• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Change is Coming - New House Setup

jamhead said:
For my secondary system (2.0 system in the family room), I purchased a refurbished Onkyo HC 360 for 260 bucks. It's a 2011 model, but has networking abilities, 6 HDMI inputs, a sub out, and powered zone 2. All things I may need in the future. With this system, I don't care about audio quality too much, as it's for movies, TV, and background listening. Actually, I haven't watched a movie (lack of display) in my HT area for 3 years.

Anyway, that's why my advice was to buy a receiver, or go with a workaround on your 990 processor. I'm a guy that doesn't buy anything until it breaks, so if I had the 990, I'd probably buy a switch and use it. In fact, if I get a display in my HT one day, I would probably continue to use the Rotel receiver for the center/surrounds and buy a switch for HDMI duty.

But again, that's me. I haven't received the Onkyo yet (supposedly today) so I can fill you in on the performance once it's hooked up. I only hope the thing works.

The only new thing I bought for this change at this time was the Onkyo 5508 Pre/pro. I'll use the older stuff in some configuration until my "play funds" are replenished, probably sometime next year.

Considering the Outlaw situation it was a good move.

You said "Money is a bit of an issue with other everything going on but there is a bit of leeway there."
Man, with all your plans & all the gear you already have & even consider getting another receiver & PJ..........wished I had a money issue...... :bow-blue:
I'm like Botch.......I've been out of the specs of equipment that is offered now & the new displays make me cry.
You know more than most about this stuff.
Good luck with your move & new home......

Barney said:
You said "Money is a bit of an issue with other everything going on but there is a bit of leeway there."
Man, with all your plans & all the gear you already have & even consider getting another receiver & PJ..........wished I had a money issue...... :bow-blue:
I'm like Botch.......I've been out of the specs of equipment that is offered now & the new displays make me cry.
You know more than most about this stuff.
Good luck with your move & new home......

Thanks for the vote of confidence Barn. Of course my money situation is helped a lot by not having a family to support. Just me. That plus frugal practices over the last 30-40 years has helped a lot in building up a bit of a reserve. But with full retirement just a few years away I gotta watch the spending.

Spent the day at the big house moving the HT setup in the basement to the living room. The TV is an older Samsung plasma HP T5054, 720 p. it has 3 HD inputs but when trying to run the DirecTV box using HDMI I kept getting a message from the TV "media signal not compatable" .try everything different HDMI port, different cable but nothing worked. Tried Component connection and worked like a charm.

Why wouldn't the HDMI work. BD player works via HDMI. The TV is a bit older the STB only a couple months old. I realize they have upgraded HDMI versions- could that be the problem?

mzpro5 said:
I realize they have upgraded HDMI versions- could that be the problem?
I don't think so. I believe every HDMI version has been backwards compatible with the exception of certain features however the root signal is always passed and processed.

mzpro5 said:
Spent the day at the big house moving the HT setup in the basement to the living room. The TV is an older Samsung plasma HP T5054, 720 p. it has 3 HD inputs but when trying to run the DirecTV box using HDMI I kept getting a message from the TV "media signal not compatable" .try everything different HDMI port, different cable but nothing worked. Tried Component connection and worked like a charm.

Why wouldn't the HDMI work. BD player works via HDMI. The TV is a bit older the STB only a couple months old. I realize they have upgraded HDMI versions- could that be the problem?

check and see the signal being sent by the DirectTV box, is it 1080i? if so, the TV MIGHT not like it. see if you can set it up for standard def f irst, then hit up the 720 or 1080i afterwards.

jomari said:
mzpro5 said:

check and see the signal being sent by the DirectTV box, is it 1080i? if so, the TV MIGHT not like it. see if you can set it up for standard def f irst, then hit up the 720 or 1080i afterwards.
The more I think about it I think that may be it.

Mom's TV that was previously connected to the STB was a 1080p and I never changed any settings. So tomorrow I'll check it and see.

jomari said:
mzpro5 said:

Bingo j that was the problem. working off HDMI now.

Back