• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

CLASSICAL Music

:laughing: Yeah Mozart was a bit of a jerk, it seems.
Ya think?

mozart_laughing.jpg

The only thing to add to this after Zing posted the picture of Thomas Hulce is :moon::moon:

A Canadian treat: listening to CBC (public broadcaster) Radio 2 during the day for a delicious feast of commercial-free classical (and more) music - especially while driving.

The morning's all-classical "Tempo" (0900 - 1300), hosted by opera singer Julie Nesrallah, sets up the early afternoon's (1300 - 1530) "Shift With Tom Allen" that "begins with classical music and travels through multiple musical worlds before setting foot down in the Canadian and international singer-songwriter scene." (Quotation from CBC's web site - says it better than I could.) Which then leads into Rich Terfry's "Drive" (1530 - 1900) that "is the song you haven't heard in eons, the band you wish got more radio play, the music you feel passionate about. Roots, rock, acoustic, Brit-pop, modern favorites and, most importantly, Canadian music. It's the fascinating stories behind the music you love...It's a love letter to Canadian towns and cities across the country...It's Rich Terfry's special brand of story-telling." (Ditto.)

Jeff

I grudgingly echo recommendations from Stereophile, but they do come up with some good stuff:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/podgers-delightful-four-seasons

This performance does something which seems impossible; it makes a piece of music I've heard a million times and become sick of seem like an entirely new composition. Its that good, and the sound quality isn't bad either. Aside from Le Quattro Stagioni, there are a couple of concertos which are noteworthy; listen to Concerto Grosso Mogul - Grave Recitativo, which is the penultimate track on the album - the way it lingers on the natural minor scale, but pour a glass of good wine and dim the lights first.

The instruments are period, or period inspired. Listen to the decays at the end of some of the movements; you will hear the strings ring out with partials which go slightly sharp; something you don't hear with "modern" instruments, and the tonality is more earthy than what has become the norm.

I downloaded the DSD stereo version, but there's also multi-channel available.

You might be able to audition it on Spotify before committing to a purchase, but I would just go ahead and buy it.

Reactions: zod
Thanks for 1) introducing me to Rachel Podger, about whom I (embarrassingly) had never heard of until your post and 2) to this particular recording of one of my favourite classical works.

I'm looking over Podger's extensive discography to see what else I've apparently been missing.

Jeff

I gather that her Brecon Baroque ensemble uses period instruments on all of their albums. I quick search has turned up two other SACD releases: another Vivaldi and a Bach. There may be others.

Ordered. Not my favorite piece, it's SO overplayed. But this sounds interesting!

I grudgingly echo recommendations from Stereophile, but they do come up with some good stuff:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/podgers-delightful-four-seasons

This performance does something which seems impossible; it makes a piece of music I've heard a million times and become sick of seem like an entirely new composition. Its that good, and the sound quality isn't bad either. Aside from Le Quattro Stagioni, there are a couple of concertos which are noteworthy; listen to Concerto Grosso Mogul - Grave Recitativo, which is the penultimate track on the album - the way it lingers on the natural minor scale, but pour a glass of good wine and dim the lights first.

The instruments are period, or period inspired. Listen to the decays at the end of some of the movements; you will hear the strings ring out with partials which go slightly sharp; something you don't hear with "modern" instruments, and the tonality is more earthy than what has become the norm.

I downloaded the DSD stereo version, but there's also multi-channel available.

You might be able to audition it on Spotify before committing to a purchase, but I would just go ahead and buy it.

Listening to this now... and yeah it's certainly different from any other recording of this I've heard. I like the spareness of such a small ensemble, much more intimate feel to it than your more typical big orchestral rendition. And yeah the period instruments are cool here.

FYI Podger is now working with Voces8, a terrific vocal ensemble that I've recently "discovered" - should be good.

Oh crap! I didn't know it until today, but the legendary Andre Previn passed away on 28-Feb-2019 (yesterday as of this posting).

I own at least a dozen CDs and LPs of performances he conducted. I need to do a binge listen.

Oh crap! I didn't know it until today, but the legendary Andre Previn passed away on 28-Feb-2019 (yesterday as of this posting).

I own at least a dozen CDs and LPs of performances he conducted. I need to do a binge listen.
That sucks. RIP Andre. Yeah I have a LOT of recordings with him. My favorites are his Beethoven symphonies.

Not much of a classical fan, but saw on Facebook that HDTracks was discounting Naxos music 50%. LINK

^.... and it's cool (to me) to see her getting recognition like this outside the purely classical sphere.

Back