• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Change is Coming - New House Setup

mzpro5

Famous
By now y'all know about the big move I will be making over the next month or so and now is the time to decide what I am going to do with my AV/HT setups (yes setups) for the new place. Here is the equipment I will have available to me:

Onkyo 5508
Outlaw 990
Sony STR DE945 5.1 receiver

Outlaw 7700 seven channel amp
Behringer A500 2 channel amp

SVS 5 speaker MTS/MCS system
BIC America five speaker system
SVS 20-39 PC+
BIC America D-1010R sub

Samsung PN58A650 1080p display
Samsung HP T-5054 720p display

OPPO BDP-93
OPPO BDP-83
Sony BDP S550

Sony CDP-545 5 disc CD player
Phillips CDR 756 two drawer CD recorder/player

Roku XDS player
Roku LT player
Squeezebox

My main HT will be in the basement. I plan on using the Sammy 58", the Onkyo 5508 w/ outlaw 7700, the SVS speakers, the OPPO 93 and the Roku XDS there.

There will be a secondary HT system upstairs in the living room and there is where I am not sure about some of the equipment, in particular the processing part. The Sammy 50", the BIC speakers, the Sony CD changer and the OPPO 83 along with the SB will go in the LR. (eventually I will get a SB for the basement).

Here is the question? Should I use the old Sony receiver (no HDMI pretty old but it is not bad), buy an amp to use the 990 with or just buy a new receiver like the Onkyo TX-NR616 that Amazon has for $400?

The 990 is a great p/p and if it had HDMI capabilities I probably wouldn't have upgraded to the Onkyo 5508 at this time but with the move it seemed right. Of course I could hook it up to the Behringer amp for a two channel music system to put in the DR that I am turning into a small library.

Money is a bit of an issue with other everything going on but there is a bit of leeway there.

I'm sure I left something out but your thoughts?

mzpro5 said:
By now y'all know about the big move I will be making over the next month or so and now is the time to decide what I am going to do with my AV/HT setups (yes setups) for the new place. Here is the equipment I will have available to me:

Onkyo 5508
Outlaw 990
Sony STR DE945 5.1 receiver

Outlaw 7700 seven channel amp
Behringer A500 2 channel amp

SVS 5 speaker MTS/MCS system
BIC America five speaker system
SVS 20-39 PC+
BIC America D-1010R sub

Samsung PN58A650 1080p display
Samsung HP T-5054 720p display

OPPO BDP-93
OPPO BDP-83
Sony BDP S550

Sony CDP-545 5 disc CD player
Phillips CDR 756 two drawer CD recorder/player

Roku XDS player
Roku LT player
Squeezebox

My main HT will be in the basement. I plan on using the Sammy 58", the Onkyo 5508, the SVS speakers, the OPPO 93 and the Roku XDS there.

There will be a secondary HT system upstairs in the living room and there is where I am not sure about some of the equipment, in particular the processing part. The Sammy 50", the BIC speakers and the OPPO 83 along with the SB will go in the LR (eventually I will get a SB for the basement).

Here is the question? Should I use the old Sony receiver (no HDMI pretty old but it is not bad), buy an amp to use the 990 with or just buy a new receiver like the Onkyo TX-NR616 that Amazon has for $400?

The 990 is a great p/p and if it had HDMI capabilities I probably wouldn't have upgraded to the Onkyo 5508 at this time but with the move it seemed right. Of course I could hook it up to the Behringer amp for a two channel music system to put in the DR that I am turning into a small library.

Money is a bit of an issue with other everything going on but there is a bit of leeway there.

I'm sure I left something out but your thoughts?

What are the plans for the Outlaw 7700?

Jeff, sorry sometimes it is hard to picture what someone else is doing, at least for me. I'm always a fan of adding an amp, but would hate to not have hdmi switching. That alone makes life so much easier. If it was me, I would probably save or figure out a way to get a nice pre/pro and/or add an amplifier.

Huey said:
Jeff, sorry sometimes it is hard to picture what someone else is doing, at least for me. I'm always a fan of adding an amp, but would hate to not have hdmi switching. That alone makes life so much easier. If it was me, I would probably save or figure out a way to get a nice pre/pro and/or add an amplifier.

I guess i am confusing people. I have 2 pre/pro's the new Onkyo 5508 with HDMI and the Outlaw 990 which has no HDMI. As of now I have no multichannel amp to hook up with the Outlaw though I have considered it pairing it with the 2 channel Behringer for music.

So for the living room the choice's are old Sony receiver (no HDMI), buy an amp to go with the 990 (no HDMI) or buy a receiver like the linked Onkyo with HDMI, , which would be cheaper than getting another good multi-channel amp and put me up to date regarding HDMI and such.

For the BIC speakers, I would buy a receiver if the HDMI switching is a MUST. The 990 is a great pre/pro, but you'd be hard pressed to get rid of it for any $$ now, so I'd keep it and use it for a 2 channel setup.

Or, buy an outboard HDMI switch from monoprice, keep the 990, and run audio through it. A used Parasound or Emotiva 5 channel amp would work with those BIC's.

jamhead said:
For the BIC speakers, I would buy a receiver if the HDMI switching is a MUST. The 990 is a great pre/pro, but you'd be hard pressed to get rid of it for any $$ now, so I'd keep it and use it for a 2 channel setup.

Or, buy an outboard HDMI switch from monoprice, keep the 990, and run audio through it. A used Parasound or Emotiva 5 channel amp would work with those BIC's.

I have seen people asking $300 for used 990 on eBay but it is much too good for me to let it go at that price.

I think I will use the old Sony receiver to begin with. It is currently setup in the basement with the 720p Sammy and the BIC speakers in a 3.1 setup.

After the smoke settles and I see how the money is I'll get a receiver with HDMI.

At least that is my thinking now, it could change in an hour. :happy-smileygiantred:

Oh I forgot to mention that I plan on adding a projector to the basement setup in a year or so.

mzpro5 said:
....So for the living room the choice's are old Sony receiver (no HDMI), buy an amp to go with the 990 (no HDMI) or buy a receiver like the linked Onkyo with HDMI, , which would be cheaper than getting another good multi-channel amp and put me up to date regarding HDMI and such.

My vote would be the receiver with HDMI. if this means have to use what you got a little longer, so be it. I agree with Huey about the importance of HDMI. I love my Onkyo receiver that replaced my Denon 3803. What about Bluray? Do you have that covered in each system? I know someone with a nice Bluray player that also streams and plays games if one system is needing Bluray capability ;)

You mentioned the 990 going for $300 on eBay. is that cleared money? eBay's not like it used to be when it comes to selling. The fees are higher with all the Buyer Protection stuff they have now. I'd be surprised if you cleared $200 if you go that route.

Yesfan70 said:
mzpro5 said:
....So for the living room the choice's are old Sony receiver (no HDMI), buy an amp to go with the 990 (no HDMI) or buy a receiver like the linked Onkyo with HDMI, , which would be cheaper than getting another good multi-channel amp and put me up to date regarding HDMI and such.

My vote would be the receiver with HDMI. if this means have to use what you got a little longer, so be it. I agree with Huey about the importance of HDMI. I love my Onkyo receiver that replaced my Denon 3803. What about Bluray? Do you have that covered in each system? I know someone with a nice Bluray player that also streams and plays games if one system is needing Bluray capability ;)

You mentioned the 990 going for $300 on eBay. is that cleared money? eBay's not like it used to be when it comes to selling. The fees are higher with all the Buyer Protection stuff they have now. I'd be surprised if you cleared $200 if you go that route.

Thanks for your ideas YF.

Yeah I've got BD both in the basement (OPPO 93) and in the LR (OPPO 83) and still have the Sony BDP S 550 which I think I will give to Mom for her new place.

Concerning the 990 I am not going to be giving it up, it is just too nice. I plan on turning the DR into a small library and for now I think I will pair it with the Behringer 2 channel amp, the Phillips CD recorder/player and add an older Toshiba linear tracking turn table I forgot I had to be in there.

The one big problem i neglected to mention is the LR has a gas fireplace causing the familiar quandary of setup in a room with a fireplace. The opposite wall has a grandfather clock which is a pretty complicated thing to move. Right now the temporary solution is to not use the fireplace and put the TV in front of it.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

mzpro5 said:
Gee guys a forum about HT/AV and no one has an idea/opinion?
Well, here's my excuse. I spent several months putting together my own system (and it was a single system), I just don't have the knowledge of looking at the "Deenun 0U81-2" and knowing what its strengths/weaknesses are, or even how many channels it features. When I was 19 my Team Electronics catalog was worn and dog-eared, and I knew every piece like the back of my hand. Now that I'm older and have more interests (I did not say intranetz pr0n :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered: ) I just can't keep up on all the new gear!*
However, I can give you two small nuggets from reading your list:

1) You have something made by Behringer. SELLITSELLITSELLIT, hopefully within the next three weeks, before it breaks!

2) You have two Oppo's; while this phrase is normally reserved for new gear, You Suck! :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered: :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

* I put my system together about two and a half years ago now. I "bought" my LG tv from Best Buy, who sent me on a wild goose chase to discover they didn't have one in stock anywhere in the state. I cancelled the "buy" and rarely set foot into a BB again. Well, the local BB moved a 1/2 mile down the road to a much bigger facility, and I entered yesterday to trade in my unused/duplicate DVDs for $5 coupons on new Blurays. I wandered past the "TV Wall" and was floored at how ancient my <3-yr-old LG looks anymore! Seeing a new Samsung LED, 70", with a screen border less than an inch thick, WOW those are good-looking TVs!
I'm struggling to stick with my life mantra of using something until it falls apart... :|

Yeah that Oppo 93 is awesome, I kind of miss mine, but my phobia of matching equipment won out...Sounds to me like the makings of a couple nice systems.

Botch said:
However, I can give you two small nuggets from reading your list:

1) You have something made by Behringer. SELLITSELLITSELLIT, hopefully within the next three weeks, before it breaks!

2) You have two Oppo's; while this phrase is normally reserved for new gear, You Suck! :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered: :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

* I put my system together about two and a half years ago now. I "bought" my LG tv from Best Buy, who sent me on a wild goose chase to discover they didn't have one in stock anywhere in the state. I cancelled the "buy" and rarely set foot into a BB again. Well, the local BB moved a 1/2 mile down the road to a much bigger facility, and I entered yesterday to trade in my unused/duplicate DVDs for $5 coupons on new Blurays. I wandered past the "TV Wall" and was floored at how ancient my <3-yr-old LG looks anymore! Seeing a new Samsung LED, 70", with a screen border less than an inch thick, WOW those are good-looking TVs!
I'm struggling to stick with my life mantra of using something until it falls apart... :|

I've had the Behringer for 3-4 years and no problems though it has only been used to drive my zone 2 speakers for outside listening which means it is relatively new.

When I bought the 93 I had a buyer for the 83 who pulled out at the last minute. In the end it appears to be fortuitous.

I remember you relating you adventure with BB and it was quite the cluster f*ck.

Batman said:
Yeah that Oppo 93 is awesome, I kind of miss mine, but my phobia of matching equipment won out...Sounds to me like the makings of a couple nice systems.

Well I know that it will be a work in progress for the next couple years. I got the new Pre/pro for the serious HT in the basement and in my mind that was the primary thing I wanted for the move.

It has rekindled my AV/HT hormone that has been dormant since completing my current system which is perfect for my current home.

BUMP

Hmmmm. I was hoping for a bit more discussion/input/ questions/ criticism on my situation. Perhaps Flint was right a couple weeks ago.

Flint said:
This hasn't really been an A/V forum for years. It is more of a food and digital photography forum these days.

Guess my expectations were out of line.

Don't be like that.

You know us well enough to know the answers you'll get from the regulars. If you need HDMI switching, buy a new receiver. If you prefer the flexibility/quality of a standalone processor, use you exiting gear buy an amp. If you want both, buy a processor. We know you well enough to not tell you what's "right".

Here is my take.
For a secondary system I really wouldn't care about the very (IMHO) minor differences in sound quality. To me it'd come down to convenience and ease of use. With that in mind I'd want HDMI switching. With upgrading in mind I'd look for a recceiver with pre-outs.

Towen7 said:
Don't be like that.

You know us well enough to know the answers you'll get from the regulars. If you need HDMI switching, buy a new receiver. If you prefer the flexibility/quality of a standalone processor, use you exiting gear buy an amp. If you want both, buy a processor. We know you well enough to not tell you what's "right".

Here is my take.
For a secondary system I really wouldn't care about the very (IMHO) minor differences in sound quality. To me it'd come down to convenience and ease of use. With that in mind I'd want HDMI switching. With upgrading in mind I'd look for a recceiver with pre-outs.

Thanks T7 - your take is the type of response I was hoping for.

In my circle of friends I am the "go to" guy for HT/AV but I realize in reality there many people that know much more than me and a lot of them can be found right here. That is why I reached out. Yeah I may know what some will say but it is nice at times to get a bit of reassurance and at times people surprise you with their ideas. There was a time (here and at S&V) that such a thread would have generated pages of responses that's all.

I apologize for my whining. After posting that I realized that a number of people are traveling or getting ready to travel to the GTG and don't have the time right now. Disregard my self pity.

For my secondary system (2.0 system in the family room), I purchased a refurbished Onkyo HC 360 for 260 bucks. It's a 2011 model, but has networking abilities, 6 HDMI inputs, a sub out, and powered zone 2. All things I may need in the future. With this system, I don't care about audio quality too much, as it's for movies, TV, and background listening. Actually, I haven't watched a movie (lack of display) in my HT area for 3 years.

Anyway, that's why my advice was to buy a receiver, or go with a workaround on your 990 processor. I'm a guy that doesn't buy anything until it breaks, so if I had the 990, I'd probably buy a switch and use it. In fact, if I get a display in my HT one day, I would probably continue to use the Rotel receiver for the center/surrounds and buy a switch for HDMI duty.

But again, that's me. I haven't received the Onkyo yet (supposedly today) so I can fill you in on the performance once it's hooked up. I only hope the thing works.

couldnt reply as well mzpro,

aside from my personal dilemna, your gear is pretty much higher grade than the chicken feed stuff i normally have.

aside from my oppo from yesteryears of dvd, i dont really have any upgraded stuff even close to yours.

im still cringing on the hdmi switching AVR tho. reason is my AVR with hdmi will NOT do sh*t if my tv is off. of course, the tvs new, but it didnt do that in the past with my older tv.

best wishes good friend.

Back