• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Calamity

Haywood

Famous
I have always been careful to the point of paranoia around my main display, because of what I paid for it. Today, I was packing out the system and set some cables down on the cabinet in front of the TV. The cabinet was closer to the screen than usual and the wire pile was slightly higher than I thought. When I set the cables down, the pile tipped over and a power cable put an inch long scratch in the front of my TV. The front of the set is a single piece of glass, but I was fortunate enough that the scratch is in the bezel area and not in the screen. It is small. It could almost be confused for a cat hair, but it BOTHERS me greatly. I nearly had a panic attack when I did it and I'm still really upset. You can't even see if from viewing distance. Hell, you can only see if from five feet away if the lighting is right and you know what to look for. Yet I'm upset. Really upset.

Is that nuts?

Nah, not nuts at all. You have nice stuff and you want to take care of it. That is admirable.

As I age though I am not as sensitive to those sorts of things as I used to be. When I was younger I would have obsessed over that and let it raise my blood pressure. Hell, somebody tried stealing my, rather expensive to me, boat and banged it all up and the next weekend I loaded up the cooler and went out and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Oh man, i feel your pain. For a while it would KILL me, but as time wore on, i'd be ok.

As I age though I am not as sensitive to those sorts of things as I used to be.

Me too. A friend of mine helped me realize that nobody’s judging us because there’s a tiny flaw in something, even if you were trying to keep it extra nice.

After I calmed down, I realized that I can't see it from five feet away unless the lights are all the way up and I'm looking at it from the right angle and I know where to look for it. The scratch is really, really minor. It is more the fact that it was the first scratch on something I've worked hard to keep extra good care of and it was caused by me being dumb. I'll get over it. I'm much more worried about getting it off the wall, moved and mounted without damaging it. It is probably the thing about the move I worry about the most.

Wait until you gerbil it to the new place and then maybe see if you can polish the scratch out. I bet you can.

5a021113d975566aafab9743f5dd0739.jpg

The other day someone (unknown) damaged the side of the front bumper of my new used Audi A4 while I was in the grocery store. The side mirror was folded back (no damage) and that's what clued me into doing a walk-around to look for anything else, and led me to the bumper. Luckily all of the damage is confined to the plastic and not sheet metal.

What's this got to do with this post?

I now consider the car properly broken in and don't worry about what might happen to it next.

Life's too short.

Jeff

man, that would bother me.

i get to stare at a scratch on my 35 dollar timex, and up to this day it still bothers me.

but as jeff said, life is too short.

try using a buffering media, maybe that will help?

some car polish or what not? toothpaste works for cheapo watch scratches, i dont know if it is a good idea to try to fix a 6k tv. (if i remember right, you have the beautiful sony tv.)

Yeah, I hear you. Stuff like that is hard/impossible to un-see once you've noticed it. And I understand completely your being annoyed mainly with yourself about it. Is there some sort of kit you can use to polish/fill the scratch so it's even less noticeable? Seems like there ought to be something like that.

I am afraid to try to fix it, for fear of making things worse. At least it's not on the screen.

If it's a gloss back finish put a little oil on your finger or Q-tip and rub it into the scratch. That should make it nearly disappear. You could also put some clear coat paint on the tip of tooth pick or match(NEVER USE THE BRUSH!) and carefully fill in the scratch. Do this with caution, it could be made worse and u get one chance.

toothpaste normally 'fills' in the gap apparently. small fix for swatch watehes back then.

the car polish, i think was a suggestion because it follows the buffer cleaning method thingy.

toothpaste is an abrasive, detail wax isnt i believe. so less chances of damage.

just hopes that it doesnt get it worse.

Oil sounds less risky. Do I just use a dab of cooking oil and then clean the screen, leaving oil in the crack? The crack is, unfortunately, deep enough to feel with my fingernail.

Oh, my bad I thought it was on the bezel. You can still try it but proceed with caution. Yes, that would be fine. The oil acts like a clear coat, thus bringing back the shine in the original finish. This being the screen its self I'm clueless as to if it will help or if it might even damage the screen. Sorry I misunderstood where the scratch was.

Oh, my bad I thought it was on the bezel. You can still try it but proceed with caution. Yes, that would be fine. The oil acts like a clear coat, thus bringing back the shine in the original finish. This being the screen its self I'm clueless as to if it will help or if it might even damage the screen. Sorry I misunderstood where the scratch was.

It is on the bezel. The issue is that the entire front of the TV is a single piece of glass with the display, bezel and speaker under it. There are circular cut-outs for the drivers, but that's it. Everything except for the screen itself is glossy black, so the scratch stands out. I am very risk averse, because mistakes will stand out like a sore thumb. The scratch is only visible from directly in front of it and only out to five or six feet. If I can make the "white line effect" disappear, I doubt even I will be able to find it without effort.

It is on the bezel. The issue is that the entire front of the TV is a single piece of glass with the display, bezel and speaker under it. There are circular cut-outs for the drivers, but that's it. Everything except for the screen itself is glossy black, so the scratch stands out. I am very risk averse, because mistakes will stand out like a sore thumb. The scratch is only visible from directly in front of it and only out to five or six feet. If I can make the "white line effect" disappear, I doubt even I will be able to find it without effort.
In that case your fine to try the oil then

Back