• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

CLASSICAL Music

:geek: Hmm... we seem to be missing the "innocent look" smiley...

This is an interesting one. For a long time, some of my favorite piano trio (piano, violin, cello) music has been Rachmaninoff's Elegaic trios - written upon the death of Tchaikovsky, one of Rachmaninoff's mentors and supporters in his early years. I love this recording:

Anyway, one of my fellow church choir members pointed out to me this interesting recording:

It's a transcription of the trio for piano and orchestra, written and performed by Alan Kogosowski. It's very well done, and the full orchestra adds a lot of depth and color to the music that's not possible with a chamber music trio. I like it a lot! If you're looking for some big, rich sound with gorgeous melodies, this is a good one.

(wow, I almost couldn't find an image of this CD...)

My first Rach symphony (I didn't even know he wrote any, all I have from him are piano pieces). According to the liner notes, he wrote his first symphony and was widely blasted for it (damn critics :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered: ) and it was a decade before he came out with this one. Definitely need to listen to it many times, he does a lot of "solo voice vs. the rest of the orch." call-and-response.

The CD recording had just a slightly "murky" sound to it, almost like it was recorded from a good LP. It wasn't until the end of the CD I realized it was a LIVE recording! Usually I can hear coughs, dopes applauding between the 3rd and 4th movements, chair squeaks, etc which tips me off to a live recording, but this audience was actually very quiet! Glad I got it. :text-bravo:

(Hi, poor poor lonely thread! )

:) Well just ordered my first batch of new classical CDs in a while (except the one Rach thing above), from hbdirect.com that has a nice filter on price, so you can choose stuff for <$8. Not bad. I'll post more when they show up...

SIGCD173.jpg

soundhound said:
Stockhausen, Ligeti, Penderecki. Beyond that, I don't know shit about classikal musick. :teasing-tease:

:text-+1:

I actually thought those were all foreign cars?!?!

Dennie :text-imnewhere:

I believe the hound is name dropping Dennie – welcome back to the fold Soundhound – I’ve missed you.

Just heard the best Barber Adagio by Tokyo String Quartet on Public Radio - slower, bigger, beautiful husky violas impossible to confuse with violins - Also found the only Carmina Burana approved by Orff himself – I have the Kegel version on vinyl it's ok but ... reviews indicate this is the "spooky version" fast and fiery.

Ordered Both!

Attachments

• Tokyo String Quartet.jpg
    Tokyo String Quartet.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 4,053
  • Carmina Burana.jpg
    Carmina Burana.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 4,053
Interesting! If I liked Carmina Burana more, I'd probably go for it. I have a recording of it, but I just haven't been able to get into that particular work. That Tokyo quartet looks cool.

Probably the best version of Carmina Burana I have is with Riccardo Muti. This version was also done with Orff's paricipation. I don't know if its available anymore though.

I've discovered a very interesting outfit recently, called Musical Concepts (http://www.musicalconcepts.net/). From what I can tell, they seem to be in the business of producing CDs of mostly older performances of classical works that have not yet been transferred to digital media. Their catalog is not huge, but there's some good stuff on there, by top-notch musicians.

The best part is that they're inexpensive! If you go to HBDirect.com, which is currently my favorite online classical music dealer, you can get any of them for $6.49, and you get free shipping if you order >$25.

I've already got over a half-dozen of these albums, listening to this one right now. It's very good, and Richter doesn't have a lot of recordings compared to some, so this is a gem. I'm also getting some Schubert of his from this label.

Anyway, this is a great way to expand your classical collection without spending a ton!

:eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

My obsession du jour:

Rachmaninoff's Corelli Variations

I've always loved this piece, have had the above recording for many years. I have another recording by Pletnev (which I'm listening to right now), and have ordered two others by Earl Wild and Olga Kern, which I look forward to hearing. Not a terribly long piece, but very intense and difficult to play. Not that any Rachmaninoff piano music is particularly easy...

Anyway, this is one of those pieces that is deep enough to warrant very different interpretations by many artists, one of the great things about classical music that mostly doesn't exist in the non-classical world. Well maybe a bit in jazz, but it's different because of the improvisational nature of that style. With classical, the notes are the same, but the interpretation, feeling, emotion, can be very different and extremely personal. It's more subtle, but it in its own way, more rewarding to explore. One of the reasons I love classical music!

Would it kill you to post in this thread more than once every two months?!?! Some of us could use a little culture.

Alright, I'll pick up the pace a little. ;) Have also got three versions of Shostakovich's Preludes+Fugues on the way, I'll do a review once I've heard them all.

And Tom, just for that, I apologize for all my Texas jokes. :shifty:

By all means... keep em' coming.

Just realize that were not all rednecks...

DSC_1198.jpg

Back