• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Center Channel

Mr.6 said:
Zing said:
6 -

First, I assume you've perused through this thread because of the similar nature, right?

Second, how far away from the center channel is your listening position?

Third, and final assumption, the amp that currently drives your center would also drive your new center, right? What is that amp?

Zing,

Right.

12 feet away

Anthem MCA50

Get the 690. You will notice the improvement.

Zing said:
Mr.6 said:
Zing said:
6 -

First, I assume you've perused through this thread because of the similar nature, right?

Second, how far away from the center channel is your listening position?

Third, and final assumption, the amp that currently drives your center would also drive your new center, right? What is that amp?

Zing,

Right.

12 feet away

Anthem MCA50

Get the 690. You will notice the improvement.

Short and to the point! I like it.

Thanks!

Flint said:
So what you are saying is that your main stereo speakers are incapable of handing a normal center channel signal? Sound they were already deficient for the task.

Flint,
Not sure what you are trying to say? Would you care to rephrase? Sounds like in a roundabout way you are saying my previous speakers were crappy??

I am guessing here, but I think he was reinforcing his prior feelings that the Studio 20 makes a damn fine center channel speaker, especially in a 5-studio 20 configuration. Hinting that the Studio 100's were the real problem. I am pretty sure it was Flint Sarcasm.

Flint, if I am wrong, please clarify for us.

mcad64 said:
Flint said:
So what you are saying is that your main stereo speakers are incapable of handing a normal center channel signal? Sound they were already deficient for the task.

Flint,
Not sure what you are trying to say? Would you care to rephrase? Sounds like in a roundabout way you are saying my previous speakers were crappy??

I think what he is trying to say is that, why are your main stereo speakers good enough for mains but not good enough for a center channel? Which is what I was asking myself as well for my situation.

mcad64 said:
Flint said:

Flint,

I am not interested in which speakers we are speaking about. I am speaking on the principles of loudspeaker physics.

In my experience, a center channel speaker is not any more taxed, or pushed harder than, the main left and right speaker. So, when you said that when you tried using the same model of speaker for the center as you were using for the left and right channels that the center couldn't handle the demand put on it, then it stands to reason the main speakers cannot handle the demand put on them. So, I was making the point that any speaker capable of truly satisfying when used for main stereo channels without over-stress, then that same model of speaker should be more than sufficient for the center channel.

There are many inferences you can make from my logic, but I have no intention of starting a pissing war between us. I just cannot fathom that a speaker which can easily handle the left or right channel signal at sufficient levels cannot also handle the center channel in the same system.

Flint said:
mcad64 said:
Flint said:

Flint,

I am not interested in which speakers we are speaking about. I am speaking on the principles of loudspeaker physics.

In my experience, a center channel speaker is not any more taxed, or pushed harder than, the main left and right speaker. So, when you said that when you tried using the same model of speaker for the center as you were using for the left and right channels that the center couldn't handle the demand put on it, then it stands to reason the main speakers cannot handle the demand put on them. So, I was making the point that any speaker capable of truly satisfying when used for main stereo channels without over-stress, then that same model of speaker should be more than sufficient for the center channel.

There are many inferences you can make from my logic, but I have no intention of starting a pissing war between us. I just cannot fathom that a speaker which can easily handle the left or right channel signal at sufficient levels cannot also handle the center channel in the same system.
Your logic is impeccable.

I've been thinking hard, but I too am hard pressed to remember a situation where the centre channel signal has been more "demanding" than the front R/L channels. I know of many that are as demanding - including many movies where explosions/ effects and dialogue are competing for attention, and the occasional 5.1 SACD that makes full use of the centre channel.

I suppose, just for supposition sake, that dialogue-heavy centre channel tracks can place a different "demand" on a speaker than what would be experienced by the other speakers in the system. I could then see that if those other speakers had difficulty (of any kind) with the typical dialogue frequency range, that a mismatched, rather than matched, centre channel could be called for, and that yes, for that specific type of sound reproduction, that replacement centre speaker could be considered superior to those in the rest of the system.

But that then takes us down a slippery slope of perhaps choosing completely mismatched speakers for very specific needs at different locations, which could then lead to other concerns (like loss of timbre-matching etc.).

I still think that the goal should be to have fully-capable (not necessarily full-size) speakers in every location, and that these should be as closely "matched" as possible. But as I supposed, there might still be a need / desire to have an even more capable speaker in the centre position, if there happened to be unique needs for that position.

And as I supposed, about the only differentiator that I can think of would be dialogue. Which brings us back, circularly, to the discussion / logic as to whether any speaker should be considered "deficient" if it can't handle the demands for dialogue as well as a different speaker could.

Making any sense?

Jeff

What I should have said is it always sounded too quiet. I did the old Radio Shack SPL meter and set them all the same. When it came time for movies I found I couldn't hear the dialogue. What I guess I should have done is increased the centre channel a couple of decibels. In the meantime, I got upgradeitis. I didn't want to buy two pairs of mains(that would have left me with one extra) as I was keeping my four old surrounds. So instead I chose a traditional centre speaker. I went up the speaker food chain and am much happier with the mains and the dialogue especially from the centre. Am I worried about lobing, not in the least. I am an audio neanderthal. I have an untreated non-dedicated 900 sq.foot basement to fill. These mains do it in spades for music and the centre is great for dialogue in movies. I'm a happy camper.
Surely, I am not the only heretic on this forum who uses a dedicated centre speaker in the horizontal configuration??
Mike
PS: Sorry if I mistook your statement Flint. I apologize.

Anyone can do whatever they want, and I will respect them for it. I am most happy that you enjoy your system, as enjoyment of movies and music is what this is all about.

I just read what appeared to be advice recommending a larger and diiferent center chanel.speaker was the best approach because a.matched speaker was incapable of keeping up with the signal. That logic baffled me, so I challenged the logic.

Lord Mackwood....

I am duly impressed with your thoughtful and carefully worded response.proving a.circular logic hold of doom and dismey upon which we might hang our hats of audio decision making and advice rendering with security.

That said, I cannot think of an instance where dialog in a center channel would be a greater burden than the rock of Led Zepplin or pop of Beyonce or screech of any number of talentless Canadian wannabe copy cat musicians. If a main strlereo speaker do justice to the loud, boomy, compressed mayhem of Rush or the drug soaked groaling of the Guess Who, than it should handle even the worst sounding soundtrack dialog as a center channel. Assuming the bass management has be fairly applied to the signals, no bound should be limited.

200_s.gif

I intend to try toking once I hit retirement, too. :angelic-green:

ps. I just re-read Flint's last post. He most certainly is more deserving of the "High" title - either that or he typed his post with boxing gloves on, and spell check off!

I have the same setup. Studio 100/20 cc.

This sounds fine to me so far.

Tomorrow is speaker calibration day. It should only get better.

In a real-world typical film mix, most sound effects (which are usually mono) are fed to the center channel. So the center typically reproduces the dialog, the center channel of the music mix (if applicable) and most of the mono sound effects.

Realistically this does not matter in a home since the low frequencies, which are by far the largest burden on a speaker, are directed to the dedicated subwoofer.

So, the center does not need to be "more capable" than the left and right mains.

When ya'll have all these Paradigm Studio 20's laying around & not being used.....I'll store (more like use ) 'em.
Love my Studio 20 v2's that I got used from -B-

Back