of curved portion to dampen the bass horn. :?:

Added a couple of tech geek shots of the back of my crossover / amplifier rack. The blue box with two knobs is the EQ filter for the HF horns (500Hz to 11kHz). The gray box on top of the ATI 1504 amp (4 channel for the surrounds) is a switch which routes signals to the surrounds either directly from the OPPO BDP-83 SE, from the delays and reverbs below the Dynaco MKIII tube amps for adding ambience to stereo recordings, or from the outputs of my ProTools digital audio workstation.

Above the SET tube amp is the active crossover, and above that, a Behringeer Feedback Destroyer Pro EQ for the subwoofers, a Furman power strip, active EQ for the woofers, and VU meters for monitoring levels.

The electronics directly above the ATI amplifier is a regulated DC 5 volt power supply for powering the filaments in the SET amplifier. This amp has to have squeaky clean power on the filaments otherwise buzz will be heard through the HF horns; at 106dB efficiency, any noise at all from the power amp will be heard.

Notice the chains to keep things in place in case of eqrthquakes. :scared-yipes:

soundhound said:
Added a couple of tech geek shots of the back of my crossover / amplifier rack. The blue box with two knobs is the EQ filter for the HF horns (500Hz to 11kHz). The gray box on top of the ATI 1504 amp (4 channel for the surrounds) is a switch which routes signals to the surrounds either directly from the OPPO BDP-83 SE, from the delays and reverbs below the Dynaco MKIII tube amps for adding ambience to stereo recordings, or from the outputs of my ProTools digital audio workstation.

Above the SET tube amp is the active crossover, and above that, a Behringeer Feedback Destroyer Pro EQ for the subwoofers, a Furman power strip, active EQ for the woofers, and VU meters for monitoring levels.

The electronics directly above the ATI amplifier is a regulated DC 5 volt power supply for powering the filaments in the SET amplifier. This amp has to have squeaky clean power on the filaments otherwise buzz will be heard through the HF horns; at 106dB efficiency, any noise at all from the power amp will be heard.

Notice the chains to keep things in place in case of eqrthquakes. :scared-yipes:

One of the many perks of living in So Cal. :eek:

Rope

I'm one of the lucky ones here who can honestly say...

....It sounds even better than it looks!!!!

I had the most amazing audition of "Dark Side of The Moon" there... I'll never forget it. We started playing the album and it seamed like only 10 mins had gone by and it was over. I was memorized the whole time.

Also, I can promise you this, the pics (as good as they are), don't do the place justice. Totally cool hangout room!!!!!!!!

It's not you John, they're gone again for me too... guess SH is redoing them again for some reason? They were there yesterday.

Back